123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Audio In / Digital audio out
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bubba

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:56 pm    Post subject: Audio In / Digital audio out Reply with quote

Supposedly these work natively in OS X and are a deal today at $30 and free shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000ULADG/bubbaorg-20/104-6280929-0043167?%5Fencoding=UTF8&camp=2025&link%5Fcode=xm2

iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice. May have to get me one of these... Smile
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mini should of had an Audio-in port!
iLife's a Bitch!
casiop

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 5:54 am    Post subject: Nice Reply with quote

Thatís a pretty good deal. The front style of it looks sharp too!
bubba

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now its back up to $40.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You snooze you loose! Wink
iLife's a Bitch!
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang it!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bruintoo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Audio In / Digital audio out Reply with quote

THIS DOES NOT WORK FOR MACS (9 OR X)! IT'S FALSE ADVERTISING. SAVE YOURSELF THE HASSLE AND DON'T ORDER. IF you don't believe read the Amazon ratings or read the Philips website.

Just go and grab M-Audio Transit USB instead. IT gives you a digital and analog out plus analog or digital in.
-Bruin

bubba wrote:
Supposedly these work natively in OS X and are a deal today at $30 and free shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000ULADG/bubbaorg-20/104-6280929-0043167?%5Fencoding=UTF8&camp=2025&link%5Fcode=xm2

travism

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Audio In / Digital audio out Reply with quote

bruintoo wrote:
THIS DOES NOT WORK FOR MACS (9 OR X)! IT'S FALSE ADVERTISING. SAVE YOURSELF THE HASSLE AND DON'T ORDER. IF you don't believe read the Amazon ratings or read the Philips website.

I agree it's a better choice and it's not that expensive at around 100 bucks.

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Transit-main.html

Mini powered since 2-22-05!
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone know of a good ADAT (optical) input (either USB or firewire) for the mini???
bubba

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Audio In / Digital audio out Reply with quote

travism wrote:
bruintoo wrote:

I agree it's a better choice and it's not that expensive at around 100 bucks.

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Transit-main.html

$100 not expensive for audio in???

I don't care about optical out, all I care about is Input, which supposedly works.
bruintoo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M-Audio's Sonica Transit has optical or analog audio in. You can get it for around $79 at Digitraxx. The Philips one doesn't even come with drivers for Mac OS X - how in the world will that work?
-Bruin
aplowe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

> The Philips one doesn't even come with drivers for Mac OS X -
> how in the world will that work?

The Apple usb audio/speakers that came with my Cube and the Edirol UA-1D I'm now using with it use OS X's generic/default usb audio driver.

I expect that some, if not most, usb audio devices will work without installing anything. It's doubtful that the generic driver would support advanced features such as 24-bit/96kHz audio and DTS/DD audio pass-through.
numediaman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to let you know . . . the Philips WILL work on the mini, sort of . . .

I figured for the price I'd try out the Philips. I plugged it in and the mini instantly recognized it -- though it needs to be in a powered USB port -- either the mini itself, a hub, or in my case, my Cinema Display. No driver was needed for the mini to recognize it in Sound Prefs.

But . . . Garageband sees it but treats it like the iSight mic and grays it out. Final Vinyl doesn't see it because it is not an iMic. CD SpinDoctor gave me distorted audio -- its hard to tell whether this is the fault of the software or the hardware (I've had problems with this software since it was migrated over from my laptop and unfortunately I no longer have the original discs to do a clean install). Audiocorder also gave me distorted audio, though I don't understand that little program and never use it.

Audacity, another free audio program, was fine, however. It captured the audio and the sound seems distortion free and the quality "seems" better than the iMic.

I don't have any other advanced audio programs on the mini right now.

Verdict: ?? I probably would pass on this -- but its hard to decide. In the meantime, someone here mentioned Digitraxx so I looked up the site and called the guy. He's a one-man operation, which is a little scary -- but I decided to order the Audiophile USB product from him because it seems to be a major step up in quality over both the iMic or Transit USB. The other option was the Mobile Pre USB, of course.
bruintoo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my M-Audio Transit from Digitraxx. It was hassle-free transaction. Did the Philips works with system sounds, iTunes, or DVD Player?
-Bruin

numediaman wrote:
Just to let you know . . . the Philips WILL work on the mini, sort of . . .

I figured for the price I'd try out the Philips. I plugged it in and the mini instantly recognized it -- though it needs to be in a powered USB port -- either the mini itself, a hub, or in my case, my Cinema Display. No driver was needed for the mini to recognize it in Sound Prefs.

But . . . Garageband sees it but treats it like the iSight mic and grays it out. Final Vinyl doesn't see it because it is not an iMic. CD SpinDoctor gave me distorted audio -- its hard to tell whether this is the fault of the software or the hardware (I've had problems with this software since it was migrated over from my laptop and unfortunately I no longer have the original discs to do a clean install). Audiocorder also gave me distorted audio, though I don't understand that little program and never use it.

Audacity, another free audio program, was fine, however. It captured the audio and the sound seems distortion free and the quality "seems" better than the iMic.

I don't have any other advanced audio programs on the mini right now.

Verdict: ?? I probably would pass on this -- but its hard to decide. In the meantime, someone here mentioned Digitraxx so I looked up the site and called the guy. He's a one-man operation, which is a little scary -- but I decided to order the Audiophile USB product from him because it seems to be a major step up in quality over both the iMic or Transit USB. The other option was the Mobile Pre USB, of course.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: