123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Audio In / Digital audio out
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
bubba
Member
Member


Joined: 01 Feb 2005
Posts: 227
Location: Raleigh, NC

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:56 pm    Post subject: Audio In / Digital audio out Reply with quote

Supposedly these work natively in OS X and are a deal today at $30 and free shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000ULADG/bubbaorg-20/104-6280929-0043167?%5Fencoding=UTF8&camp=2025&link%5Fcode=xm2

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 13 Feb 2005
Posts: 2173
Location: Columbus, WI

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice. May have to get me one of these... Smile
_________________
-=iMav=-
http://geekhack.org
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 25 Jan 2005
Posts: 2765
Location: Virginia

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mini should of had an Audio-in port!
_________________
1.25GHz Mac Mini / 1.8GHz iMac G5 / 2.0GHz C2D Mac mini (2009)
4GB iPod mini / 2G iPod shuffle / 16GB iPhone 3G
Apple TV 2
iLife's a Bitch!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
casiop
Junior Member
Junior Member


Joined: 09 Feb 2005
Posts: 21

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 5:54 am    Post subject: Nice Reply with quote

Thatís a pretty good deal. The front style of it looks sharp too!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bubba
Member
Member


Joined: 01 Feb 2005
Posts: 227
Location: Raleigh, NC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now its back up to $40.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 25 Jan 2005
Posts: 2765
Location: Virginia

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You snooze you loose! Wink
_________________
1.25GHz Mac Mini / 1.8GHz iMac G5 / 2.0GHz C2D Mac mini (2009)
4GB iPod mini / 2G iPod shuffle / 16GB iPhone 3G
Apple TV 2
iLife's a Bitch!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 13 Feb 2005
Posts: 2173
Location: Columbus, WI

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang it!!!!!
_________________
-=iMav=-
http://geekhack.org
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bruintoo
New Member
New Member


Joined: 02 Feb 2005
Posts: 10
Location: Lost Angels, CA

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Audio In / Digital audio out Reply with quote

THIS DOES NOT WORK FOR MACS (9 OR X)! IT'S FALSE ADVERTISING. SAVE YOURSELF THE HASSLE AND DON'T ORDER. IF you don't believe read the Amazon ratings or read the Philips website.

Just go and grab M-Audio Transit USB instead. IT gives you a digital and analog out plus analog or digital in.
-Bruin

bubba wrote:
Supposedly these work natively in OS X and are a deal today at $30 and free shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000ULADG/bubbaorg-20/104-6280929-0043167?%5Fencoding=UTF8&camp=2025&link%5Fcode=xm2


_________________
VW & Mac
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
travism
Junior Member
Junior Member


Joined: 04 Mar 2005
Posts: 21

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Audio In / Digital audio out Reply with quote

bruintoo wrote:
THIS DOES NOT WORK FOR MACS (9 OR X)! IT'S FALSE ADVERTISING. SAVE YOURSELF THE HASSLE AND DON'T ORDER. IF you don't believe read the Amazon ratings or read the Philips website.


I agree it's a better choice and it's not that expensive at around 100 bucks.

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Transit-main.html
_________________
1.42ghz Mac mini

Mini powered since 2-22-05!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 13 Feb 2005
Posts: 2173
Location: Columbus, WI

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone know of a good ADAT (optical) input (either USB or firewire) for the mini???
_________________
-=iMav=-
http://geekhack.org
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bubba
Member
Member


Joined: 01 Feb 2005
Posts: 227
Location: Raleigh, NC

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Audio In / Digital audio out Reply with quote

travism wrote:
bruintoo wrote:
THIS DOES NOT WORK FOR MACS (9 OR X)! IT'S FALSE ADVERTISING. SAVE YOURSELF THE HASSLE AND DON'T ORDER. IF you don't believe read the Amazon ratings or read the Philips website.


I agree it's a better choice and it's not that expensive at around 100 bucks.

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Transit-main.html


$100 not expensive for audio in???

I don't care about optical out, all I care about is Input, which supposedly works.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bruintoo
New Member
New Member


Joined: 02 Feb 2005
Posts: 10
Location: Lost Angels, CA

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M-Audio's Sonica Transit has optical or analog audio in. You can get it for around $79 at Digitraxx. The Philips one doesn't even come with drivers for Mac OS X - how in the world will that work?
-Bruin
_________________
VW & Mac
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
aplowe
Junior Member
Junior Member


Joined: 21 Feb 2005
Posts: 41
Location: Edinburgh, UK

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

> The Philips one doesn't even come with drivers for Mac OS X -
> how in the world will that work?

The Apple usb audio/speakers that came with my Cube and the Edirol UA-1D I'm now using with it use OS X's generic/default usb audio driver.

I expect that some, if not most, usb audio devices will work without installing anything. It's doubtful that the generic driver would support advanced features such as 24-bit/96kHz audio and DTS/DD audio pass-through.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
numediaman
Junior Member
Junior Member


Joined: 03 Feb 2005
Posts: 40

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to let you know . . . the Philips WILL work on the mini, sort of . . .

I figured for the price I'd try out the Philips. I plugged it in and the mini instantly recognized it -- though it needs to be in a powered USB port -- either the mini itself, a hub, or in my case, my Cinema Display. No driver was needed for the mini to recognize it in Sound Prefs.

But . . . Garageband sees it but treats it like the iSight mic and grays it out. Final Vinyl doesn't see it because it is not an iMic. CD SpinDoctor gave me distorted audio -- its hard to tell whether this is the fault of the software or the hardware (I've had problems with this software since it was migrated over from my laptop and unfortunately I no longer have the original discs to do a clean install). Audiocorder also gave me distorted audio, though I don't understand that little program and never use it.

Audacity, another free audio program, was fine, however. It captured the audio and the sound seems distortion free and the quality "seems" better than the iMic.

I don't have any other advanced audio programs on the mini right now.

Verdict: ?? I probably would pass on this -- but its hard to decide. In the meantime, someone here mentioned Digitraxx so I looked up the site and called the guy. He's a one-man operation, which is a little scary -- but I decided to order the Audiophile USB product from him because it seems to be a major step up in quality over both the iMic or Transit USB. The other option was the Mobile Pre USB, of course.
_________________
Mini arrived 2-11-05. Apple customer since 1982.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
bruintoo
New Member
New Member


Joined: 02 Feb 2005
Posts: 10
Location: Lost Angels, CA

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my M-Audio Transit from Digitraxx. It was hassle-free transaction. Did the Philips works with system sounds, iTunes, or DVD Player?
-Bruin

numediaman wrote:
Just to let you know . . . the Philips WILL work on the mini, sort of . . .

I figured for the price I'd try out the Philips. I plugged it in and the mini instantly recognized it -- though it needs to be in a powered USB port -- either the mini itself, a hub, or in my case, my Cinema Display. No driver was needed for the mini to recognize it in Sound Prefs.

But . . . Garageband sees it but treats it like the iSight mic and grays it out. Final Vinyl doesn't see it because it is not an iMic. CD SpinDoctor gave me distorted audio -- its hard to tell whether this is the fault of the software or the hardware (I've had problems with this software since it was migrated over from my laptop and unfortunately I no longer have the original discs to do a clean install). Audiocorder also gave me distorted audio, though I don't understand that little program and never use it.

Audacity, another free audio program, was fine, however. It captured the audio and the sound seems distortion free and the quality "seems" better than the iMic.

I don't have any other advanced audio programs on the mini right now.

Verdict: ?? I probably would pass on this -- but its hard to decide. In the meantime, someone here mentioned Digitraxx so I looked up the site and called the guy. He's a one-man operation, which is a little scary -- but I decided to order the Audiophile USB product from him because it seems to be a major step up in quality over both the iMic or Transit USB. The other option was the Mobile Pre USB, of course.

_________________
VW & Mac
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum



      

Shop:  Apple Store  |  Refurbished Macs  |  Refurbished iPads  |  MacConnection  |  Mac Mini Vault  |  Other World Computing

MK 1 Studio Mac mini Racks  |  Crucial Mac Memory  |  Top Free Mac Apps  |  Top Paid Mac Apps



123Macmini.com is an independent publication and has not been authorized, sponsored, or approved by Apple Computer, Inc.
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owners.
Copyright © 2011 123Macmini.com. All Rights Reserved.