123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Roku Box vs. Apple TV for Streaming Video

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> More News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glenn
News Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 6:33 pm    Post subject: Roku Box vs. Apple TV for Streaming Video Reply with quote

Roku Box vs. Apple TV for Streaming Video
Approved by: Glenn
Category: Apple TV

Associated Content - "With the growing popularity of instantly streaming on-line movies and television shows, particularly from sites such as Netflix Instant Watch, there has been an increasing demand for larger monitors and ways to stream on-line videos directly to your television. However, the exiting new technologies that allow you to stream to your television, such as the Apple TV and the new Roku Box from Netflix, can be difficult to choose from."

Read more...

* We are in the process of changing the "More News" forum, so this topic might seem out of place.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope Blockbuster offers something like this soon for their subscribers. It sounds like a decent little device for $99.
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm considering one of those Roku/Netflix boxes once I see some more reviews on it. There's enough instant viewable content on Netflix to keep me happy, and it seems simple enough that it will have a high SWMBO acceptance factor.

Plus with no extra fees on top of my existing Netflix bill, and only $99, it's going to probably be an impulse buy.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ClunkClunk wrote:
There's enough instant viewable content on Netflix to keep me happy, and it seems simple enough that it will have a high SWMBO acceptance factor.

Are the available titles staying fairly current? I don't really follow the world of Netflix anymore. I switched to a Blockbuster plan a while back now.
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
Are the available titles staying fairly current? I don't really follow the world of Netflix anymore. I switched to a Blockbuster plan a while back now.

A majority of it is back catalog and TV shows. I don't really follow new releases, so I'm not sure how current it is. I do know that it's about 10,000 titles out of Netflix's 100,000 title catalog, so it certainly has a lot of room for improvement in quantity.
Zuma

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm grabbing one for $99 bucks. It's like a no-brainer for a Netflix subscriber. Plus, the reviews have been fairly positive for what it does.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ClunkClunk wrote:
I do know that it's about 10,000 titles out of Netflix's 100,000 title catalog, so it certainly has a lot of room for improvement in quantity.

I watched the video review on Cnet and they said a lot of the stuff was in 4:3. I'm sure it will come along, but that kind of sucks for now.
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
I watched the video review on Cnet and they said a lot of the stuff was in 4:3. I'm sure it will come along, but that kind of sucks for now.

That surprised me as well, since they used The Road Warrior as their example, and that disc (as it comes from Netflix) is in both 16:9 and 4:3 on the same disc, yet it seems that their streamed version is 4:3. I wonder if some monkey at the controls didn't pick the right version to encode for streaming.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They better get busy with HandBrake like the rest of us! Wink

Most of those were probably encoded when 4:3 was all the rage in computer displays. Especially seeing how the service started out for computer users. Then again, that might be the only format they're allowed to use for certain releases. Either way, I'll probably buy one down the road. I can only see this getting better.
iLife's a Bitch!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> More News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: