123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DisplayLink Releases Beta Driver For Mac OS X

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:26 pm    Post subject: DisplayLink Releases Beta Driver For Mac OS X Reply with quote

DisplayLink Releases Beta Driver For Mac OS X
Monday, March 31, 2008
Posted by: Brian

We mentioned back in January that DisplayLink planned on bringing their USB display technology over to the Mac. Well, it looks like they finally released their first beta driver for Mac OS X today.

According to the company, "DisplayLink USB devices are the easiest way to add an additional monitor to your Mac. This driver, with the relevant DisplayLink-powered hardware, will allow any Intel-based Mac - even a Mac Mini or MacBook Air - to connect up to 4 monitors over USB. This driver also supports the USB video of our customers' USB docking station products, giving you a cost-effective and easy way to connect your display and all of your peripherals to your MacBook, MacBook Pro, or MacBook Air, with only one USB 2.0 cable."

Read more...

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/922.html

Last edited by admin on Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was excited until I read about the limited video support. It's a shame. From what I've read, these devices work rather well with Windows. Sad
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this might be DOA unless they fix these limitations in the final release. The Matrox DualHead2Go looks like a much better solution at this point. For one, it supports higher resolutions. I could be wrong, but it looks like most of these Displaylink boxes max out at only 1280 x 1024.
iCrud

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still holding out hope for a Mini-DVI port on the next mini.
jdduncan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject: Tested with Toshiba Dynadock - IT WORKS! Reply with quote

I have been testing Toshiba Dynadocks on my Intel Mini and have been very happy with the results. The docks are working great! I have tested both the DVI and VGA versions of the Dynadock with both types of monitors and am getting good performance. There are some limitations, but I'm very happy to be using Multimon again after having it in the PC world. Youtube videos look great on the 2nd monitor. Make sure to check out the readme for the Mac OS driver at DisplayLink.

Here is a list of the devices in the Dynadock and what I have been able to test:

Video - DVI Model works with both DVI and VGA connections
VGA Model works only with VGA connection (Duh!)

6 Port USB Hub - all ports work

USB Sound - Headphone Jack - Speakers work
S/PDIF - I am unable to test
Mic Jack - Untested

USB Ethernet - Works in both 100mb and 10mb modes

Serial Port - Untested

I have a couple of extra Dynadocks for sale in the Classified here at 123macmini.com if anyone is interested.
http://www.123macmini.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18003
Leopard w/XP under Parallels
Toshiba DVI Dynadock
Apple thin keyboard and mouse
just1ncase

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool, will the Toshiba Dynadock will work with a MacBook Pro as well? If so, how would I attach (2) external displays onto my MacBook Pro? (the two of the external displays will attach to the VGA and DVI?

Also, on the box, it clearly says its only capable with Windows XP and Vista–so the new driver opens up the possibilities for multi-displays for mac users?

Please let me know. I am interested. I've had my eyes on the Kensington SD200v USB dock, too, how would that compare with this USB dock?
jdduncan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:18 pm    Post subject: Dynadock and MacBook Pro Reply with quote

Using the drivers from DisplayLink, the Dynadock should work on your MacBook Pro, as long as it's an Intel based model. Here is a quote from DisplayLink:

===========================================
The DisplayLink software can be installed on any Intel-based desktop
or laptop Apple Mac computer running client versions of Mac OS X Tiger
10.4.11 or Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.2.
===========================================

You should be able to connect a monitor to the diplay connector on your MacBook Pro, and a 2nd monitor on the Dynadock and use both monitors in Multimonitor mode. I do not have a MacBook Pro to test on.

The Kensington SD200v USB dock is very similar to the Dynadock. The biggest difference between the two is that the Dynadock has a version that supports DVI monitors, where the SD200v only has VGA. The Dynadock also has a serial port and digital sound, where the SD200v does not.
Toshiba DVI Dynadock
just1ncase

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I'll give it a try.
DoLoop

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdduncan,

Have you been able to achieve DVD playback on the Dynadock display with no problems? The tech notes on Toshiba's site say it is choppy on the DD display. Has this been your experience?

I'd like to have a dual monitor setup for a Mini HTPC and use a small flat panel for general stuff, but view DVD movies on a projector. This would be the perfect solution if video over USB is fast enough.

Thanks!
jdduncan

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 12:17 pm    Post subject: Dynadock DVD limitations Reply with quote

The Mac OSX driver from DisplayLink will not allow the DVD player to run off of the Dynadock. If you drag the player window over to the display, it moves it back to the primary display.

JD
Toshiba DVI Dynadock
DoLoop

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it.

Thanks for the info. Still looks pretty interesting, but it won't solve my problem. I had hopes there. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: