123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Playstation on a Mac????

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Gaming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tvanbruggen

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:22 am    Post subject: Playstation on a Mac???? Reply with quote

I have both a Mac min, and an iMac G5. We now use our macs for all our entertainment - downloading TV shows, movies, etc. from iTunes and Amazon. I recently received a Playstation 3 as a gift . . . is there any way to attach the Playstation to my Mac, to allow me to play games using my Mac's screen for the game system, or will I have to purchase a television?
MrBabou

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean, there is no way for you to hook up the PS3 on your TV using a free Video input? I guess that's why you're asking... To my knowledge, the only way is through some sort of capture device, like the Elgato EyeTV250 Plus for example. This one actually has a 'video game mode', but I don't know how it works.

Personnally, I would simply consider buying an input switch. Would end up costing much less than a device such as the EyeTV...
tvanbruggen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No . . . I actually don't have a TV, but I do have the iMac and a Playstation 3, so I'm looking for a way to connect the Playstation to the iMac. I was wondering if the Elgato device would work. Can anyone confirm?
Mrmorrill

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the hybrid and it comes with a little connector for the audio and video cables. I play xbox on mine through it.
Lacie 250gb 7200rpm external harddrive
Hauppauge Tv tuner.

New Addition!
Ibook G4 1.42ghz 10.4.11
JediTimmy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tvanbruggen wrote:
No . . . I actually don't have a TV, but I do have the iMac and a Playstation 3, so I'm looking for a way to connect the Playstation to the iMac. I was wondering if the Elgato device would work. Can anyone confirm?

Well I'm not sure if you can hook up your PS3 to an iMac but I have my PS3 hooked up to the same monitor as my Mac Mini with a HDMI - DVI adaptor which works great.

PS3 60GB owner.

98% of the internet population has a Myspace. If you're part of the 2% that can resist stupid fads, copy and paste this into your sig.
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't know what to say here but you will need a tv tuner card but the most interesting problem is is the computer fast enough to keep up with the tv tuner card.

Far from that i see no issues why it shouldn't work.
Mrmorrill

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run my Ps2 right through my Tuner card. Runs perfect, its nice cause i can run aim and everything with out having to worry about clicking back and forth.
Lacie 250gb 7200rpm external harddrive
Hauppauge Tv tuner.

New Addition!
Ibook G4 1.42ghz 10.4.11
MrBabou

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

macmanmacman wrote:
I wouldn't know what to say here but you will need a tv tuner card but the most interesting problem is is the computer fast enough to keep up with the tv tuner card.

Far from that i see no issues why it shouldn't work.

I would presume he would not be able to have a full HD resolution, unless the tuner card/stick actually has a powerful enough integrated chip to process it...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Gaming All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: