123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

iTunes Not So Good?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Member Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are There Better Alternatives To iTunes?
Yes
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
No
46%
 46%  [ 7 ]
Maybe
46%
 46%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 15

NadiaGeek

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 3:34 am    Post subject: iTunes Not So Good? Reply with quote

I read an article on CNET that claims iTunes, at least in the Windows environment, is being eaten by a new comer, MediaMonkey. I use iTunes on both my PC and Mac, and I've not had any trouble with it.

Article Text

Quote:
At least on the PC, iTunes' performance has been less than stellar. Sure, it set the standard for jukeboxes early on, but most of that was probably tied to its then-exclusive ability to sync with the ubiquitous iPod. Now that device syncing, and especially iPod syncing, is a must-have feature, iTunes' other flaws are standing out like a mohawk in Mecca.

MediaMonkey provides a slick look, deep customization, and excellent playback.

Swinging in to the rescue on one heck of a lengthy vine is MediaMonkey 3. The latest free version of this Windows stalwart, which has been beating its chest since the beginning of the decade, showcases some great new features married to all the solid basics that you expect from your daily-use jukebox. The end result makes it a wonder that more people aren't using the Monkey for their boogie sessions.

iTunes is notorious for being a memory hog, for being a poor podcatcher, for having weak tag support, and for being stodgily uncustomizable. On all four counts, MediaMonkey takes big bites out of Apple.

As a WinAmp user, the feature that most impressed me was the tag support. WinAmp's tag support is overly complicated where MediaMonkey makes it a dead-simple procedure to accurately tag. Once you've selected your track or album, hit CTRL-L and the Monkey searches Amazon.com for album art, track names, and basically every field you could want attached to a song. Check boxes help you easily eliminate songs and discrete attributes from being changed, so it's quite easy to grab just the artwork, for example, without changing your tag for the track titles.

Tagging and downloading album art are easier than strumming an A chord in MediaMonkey.

MediaMonkey's interface is modular and customizable. Users can move around, show or hide, and skin pretty much every aspect of what you look at when you're looking at it. Drag the playback controls around, so that they live above or below any other module, in any of the three columns that make up the UI or across all of them. Hide the Now Playing playlist as you need it, maximize it to your heart's content. Shrink down the album art panel, blow it up to absorb your attention, or hide it completely.

Longtime Windows users especially will appreciate the tree-based navigation, but don't worry about getting lost in your own intricate jungle of folders. Right above it lives a row of quick buttons to help you navigate your way around. Conveniently, they're all linked to hotkeys, and because this is MediaMonkey and not iTunes, you can remap those keys however you like and change the display so you only see the ones you need. These nodes collapse the tree and highlight the Now Playing folder, which great for searching, playing, searching for something else but jumping back to what you are still listening to. Other nodes include one for your Podcasts, and one for Shoutcast and Icecast Internet radio. You can also use the node to focus on Artist, Album, Genre, or any other criteria you've set up.

It should be noted that WinAmp's high level of customization for creating playlists is free, while the more advanced choices, such as beats-per-minute, remain reserved for MediaMonkey Gold, but for the features I use the most, the Monkey was a far better match. The Monkey also supports WinAmp plugins, playlists, and even uses the same audio engine.

MediaMonkey lets you customize how your MP3 player syncs.

MediaMonkey also supports extracting audio files from your portable devices, great for, backing up your player to a secondary hard drive or transferring your collection onto a new computer. Other features that the Monkey has include multiple device support, so you can sync your MP3 player and your MP3-playing cell phone separately, an extensible visualizer, an Auto-DJ function that works like a "smart" shuffle playlist, and, cliched as it may sound, more. Plug-ins give the Monkey the superpowers, like the ability to videos. DSP audio plugins also boost the not-insignificant built-in audio equalizers, bolstering the Replay Gain and MP3 Gain tech that comes included. Support for scripts and an online database of user-written scripts truly make MediaMonkey extensible enough to satiate even the hungriest of music gorillas.

On Macs, iTunes is still the standard, but MediaMonkey 3's intuitive layout, deep level of customization, device support, and all-out attention to sound quality make it the one you should be going ape over.

http://www.download.com/8301-2007_4-9933993-12.html?tag=slide_3[/b]

iMac G3

1GB iPod Shuffle

2GB iPod Nano

Too Many PCs to Name

ghostdawg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's not made for linux then it's low on my list, and yep, itunes is low on my list.
NadiaGeek

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ghostdawg wrote:
If it's not made for linux then it's low on my list, and yep, itunes is low on my list.

What version of Linux do you run? On my PC, I run Ubuntu, the newest version of it. 10.4 or something.

iMac G3

1GB iPod Shuffle

2GB iPod Nano

Too Many PCs to Name

aquaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One could argue that Amazon is better, but I still prefer iTunes. The interface and iPod integration is a hard combination to beat. The latter may also be its downfall going forward. I mean from the standpoint of being a "closed" system. It sure would be nice if you could plug non-Apple players into iTunes.
NadiaGeek

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aquaman wrote:
One could argue that Amazon is better, but I still prefer iTunes. The interface and iPod integration is a hard combination to beat. The latter may also be its downfall going forward. I mean from the standpoint of being a "closed" system. It sure would be nice if you could plug non-Apple players into iTunes.

Yeah, definitely. iTunes is the number 2 music retailer, just behind Wal-Mart. I think if Apple wants to keep it that way, or perhaps become the number 1, they better start making it so people who committed the awful crime of buying a non-iPod MP3 player can use iTunes like the iPod users can.

iMac G3

1GB iPod Shuffle

2GB iPod Nano

Too Many PCs to Name

dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ghostdawg wrote:

Pretty much anything that isn't open source has to be pretty good to be high on my list except for games. I do however prefer iPods since they force me to not use Windows Media Player, but they don't play .ogg files that I have music file in. Since I rarely use much else since iTunes does all I need I don't know of any really good alternatives, but VLC does come to mind since I've used it for some stuff (and it plays my .ogg, and .m3u files).

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Member Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: