123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Preferential order of networks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sipper

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 8:23 am    Post subject: Preferential order of networks Reply with quote

Hi Guys

I have a small home network all connecting using an AEBS and ethernet cables. There is also a cable modem connected to the WAN port of the AE using an ethernet cable. This all works perfectly, however :-

In my bedroom I have an ADSL line connected to a buffalo router to which is also connected a cable TV digibox. If I want to connect to the digibox I am able to open Airport on my mini and connect wirelessly to the buffalo router no problem, and from there to the digibox.

The problem is that when I use airport my mini takes the adsl line as the preferred internet connection which unfortunately is a lot slower than my cable setup. The easy solution would be to disconnect the adsl line but thats what I let visitors log into instead of sharing my apple network.

My question is therefor - is it possible to have the ethernet connected internet connection as the preferred network and the wireless network as the fall-over or backup network?

many thanks

Sipper
Lacie 320Gb for Time Machine
AppleTV with aTVFlash
17" iMac C2D ( for 'er indoors)

MacScout67

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can change the order in your Network Preferences. You simply need to drag Ethernet to the top of the list. Then put AirPort in the number two slot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: