123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

More mac love from New Athens

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Mac Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 3:56 pm    Post subject: More mac love from New Athens Reply with quote

Well I was in the library yesterday and what should I hear, two seniors are getting MacBooks for college, but darn I forgot to give them the address to this site of Mac knowledge.

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a feeling that a lot of high school graduates will be getting MacBooks for college. Not only do they want one for OS X, but it's also become a status type symbol. Who wants to be seen with a Gateway, IBM, Dell, or HP these days. Laughing
Bobaloo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My kid's getting one, in fact I already have it. She won't get it until graduation, though. A 17" MacBook, just what she wanted. Devo, I took your advice, I went to MacMall, no tax, $150 rebate and free shipping after rebate. Saved on getting it from edu store. That's why I purchased it early, the rebate. My wife got hers from Amazon, same deal.

Of course, if the state gets its way and forces ecommerce sites to charge tax, we'll have to shop around even more.
AppleTVII
16GB iPod Touch 32Gb iPhone
32GB Wi-Fi iPad
Weee
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen more MacBooks around campus this year than anything else. Next would be the MacBook Pro and IBM ThinkPads. I'm not sure what model though. They all pretty much look the same to me. I've also seen some of those 13-inch Dell XPS M1330s around. It's actually a nice looking laptop.
NadiaGeek

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
I have a feeling that a lot of high school graduates will be getting MacBooks for college. Not only do they want one for OS X, but it's also become a status type symbol. Who wants to be seen with a Gateway, IBM, Dell, or HP these days. Laughing

People who can't afford an Apple? As long as it gets the job done, who cares what it is. I mean, for basic school work, a PC is more than sufficient. Although, I will admit, even doing basic tasks on a Mac is more fun!

iMac G3

1GB iPod Shuffle

2GB iPod Nano

Too Many PCs to Name

NadiaGeek

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weee wrote:
I've seen more MacBooks around campus this year than anything else. Next would be the MacBook Pro and IBM ThinkPads. I'm not sure what model though. They all pretty much look the same to me. I've also seen some of those 13-inch Dell XPS M1330s around. It's actually a nice looking laptop.

I wouldn't buy anything from Dell. I build all my PCs myself, unless I am buying a laptop, then I usually check out Compaq or HP if I'm trying to get one on the cheap. If I need a high end PC laptop, I usually go with Falcon Northwest. Used to go with Alienware, 'til they were bought out by Dell.

iMac G3

1GB iPod Shuffle

2GB iPod Nano

Too Many PCs to Name

devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobaloo wrote:
Devo, I took your advice, I went to MacMall, no tax, $150 rebate and free shipping after rebate. Saved on getting it from edu store. That's why I purchased it early, the rebate. My wife got hers from Amazon, same deal.

Awesome! I'm glad you were able to save some money.

Bobaloo wrote:
Of course, if the state gets its way and forces ecommerce sites to charge tax, we'll have to shop around even more.

Spitzer was all over that. His departure might help us a little on that front.

NadiaGeek wrote:
People who can't afford an Apple? As long as it gets the job done, who cares what it is. I mean, for basic school work, a PC is more than sufficient. Although, I will admit, even doing basic tasks on a Mac is more fun!

That may have come out wrong on my part. I'm not one of those stuck up Mac users.

Hey, my wife bought a Dell Inspiron 1400 not that long ago. Why? It priced out for less with comparable specs and included a matte screen. I wouldn't want one, but she seems happy with it.
NadiaGeek

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That may have come out wrong on my part. I'm not one of those stuck up Mac users.

LOL. I'm not stuck up either, but now since I have a Mac, I get this evil look in my eyes and start giggling anytime a friend explains their Windows woes to me. I can't help but saying, "Well, I don't - hehe - have that problem. "

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Laughing Laughing

iMac G3

1GB iPod Shuffle

2GB iPod Nano

Too Many PCs to Name

JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NadiaGeek wrote:
LOL. I'm not stuck up either, but now since I have a Mac, I get this evil look in my eyes and start giggling anytime a friend explains their Windows woes to me. I can't help but saying, "Well, I don't - hehe - have that problem. "

The best part NadiaGeek, is when you've had a Mac for so long that you really can't remember how to fix all of those Windows glitches! Once you've explained that a few times, the desperate calls from friends asking for tech support begin to dry up.... Wink Smile
NadiaGeek

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyBoy wrote:
NadiaGeek wrote:

The best part NadiaGeek, is when you've had a Mac for so long that you really can't remember how to fix all of those Windows glitches! Once you've explained that a few times, the desperate calls from friends asking for tech support begin to dry up.... Wink Smile

LOL... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

iMac G3

1GB iPod Shuffle

2GB iPod Nano

Too Many PCs to Name

dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NadiaGeek wrote:
Weee wrote:

I wouldn't buy anything from Dell. I build all my PCs myself, unless I am buying a laptop, then I usually check out Compaq or HP if I'm trying to get one on the cheap. If I need a high end PC laptop, I usually go with Falcon Northwest. Used to go with Alienware, 'til they were bought out by Dell.

The only thing I've like from Dell ever has been their bamboo PC, get that in natural bamboo and it wouldn't look that bad, except for the fact that it has a DELL logo on it.

Going to Missouri S&T!!
NadiaGeek

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dungeon92 wrote:
NadiaGeek wrote:
Weee wrote:

The only thing I've like from Dell ever has been their bamboo PC, get that in natural bamboo and it wouldn't look that bad, except for the fact that it has a DELL logo on it.

LOL.

iMac G3

1GB iPod Shuffle

2GB iPod Nano

Too Many PCs to Name

Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyBoy wrote:

I'm finding that one of the best parts of owning a Mac.

I've never been very good at saying NO to anyone, even when I'm busy with other things I always end up helping out. Over the years a lot of people have taken it for granted that I'm a free tech support system. Having a Mac and them having Vista is awesome. I can now just say I've no idea I've never used Vista Razz

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cypher wrote:
JohnnyBoy wrote:

I'm finding that one of the best parts of owning a Mac.

I've never been very good at saying NO to anyone, even when I'm busy with other things I always end up helping out. Over the years a lot of people have taken it for granted that I'm a free tech support system. Having a Mac and them having Vista is awesome. I can now just say I've no idea I've never used Vista Razz

Considering Microsoft has said when the next Windows OS (currently name Windows 7) has pretty much sealed the fate of Vista, a sore that's lasting another 2 years unless Windows 7 gets delayed as well.

Going to Missouri S&T!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Mac Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: