123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

VMware Fusion 2.0 Beta

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 10:43 pm    Post subject: VMware Fusion 2.0 Beta Reply with quote

VMware Fusion 2.0 Beta
Monday, May 5, 2008
Posted by: Brian

VMware has announced the availability of the VMWare Fusion 2.0 Beta, a new version of their popular virtualization software for Intel-based Macs. The free beta brings support for multiple displays, improved networking and printing, tools for even easier switching to VMware Fusion, experimental support for DirectX 9.0 Shader Model 2 3D acceleration, and more. VMWare also announced that VMware Fusion 2.0, when released, will be a free downloadable upgrade for all VMware Fusion 1.x customers.

Read more...

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/946.html

Last edited by admin on Tue May 06, 2008 1:46 am; edited 1 time in total
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's nice to hear that Fusion 2.0 will be a free upgrade. That being said, I'm skipping on the beta. Things are just working to well for me with 1.1.2. Why mess with a good thing?
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Along with the bugs listed for this beta on the VMware site are straightforward instructions on getting VMware Tools installed properly on the latest version of Ubuntu (Hardy Heron). I tried them and they worked. The comments show that it has worked for a lot of people. Meanwhile, this new version of Fusion adds a lot of useful features. I'm looking forward to it when it's out of beta and I might try the beta on my iMac running Parallels.

Last edited by Fox on Tue May 06, 2008 11:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also glad to see that 2.0 will be a free upgrade for 1.x users.
2nd gen. iPod shuffle (1 GiB)
WheelSpinners
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might be a stupid question, but can you run version 1.1.2 and the beta on the same machine?

Last edited by WheelSpinners on Wed May 07, 2008 12:47 am; edited 1 time in total
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be happy.

But!!!!!!

Did they fix the issues with linux everytime i tried to run linux in vmware fusion especially ubuntu it kept do the ubuntu had graphic card errors boot message and restarted again and again and again no matter what.

And worse they said that it supports linux and yet i cannot even get any linux distro to function.

Did they fix it
Chris..S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There shouldn't be any problems with Linux VMs. I have several running Linux VMs at present - RHEL5, Centos 3, Centos 5, Gentoo - plus Ubuntu and Debian in the past. Some of these would have been set up during the original beta and have been running ever since.

I have never done anything special to setup a Linux VM. Download a live CD, create a VM, hook up the live CD image to the VM's cd rom drive, boot and follow the distros install instructions.
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VMware Tools can be installed the regular way in Ubuntu 8.04, but not all of the tools worked when I did it. I could resize the display, move in and out of the window and move files on the virtual machine directly onto my Mac desktop, but I couldn't move files the other way from Mac to virtual machine. However, in the notes for the new beta, there was posted a link for a fix, in which you just enter a set of commands from a Terminal and it would install a recompiled version of VMware Tools. Here is a link to those instructions. I tried it last night and got full tools functionality with one minor exception - the scroll wheel on my mouse no longer worked. [I was able to restore this with a simple instruction from another helpful post.] So the bottom line is, with a bit of tinkering (essentially following a cookbook), the newest version of Ubuntu is fully functional on VMware Fusion. And these instructions appear to be generic; in other words they are likely to work on any distro.

The same cannot be said of Parallels Desktop. They have not issued a fix for their tools, nor to my knowledge, the source code that would allow them to be recompiled. They also have not issued a date by which they will have a solution. In the case of VMware, the fact that they listed the problem with Ubuntu 8.04 as a bug strongly suggests that their Tools will work out of the box when version 2 is finalized.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: