123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Asus Eee PC
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> SFF Computer and Netbook Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the Wikipedia article on the Eee PC, the '900' model was released in the UK on 1st May and will be released in the US on 12th May.

The 900's a bit bigger than the 700, has a 1024x600 display, a 900MHz CPU (up from 630MHz) and a 'gesture' trackpad (like the MBA).
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyBoy wrote:
According to the Wikipedia article on the Eee PC, the '900' model was released in the UK on 1st May and will be released in the US on 12th May.

The 900's a bit bigger than the 700, has a 1024x600 display, a 900MHz CPU (up from 630MHz) and a 'gesture' trackpad (like the MBA).

Also, they will drop the older Intel CPU's in favor of the Intel Atoms next quarter according to ASUS. Also since they split the SSD's up it explains how they got 12GB and 20GB SSD. Once they do and if they do drop the price like ASUS announced they would I would pick one up and install Ubuntu on it and maybe add an 8GB or 16GB SDHC card.

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dungeon, I think that there's some really exciting announcements there. I'm really tempted to get hold of one of these UMPCs, because at 5 pounds (2.2 kg), my MacBook is more of a mobile desktop than a machine that comfortably sits on your lap.

I've yet to see an Eee PC 'in person' - I've only seen the photos/videos on the web - but I went into Comet (UK electrical retailer) the other day and saw a sub-notebook from Acer with a 12" display, and I was impressed with its size.

Applications are the problem. I wonder if Basilisk can be made to run on one of these little machines?
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's one at Computer Room, a local computer shoppe, they keyboard is a lot smaller than you might think, but I wouldn't be using the word processor on the machine all that much and mostly just watch videos, listen to music, and browse the web. Once they get atoms CPU's in them and if one could upgrade to 2GB RAM it would be an great Linux mobile for taking to SILUG meetings.

Going to Missouri S&T!!
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dungeon, I picked up a copy of a UK computer mag called "Micro Mart" and the main feature was an overview of the current and upcoming cheap sub-notebooks. Here's the round-up....

Asus Eee PCs (we know about those)
HP 2133
Elonex One - British sub-notebook for £99!
Everex Cloudbook
OLPC XO-1 - The least said, the better...
Elite Computer Systems G10IL
Norhtec Gecko

So take your pick, Dungeon! Very Happy
Zuma

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Wind PC from MSI is one of the better looking mini notbooks out there. I can't seem to find the product page, but it's going to include an Atom processor and a 2.5" HDD when it starts shipping.
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zuma wrote:
I think the Wind PC from MSI is one of the better looking mini notbooks out there. I can't seem to find the product page, but it's going to include an Atom processor and a 2.5" HDD when it starts shipping.

But the Wind PC will have a somewhat higher price tag than I would want to spend.

JohnnyBoy wrote:

Asus Eee PCs (we know about those)
HP 2133
Elonex One - British sub-notebook for £99!
Everex Cloudbook
OLPC XO-1 - The least said, the better...
Elite Computer Systems G10IL
Norhtec Gecko

I like the EEE PC most, the HP's have landed and cost a pretty penny plus they use VIA, CloudBook I don't like the design and track pad plus it has VIA as well, G10IL seems to be same boat as HP but with Atom CPU, and haven't seen the Gecko yet.
The EEE PC seems to be one of the few with SSD though and I would like to have that. My requirements stand though, SSD, no Windows license fee, Intel Atom CPU, and decent size keyboard (one spot the EEE loses points for with me).

Going to Missouri S&T!!
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the black Eee PC 900 coming to the US on the 12th dungeon? I would like to have one for my workshop.
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Devo, this page has a load of info that I think you'll be interested in...

Surprisingly, the Linux version has the same price tag as the Windows version. So either Microsoft are giving Windows away Wink, or Asus are charging customers for a free OS to appease the Redmond monster. Evil or Very Mad I wonder who will be the first Linux evangelist to buy the Windows machine and then try to get a refund on the unwanted Windows licence... Twisted Evil
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyBoy wrote:

Surprisingly, the Linux version has the same price tag as the Windows version. So either Microsoft are giving Windows away Wink, or Asus are charging customers for a free OS to appease the Redmond monster. Evil or Very Mad I wonder who will be the first Linux evangelist to buy the Windows machine and then try to get a refund on the unwanted Windows licence... Twisted Evil

Actually the Linux version has a bigger SSD than the Windows version, Windows has 8GB the Linux has either 12 or 20GB was what ASUS said in a press conference, but according to your link the Windows will have a 12GB and the Linux will have a 20GB. Once they get Atoms in them and maybe a price drop I would love to pick one up, but since I don't have a huge use for one right now I can wait.

Going to Missouri S&T!!
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyBoy wrote:

Thanks for the link!

I might be misssing something, but I don't see much information on the black model. I assume that it will be shipping at the same time???

I just don't want the white model because it's going to be used in a dirty environment. Maybe I'll stop into J&R next week...

dungeon92 wrote:
Actually the Linux version has a bigger SSD than the Windows version, Windows has 8GB the Linux has either 12 or 20GB was what ASUS said in a press conference, but according to your link the Windows will have a 12GB and the Linux will have a 20GB

I'll probably go with the Linux version and throw XP on it. I'm not really worried about the lack of Atom.
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally spotted someone with an Eeeeeeeeeee PC at school earlier this week. It was a black 700 series running Linux.

Unfortunately I was in a rush, so I didn't get a chance to ask her what specific model she had, and if she liked it.
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dungeon92 wrote:
Actually the Linux version has a bigger SSD than the Windows version, Windows has 8GB the Linux has either 12 or 20GB was what ASUS said in a press conference, but according to your link the Windows will have a 12GB and the Linux will have a 20GB.

Ah, thank you Dungeon - in my haste to post the link, I didn't check the details.... Embarassed
NadiaGeek

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dungeon92 wrote:
There's one at Computer Room, a local computer shoppe, they keyboard is a lot smaller than you might think, but I wouldn't be using the word processor on the machine all that much and mostly just watch videos, listen to music, and browse the web. Once they get atoms CPU's in them and if one could upgrade to 2GB RAM it would be an great Linux mobile for taking to SILUG meetings.

Not a well-designed site, but at least they don't charge you for a diagnostic test. LOL. Which is more than I can say for the computer shops around here. Geek Squad is the most ridiculous. $250 or so, but then if they have to do any repairs, that price jumps to as much as $349 plus parts. A few people I know came to me and I did it for half that. LOL. I can't believe they charge that much. Hell, you can get a new computer off Newegg or TigerDirect for that price, although they are usually eMachines.

iMac G3

1GB iPod Shuffle

2GB iPod Nano

Too Many PCs to Name

dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NadiaGeek wrote:

Not a well-designed site, but at least they don't charge you for a diagnostic test. LOL. Which is more than I can say for the computer shops around here. Geek Squad is the most ridiculous. $250 or so, but then if they have to do any repairs, that price jumps to as much as $349 plus parts. A few people I know came to me and I did it for half that. LOL. I can't believe they charge that much. Hell, you can get a new computer off Newegg or TigerDirect for that price, although they are usually eMachines.

They don't have their catalog set up for online yet, but they waited until they moved to Shiloh and now they are waiting for their new POS system.
Devo wrote:
I'll probably go with the Linux version and throw XP on it. I'm not really worried about the lack of Atom.

I wouldn't want to run XP on a 900MHz CPU with what I'll be using, come to think of it XP will never touch any EEE PC I get.

Going to Missouri S&T!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> SFF Computer and Netbook Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 3 of 11

Jump to: