123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Interesting Read/Listen
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Mac Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NadiaGeek

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject: Interesting Read/Listen Reply with quote

Entitled: "Those Mac Users Think They're So Cool."

A new marketing study has found Mac owners tend to think they're more extraordinary than the average Joe. They're also more likely than PC users to whiten their teeth, drive hybrids, drink Starbucks coffee and eat organic food. Andrea Gardner reports.

http://marketplace.publicradio.org/display/web/2008/04/23/mac_users/
Bobaloo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about that, I'm a long time Mac user. Are we vegetarians, too? My daughter is, but I don't think that is a Mac thing. She likes Starbucks but as a black coffee drinker, I'd just as soon get a cup at 7-11. Can we get pigeon holed?
AppleTVII
16GB iPod Touch 32Gb iPhone
32GB Wi-Fi iPad
NadiaGeek

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobaloo wrote:
I don't know about that, I'm a long time Mac user. Are we vegetarians, too? My daughter is, but I don't think that is a Mac thing. She likes Starbucks but as a black coffee drinker, I'd just as soon get a cup at 7-11. Can we get pigeon holed?

Well, the article worried me a bit at first, 'cause I do drink Starbucks Coffee, Italian Roast, to be exact. I drive a Hybrid car, and eat organic food on occasion. I drink Starbucks coffee because I like the Italian Roast, but from time to time, I'll go out and buy a can of Maxwell House or Folgers. My hybrid I drive cause it was inexpensive and I wanted to save money on gas. And like I said, I eat organic food once in a blue moon, basically when it's on sale. I'm not rich, and I use a Mac not because I just feel like showing off how much money I have (which ain't much), I use a Mac because they are just, uh, better than PCs. I used PCs for years, and they don't even begin to compare to the Mac experience. The only way I can tolerate a PC now days is if I have Ubuntu on there, which I have on my laptop. I just thought the article was funny; albeit, a bit ridiculous.
Bobaloo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NadiaGeek wrote:
Bobaloo wrote:

Well, the article worried me a bit at first, 'cause I do drink Starbucks Coffee, Italian Roast, to be exact. I drive a Hybrid car, and eat organic food on occasion. I drink Starbucks coffee because I like the Italian Roast, but from time to time, I'll go out and buy a can of Maxwell House or Folgers. My hybrid I drive cause it was inexpensive and I wanted to save money on gas. And like I said, I eat organic food once in a blue moon, basically when it's on sale. I'm not rich, and I use a Mac not because I just feel like showing off how much money I have (which ain't much), I use a Mac because they are just, uh, better than PCs. I used PCs for years, and they don't even begin to compare to the Mac experience. The only way I can tolerate a PC now days is if I have Ubuntu on there, which I have on my laptop. I just thought the article was funny; albeit, a bit ridiculous.

I agree that the article is amusing, Nadiageek. Having been a long time Mac user, I laugh at things like that, probably the same reaction I get when I order a black coffee at Starbucks. Yes, mac users are known to be more artistic than their PC counterparts, but if you also toss in that Dubya and Rush Limbaugh are both Mac users, it kind of tosses that article into the pan. Just to show that Macs do cross party lines, Bill Clinton is a Mac user as well, not to mention Al Gore.
AppleTVII
32GB Wi-Fi iPad
NadiaGeek

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobaloo wrote:
NadiaGeek wrote:
Bobaloo wrote:

I agree that the article is amusing, Nadiageek. Having been a long time Mac user, I laugh at things like that, probably the same reaction I get when I order a black coffee at Starbucks. Yes, mac users are known to be more artistic than their PC counterparts, but if you also toss in that Dubya and Rush Limbaugh are both Mac users, it kind of tosses that article into the pan. Just to show that Macs do cross party lines, Bill Clinton is a Mac user as well, not to mention Al Gore.

I knew that Rush Limbaugh was a Mac user, because when I listen to him (like to know what the enemy is doing), I remember a few times he was having problems with his Mac and telling his audience about it, asking Steve Jobs, if he was listening, to please fix it. LOL. I didn't know Bush, Clinton, or Gore were Mac users though. I knew Bush had an iPod, but that's not specific to the Macintosh computer, although I heard that it used to be.

Interesting.
Bobaloo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're on the same side, it seems, Nadiageek. Seeing that Al Gore is on Apple's board of directors, yes he is a Mac user. I used to tune in to see what was going on on the other side, however it made me want to hit my radio sometimes. As a long time Mac user, welcome to the world of Macs.
AppleTVII
32GB Wi-Fi iPad
NadiaGeek

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobaloo wrote:
We're on the same side, it seems, Nadiageek. Seeing that Al Gore is on Apple's board of directors, yes he is a Mac user. I used to tune in to see what was going on on the other side, however it made me want to hit my radio sometimes. As a long time Mac user, welcome to the world of Macs.

What was your first Mac?

I like Al Gore, but didn't know he was on Apple's Board. Learn something new everyday.
zedtvl

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Marketplace, a great and informative show.
This was a funny segment if you take it "au second degr├ęs" (excuse my french).............
ghostdawg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I always thought Mac users were Apple Fanatics... Razz
Bobaloo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NadiaGeek wrote:
Bobaloo wrote:

What was your first Mac?

I like Al Gore, but didn't know he was on Apple's Board. Learn something new everyday.

My first Mac was an SE which I still have and it still works. There have been quite a few since then.
AppleTVII
32GB Wi-Fi iPad
microfox

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the article is bull***t.

I have switched to Mac 28 months ago simply because I had had enough of 15 years of Ouinedows and 6 months of Linux. I discovered Tiger and fell in love with the OS. Then, it was Leopard.

I can't even stand the smell of coffee (or tea). I have spent a lifetime of eating junk food (not really proud of it) and in my older years, I am trying to eat a little better but then again I have never eaten organic food, to my knowledge.

I don't feel I have ever been condescending.

And by the way, while between the OS and me it was an instant love affair, I don't like Macs. None of their suits my needs. But, I don't see myself going back to the dark world.

2.0GHz Core2Duo Mac mini, 2 Gb RAM,120Gb HD + 1Tb LaCie external HD, Hauppauge PVR 950 USB TV Tuner stick, running 10.8.2

iPad 3rd generation, 32Gb

IPod Touch 4th generation 32Gb
NadiaGeek

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobaloo wrote:
NadiaGeek wrote:
Bobaloo wrote:

What was your first Mac?

My first Mac was an SE which I still have and it still works. There have been quite a few since then.

Yeah. LOL. I was, uh, two years old when that came out. '87, I just read. I think I'll probably buy an old Mac off eBay just to play around with it, because I have tons of old IBMs (I sorta collect 'em), but all the Apple's I have are relatively recent. Just the iMac and the Mini.
Bobaloo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Macs are fun to play around with. I can't do much with mine anymore as I don't have any of the disks, many purges over the years. As for the games that were installed, I don't have the manuals anymore and the manuals contained keys to start up the game, a little old school copy protection.
You might look into something along the lines of a G4 or something, they can still be used for things. I have a Sawtooth G4, which came out in 1999, it was originally a 400mhz G4 processor which I replaced with a 1.2GHZ. It's a great machine, may retire it later this year, though. Good luck with your search, consider it sort of a history lesson.
AppleTVII
32GB Wi-Fi iPad
NadiaGeek

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

microfox wrote:
I think the article is bull***t.

I have switched to Mac 28 months ago simply because I had had enough of 15 years of Ouinedows and 6 months of Linux. I discovered Tiger and fell in love with the OS. Then, it was Leopard.

I can't even stand the smell of coffee (or tea). I have spent a lifetime of eating junk food (not really proud of it) and in my older years, I am trying to eat a little better but then again I have never eaten organic food, to my knowledge.

I don't feel I have ever been condescending.

And by the way, while between the OS and me it was an instant love affair, I don't like Macs. None of their suits my needs. But, I don't see myself going back to the dark world.

I switched to Macs because when I was going to school for my degree in Web Design, that's all the school used. And then my finance, who was already a Mac users, wanted a new one -- badly. So I figured I would buy one and see if I liked it for personal use, i.e. file archiving, security, web browsing, music and move playback, DVD burning, etc. Ya know, all the stuff you do with your personal computer, but don't normally get a chance to do when you're at a school using their computers. So I bought the Mini, which cost me $900 and some after I upgraded it to the max that they would allow, and I have been extremely happy with it. So happy, in fact, I want another one to run my games.

Obviously I'll have to install Windows on a partition so I can run my games, but my finance and I fight over this one all the time, so just having another one in the house that can run Leopard (unhacked, don't care to bother with that Hacintosh crap you hear about) and my games, is just gravy.

The Mini I have now is an Intel Core 2 Duo 2GHz, with 2GB of RAM installed.

And I really think Apple did a great thing when they switched to Intel processors. Sure, because of the architecture, it's easier to hack, but I doubt many Mac users or people who want to switch to Macs are interested in that.
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 4:59 pm    Post subject: LOL Reply with quote

One time I was talking with someone about getting a Mac and then they said they just didn't feel trendy enough. No what Mac users are, in reality, are smart consumers that enjoy a virus free system and simply reliable computers.

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Mac Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: