123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

iTunes Store gets same-day DVD releases

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 8:50 am    Post subject: iTunes Store gets same-day DVD releases Reply with quote

iTunes Store gets same-day DVD releases
Thursday, May 1, 2008
Posted by: Glenn

Apple today announced that new movie releases from major film studios and premier independent studios are available for purchase on the iTunes Store on the same day as their DVD release. New releases and catalog titles will be available from 20th Century Fox, The Walt Disney Studios, Warner Bros., Paramount Pictures, Universal Studios Home Entertainment, Sony Pictures Entertainment, Lionsgate, Image Entertainment and First Look Studios. Movies purchased from iTunes can be viewed on an iPod with video, iPhone, Mac or PC or on a widescreen TV with Apple TV, with new releases priced at $14.99 and most catalog titles at $9.99.

"We're thrilled to bring iTunes Store customers new films for purchase day-and-date with the DVD release," said Eddy Cue, Apple's vice president of iTunes. "We think movie fans will love being able to buy their favorites from major and independent studios."

New releases available for purchase on the iTunes Store this week, concurrent with their DVD release, include "American Gangster" and "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly." Other popular titles now available for purchase include "Juno," "Cloverfield," "I Am Legend," "There Will Be Blood," "Alvin and the Chipmunks" and "Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story."

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/944.html
WheelSpinners
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they would lower the price more, I'd probably be a little more interested. For now, I would rather own the DVD for the same amount of money.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, but this applies to downloads and not rentals. I guess they are still slugging it out with the movie studios on that front.
iLife's a Bitch!
NRecob

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$10 and almost $15 to rent a movie? Pass. I'll wait a couple of weeks (or even a couple of months) and get the same movie at a Redbox @ Walmart or even better, one of those similar machines at Kroger's. Call me a cheap bastid but $1 for a movie rental works especially when you consider the number of really crappy movies out these days....

Actually though I now find myself reading/viewing A.O. Scott's [NYT Film Critic] written/video reviews http://movies.nytimes.com/pages/movies/index.html --if he likes the film I might check it out--if not, I don't waste my time with it--regardless of price Wink
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer owning *cough* or ripping *cough* the actual DVD. Plus, there are so many good deals out there. The market is completely over saturated at the moment. They release like 2-4 major titles every week (most of which are crap). At that rate it doesn't take long for the major retailers to discount. Why? They need to clear shelf space for the next month's crap.
Bobaloo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NRecob wrote:
$10 and almost $15 to rent a movie? Pass. Wink

That price is to buy and download the movie, (to own,) on iTunes, not for rental. The rental price is still the same only not same day yet.
AppleTVII
16GB iPod Touch 32Gb iPhone
32GB Wi-Fi iPad
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scooper wrote:
I prefer owning *cough* or ripping *cough* the actual DVD. Plus, there are so many good deals out there. The market is completely over saturated at the moment. They release like 2-4 major titles every week (most of which are crap). At that rate it doesn't take long for the major retailers to discount. Why? They need to clear shelf space for the next month's crap.

100% agreed
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ghostdawg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible to burn the movies to dvd disc?
Dinshaw

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ghostdawg wrote:
Is it possible to burn the movies to dvd disc?

Only for backup. The burns won't be playable on a DVD player. At least not yet. For me, that is a major deal breaker for buying from iTunes or Amazon Unbox Video. I would be more inclined to buy a few if you could burn them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: