123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Releases Java for Mac OS X 10.5 Update 1
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:13 pm    Post subject: Apple Releases Java for Mac OS X 10.5 Update 1 Reply with quote

Apple Releases Java for Mac OS X 10.5 Update 1
Tuesday, April 29, 2008
Posted by: Brian

Apple has released Java for Mac OS X 10.5 Update 1 via Mac OS X's Software Update utility and on the Web. According to the company, this update adds Java SE 6 version 1.6.0_05 to your Mac. It does not replace the existing installation of J2SE 5.0 or change the default version of Java. The update weighs in at 57MB and requires Mac OS X 10.5.2 or later, and a 64-bit Intel-based Mac. It cannot run on PowerPC-based or 32-bit Intel-based Macs.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/943.html

Last edited by admin on Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No love for the 32-bit crowd Apple? Sad
Dinshaw

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There has to be updates coming for PPC and 32-bit Intel Macs. This makes no sense. Confused
caulktel

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here we go! I new it would come sooner or later, Apple is going to leave us PPC users in the dust. Oh I'm just an alarmist. Sorry.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not happy about this one either.
Thomo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it does not replace this existing app and change and settings - what's the point. Once installed, are you still using the old version or the new one?
SystemFault

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:59 am    Post subject: The beginning of the end? Reply with quote

Is this is the beginning of the end for PPC and Intel 32 bit support? No, that actually happened a while back with the release of Leopard and its dropping support for G3 machines and "slow" G4 machines.

I said it back then, and I'll say it again now:

When OS/X 10.6 comes out:

1) There will be no PPC support at all, and this includes G5 machines.

2) There will be no support for 32 bit Intel machines, both Core Solo and Core Duo (Core 2 Duo will be safe).

3) 2 GB RAM will be a minimum requirement.

If you don't have what it will take to play, I'd suggest selling the old gear while you can still get something for it.
trustory
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: The beginning of the end? Reply with quote

SystemFault wrote:
Is this is the beginning of the end for PPC and Intel 32 bit support? No, that actually happened a while back with the release of Leopard and its dropping support for G3 machines and "slow" G4 machines.

2) There will be no support for 32 bit Intel machines, both Core Solo and Core Duo (Core 2 Duo will be safe).

If you don't have what it will take to play, I'd suggest selling the old gear while you can still get something for it.

Sorry dude I'm gonna stick my neck on the line and say you are definitely wrong. G5 support will be dropped after 10.6
iPhone 4 Black 16GB
usarcher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: The beginning of the end? Reply with quote

trustory wrote:
SystemFault wrote:

Sorry dude I'm gonna stick my neck on the line and say you are definitely wrong. G5 support will be dropped after 10.6

Ill go out on a limb with you trustory, 10.6 will still have support for the G5. If Leopard works on 867MHz+ G4's and any G5, the worst that will happen in 10.6 is you will need at least 1.6-2.0GHz G5.
SystemFault

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 3:28 am    Post subject: PPC support doomed in 10.6 Reply with quote

Here's more evidence that OS/X 10.6 will drop PPC support: all the recent Xcode/iPhone SDKs were Intel only.
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: PPC support doomed in 10.6 Reply with quote

SystemFault wrote:
Here's more evidence that OS/X 10.6 will drop PPC support: all the recent Xcode/iPhone SDKs were Intel only.

How is that more evidence? Your comparing an OS for older macs to an App for a brand new device? Not exactly an equal comparison. . .
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: PPC support doomed in 10.6 Reply with quote

hackersmovie wrote:
How is that more evidence? Your comparing an OS for older macs to an App for a brand new device? Not exactly an equal comparison. . .

Not to mention, it's 100% speculation, as 10.6 isn't even a wet dream of Steve's yet.
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't be surprised to see PPC support end in 2009 or 2010.
Bobaloo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course it is going to happen someday, we all know that, but it doesn't mean that people will stop using PPCs. I went with my wife looking for a dress for an affair to a dress store here and the entire store was Mac driven, with iMac G3s running system 9. Talk about stepping back in time. The first thing I saw walking in was a Torquoise Toilet seat (or some will nicely call it a clamshell,) iBook. The register station was a 333mhz fruit flavored G3s, (the 333's you recall, had the tray loading CD.) The entire system functioned great. I did see stickers of a support co. on each, so if you are an : entrepreneur, you might set up shop as someone who supports PPCs and the old OS to help those stuck in time.
AppleTVII
16GB iPod Touch 32Gb iPhone
32GB Wi-Fi iPad
SystemFault

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 1:56 pm    Post subject: End of PPC support Reply with quote

Apple's goal is to make more money for its shareholders. Apple makes more money from hardware than from software, and it is to Apple's advantage to motivate new hardware purchases as much as possible.

Apple knows that users of older hardware become pissed when OS support is dropped, but most of them will get over it anyway and cough up the cash for a new machine. And that's what Apple wants.

The last PPC Mac was sold in 2006. Do not expect PPC OS support to last beyond 2010.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: