123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

VMware Fusion 1.1.2 Released

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:09 pm    Post subject: VMware Fusion 1.1.2 Released Reply with quote

VMware Fusion 1.1.2 Released
Thursday, April 24, 2008
Posted by: Glenn

VMware today announced the release of Fusion 1.1.2, an update to their virtualization software for Intel-based Macs. According to the company, VMware Fusion 1.1.2 provides better support for the MacBook Air, enables Time Machine backup of virtual machines, adds support for Windows XP SP3 Boot Camp partitions, and is now available in Simplified Chinese. It also includes numerous bug fixes. VMware Fusion 1.1.2 is a free update for all existing VMware Fusion users. For new users, VMware Fusion retails for $79.99.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/938.html
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the bugs they supposedly fixed was "appropriation" of a usb device away from the Mac side. I hope that's fixed. I'm also hopeful that the current version will be compatible with more of the Linux distros. The Tools package installs readily on some like Ubuntu and PCLinuxOS, whereas it only worked on the non-current versions of Fedora and SuSE.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just how many Linux VMs do you have Fox?
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the moment, three: (K)Ubuntu 7.10, PCLinuxOS and Fedora 7. I had SuSE 10.1, and have downloaded Ubuntu 8.04 to try. I also tried Madriva, but was never able to get the tools package to install on it. Despite all this, I don't use Linux for much (yet); I'm just using these to learn about it.

I use the different ones to try to understand why one thing works on one and not another. For example, my Mattias mouse scroller only works in PCLinuxOS. I looked at the Xorg file and saw differences related to the mouse setup. But when I tried to edit the Ubuntu Xorg file to add the relevant command, I crashed the whole thing and could only recover by going back to an earlier snapshot. (Must have to do with VMware Tools.) But Rhythmbox on Ubuntu will play AAC music files without making me convert them and so far, I haven't been able to figure out how to get the same program to do that in PCLinuxOS, even when I add the necessary converter. Amerok will play them in both distros, but I don't like its layout. Go figure! Anyway, playing with this stuff for me is the equivalent of playing computer games for other people. Smile
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
Anyway, playing with this stuff for me is the equivalent of playing computer games for other people. Smile

Hi! My name is Fox, and I'm an OS junkie. People clap in background. Wink

I'm kind of that way myself. I like to play around with different operating systems from time to time. That being said, there is just something about Linux that doesn't hold me. I'll use it for a few days and come right back to OS X. And with that being said, this was before Parallels or Fusion. I really need to install one of them again for when I get the urge to play around.
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo, I think there are a few other OS junkies on our forum that are worse than me (hackersmovie comes to mind). Wink What I like about these virtualizers is how easy it is to play with other OSes. I can download a distro iso in less than an hour in the background, install it without even burning it on a CD, and that's it. If I don't like it, I throw the virtual disk in the trash and my Mac OS is none the worse for any of it.

Last edited by Fox on Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
devo, I think there are a few other OS junkies on our forum that are worse than me (hackersmovie comes to mind). Wink

Wink True, true. Guilty as charged! My girl even recently said to me "your so funny! Your the only person I know that just installs new OS's when ever they want!" It is my video game of choice! On a serious note though, I've learned a LOT!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: