123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Increasing Airport Range

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bashypack

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:18 am    Post subject: Increasing Airport Range Reply with quote

Hi, I am using my MacMini 1.83 Intel as a media centre - to great effect I might add! - Problem is its position is just on the limit of my wireless router ... is there anyway I can tweak the airport software to increase its range or are there any better 'budget' methods of getting a stronger signal?

Thanks very much.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could go with the a/b/g/n card and tri-band antenna from QuickerTek, but it's expensive.

What kind of router are you using?
iLife's a Bitch!
bashypack

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cable & wireless .....
my Airport extreme died some time ago ....!
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many bars are you getting now? Were you doing better with the AirPort Extreme? Maybe this new router is just weak.

You could also try a USB solution like this. It would allow you to move the receiver to a better location. Is your Mac mini in like a TV stand now?
iLife's a Bitch!
bashypack

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bars seem to vary from 0 to full strength but generally between 1 and 2 - and yes the MacMini is in a wooden cupboard now - with like a radiator grill cover along its front - I guess interference from the other electrical stuff could have something to do with it as well - the Extreme base station died before the mini came along so not sure if there was a difference ..
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An external USB adapter might help you then. You could move it out in the open to a higher spot, away from the rest of your gear (you might need another USB extension cable though). You'd also be ready to go with 802.11n if you get an other router down the road. I think it would be worth a try at $50 bucks. If it doesn't work out, return it.

I thought of something else. Does this router have a 802.11g-only mode?
iLife's a Bitch!
barnz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wireless antenna definately seems to be problem - one I wasn't expecting. An Apple technician explained to me the pretty simple concept that my MacBook PRo had an anteenna as high as the screen, and the mini only as high as could fit inside the mini chassis... an outboard could definitely help. Has anyone tried this? Is there any setup issue to adding wireless to a system that already has it?
jb
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Increasing Airport Range Reply with quote

bashypack wrote:
Hi, I am using my MacMini 1.83 Intel as a media centre - to great effect I might add! - Problem is its position is just on the limit of my wireless router ... is there anyway I can tweak the airport software to increase its range or are there any better 'budget' methods of getting a stronger signal?

Thanks very much.

This should fix your problem, and they're on sale now for $39,
http://www.cantenna.com/
This can connect to your existing router to improve your total network, or connect to your mini via their suggested USB adapter to improve the reception of just the mini.

jb.

Last edited by jb on Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:44 am; edited 1 time in total
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Increasing Airport Range Reply with quote

jb wrote:
This should fix your problem, and their on sale now for $39,
http://www.cantenna.com/
This can connect to your existing router to improve your total network, or connect to your mini via their suggested USB adapter to improve the reception of just the mini.

jb.

WOW! That thing looks HUGE! If it is, I'd prefer the USB solution. . .
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: