123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LaCie Unveils Drive for Mac Mini [Updated]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dynamic wrote:
................. and do they usually have that "smartpower" function the ministack had?

I'd like to hear the comment of Mat @ LaCie or M2inOR about this, because I am curious about this too!!

dynamic wrote:

must say im a bit disappointed it not being a hub although that extra firewire port may just be enough for me.

I have two nice USB hubs laying around: 1 powered (a D-Link) with a nice long and thick silvery USB cable, for placing the hub out of sight, 4 ports, enough for printer, scanner and cameracables. 1 port left in the hub for a tiny mini hub with an extension cable, so it just peeps in a corner of my desk to connect this, that and the other thing. The other USB of the mini for the apple keyboard! In my extra drive and in my FW DVD enclosure there are extra FW ports, so I can just see how to connect these. Unfortunately the extra FW in my HD enclosure only puts the FW through, when it is powered, how's that for the La Cie Mini?

slickrick wrote:
I don't think the prices are bad, and the design is wicked cool. These are $20-$30 cheaper than miniStacks and miniMates in the same capacities. It doesn't seem like these have a hub, so maybe there's your $20-$30 savings. I'm not crazy about the Lacie logo on the front, although, I've seen worse. I was going to buy the miniStack, but now I'm confused what one to buy. Confused

Maybe I can be of help with what I wrote? here Smile

Last edited by James T Kirk on Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:40 pm; edited 4 times in total
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
Mike, I doubt you can release this information. But hopefully you can.
Are you guys going to release a DVD burner in the mini form factor?

If you are looking into a DVD dual layer drive with built in USB/FW hubs in MacMini style + some intersting extra's, look at Difusi. They are coming with a host of new products, like a hub with even ports on the front, even a headphone loop, and a hub with a 2'5 (silent!) drive in it and the same features and much more products. this one See also the links at the bottom.

Bandit Bill wrote:
Do you think it is possible to use some sort of acoustic sound dampening product inside the LaCie case to make it almost silent? I would imagine there would be room to do so without heat issues.

I haven't seen the inside of the case so I'm just throwing out a thought.

I own a Techsolo external combo (FW 400+USB2.0) enclosure in which I put an Hitachi 7K250, 160 GB (7200 rpm/8mb cache). This one was one of the fastest and quitest drives available. This enclosure actually is built up out of two thin aluminum plates and the sides/front are like the front of an G5, but black. So there is plenty of air-circulation, but also sound-circulation. look here
My Hitachi makes clicking noises at mounting/unmounting but the worst part is a low hum/buzz. I put a piece of 1/2 inch thick dampening material underneath it (looks like sh*t) and though it dampens a lot of the noise (I have a glass desktop), it is still there. The LaCie Seagate Barracuda is in a 'thick' aluminum casing, so it might silence the hum/buzz somewhat, but it will never be as quiet as inside a PC or an Mac. BTW I love to buy a LaCie with a 80 Gb drive and than replace it with my Hitachi drive, but that would void the warranty Confused
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 2:34 pm    Post subject: Update! Reply with quote

...But I still DID buy the 80 GB LaCie Mini Companion for a excellent price on a local Dutch forum for 80 euro's, including shipping! At this site I found out how to open it and I found a Hitachi Deskstar 83GB/7200 rpm/2mb in it. I replaced it with my Hitachi Deskstar 162 GB/7200rpm/8mb and put the smaller HD which is HFS+ formatted in my Techsolo case. Tomorrow a guy from Amsterdam will pick this set up for E 70 euro's (not bad as he's got a brandnew june 2005 fabricated disk in it) and a Firewire 400/USB 2.0 enclosure to go with. Yes I void the warranty but I'd like to take my chances. Short and good, it works like a charm and it did not cost me much more than I already had! If the 160 GB will no be enough, I just pop in a 250 GB and sell my 160 GB Hitachi drive. The only downfall is, that the Firewire loop will work when the drive is powered. So I might go for the Belkin or the Difusi Hub.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
Page 11 of 11

Jump to: