123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Two IPs on a Mac Mini network interface?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phaedrus

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:49 pm    Post subject: Two IPs on a Mac Mini network interface? Reply with quote

I'm making the plunge and picking up a 2.0GHz C2D Mac Mini after work today and it'll be my first Mac (it'll be the first Apple in my house since the Apple IIe Smile ). I've just realised that I don't even know if it's able to do what I need in terms of its LAN connection. I need it to have two IP addresses. I have a device that when starting up needs to connect to an IP address and pick up a config file via TFTP, and then once this has completed its IP address changes and the IP address of the computer needs to change. To automate this I currently have a network card in a Windows XP PC that just always has two IP addresses, but do not know if it is possible under OS X on the Mac Mini. Does anyone know if this is achievable?

I guess my next step after this will be seeing if I can get the TFTP service configured to behave as I want... I was reading a 'learn the UNIX behind OS X' type book today in a store and it looked reasonable, and I have *nix experience so will hopefully be able to figure it out Smile

Thanks in advance for your help...
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is probably. The Network system preference allows you to add a second instance of your ethernet connection (and probably others). I tried it, assigned a different IP to that second ethernet connection, and was able to connect to either IP via other machines on my LAN. Your experience may vary a bit, but it's a step in the right direction.
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Phaedrus"? Are you a fan of Pirsig?
phaedrus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyBoy wrote:
"Phaedrus"? Are you a fan of Pirsig?

Yeah, and my search for quality has predictably led me to becoming a Mac user Wink
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

phaedrus wrote:
Yeah, and my search for quality has predictably led me to becoming a Mac user Wink

Excellent answer! Smile
stupkid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doing a search for "virtual interfaces" on Apple.com leads me to this article:

http://www.apple.com/server/macosx/technology/networking.html

which says that it is supported on Max OS X Server. My guess is that it is supported on the mini with vanilla Mac OS X as well. I'm sure a bit more searching would lead to a more specific article.
phaedrus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duh! The one place I hadn't thought to look was www.apple.com Smile I think this might be what I'm looking for, http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.5/en/15134.html - It only I hadn't found a possible solution at 9.30am, now I have to wait all day to get home and see if it works... and then once I get TFTP working how I want it I can finally turn off my Windows XP box and start turning it into a NAS Smile
phaedrus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update - It's working!

For anyone else that comes across this issue, ClunkClunk was on the money. I tried setting up a virtual interface under System Preferences > Network > That advanced settings gear icon thing > Manage Virtual Interfaces... but I was only able to choose the ethernet interface, when I needed to have it on my USB Ethernet adapter. So going back to ClunkClunk's suggestion, I just duplicated the USB Ethernet using System Preferences > Network > That advanced settings gear icon thing > Duplicate Service and set it up with the second IP address and it just worked... now I have the 100Mbit USB ethernet connecting to the network device that only has a throughput around 15Mbit and can use my onboard ethernet to connect to my fileserver at 1Gbit Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: