123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NAS Q & A. . .

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:56 pm    Post subject: NAS Q & A. . . Reply with quote

So, with my recent network upgrade I'd like to know if I add a NAS (looking at the MiniStack NAS unit from OWC) will it be available to ALL the machines on the wired and wireless networks?

Here is a quick diagram. (I am no artist, so it looks like a 6 yr old did it! Sorry! LOL)

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
stupkid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kinds of network file systems are you sharing from you NAS, SMB/CIFS, Apple Share, NFS, etc.? I assume that the Belkin is the only DHCP server? I assume we are talking about TCP/IP here not some other protocol?

My first guess is that you should be fine, but depending on how you have things configured it might be an issue.
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stupkid wrote:
What kinds of network file systems are you sharing from you NAS, SMB/CIFS, Apple Share, NFS, etc.?

Huh? Currently I just mount the other machine on the one I need to transfer files. Are you asking how I'll format the NAS?
stupkid wrote:
I assume that the Belkin is the only DHCP server? I assume we are talking about TCP/IP here not some other protocol?

Actually both the Wireless G & Airport are set for DHCP. Is that wrong?

What I'm wanting to do is:

Separate the "B" & "G" wireless
Printing is done wirelessly via the Airport Express and it's there for the "B" network for the slower machines.
I got the Wireless G for the 4port router more than anything but, once I got it I thought I would separate the wireless to keep the speeds running at max.

Now I want to add a NAS that is availble to ALL the machines. It will store common information for all users. All sorts of file formats.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good to me. Just be sure the Belkin router is the only one giving out IP addresses, and the AP Express is not (set Connection Sharing to "Off" and it will let the Belkin hand out IP addresses, avoiding any subnet conflicts).
sandor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hackersmovie wrote:
stupkid wrote:
What kinds of network file systems are you sharing from you NAS, SMB/CIFS, Apple Share, NFS, etc.?

Huh? Currently I just mount the other machine on the one I need to transfer files. Are you asking how I'll format the NAS?

looks like you are all Apple, so you want a NAS that supports AFP (Apple Filing Protocol - Apple's network communications protocol), what hackersmovie called "Apple Share"

SMB/CIFS is windows
NFS is a more open protocol

Any decent NAS today will support all three, and probably FTP as well. I use NASLite for my NAS needs www.serverelements.com but it is a fairly complex thing to setup and use, as it is BYOHardware.
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sandor wrote:
looks like you are all Apple

I am hardware wise, however, I do dual boot the Intel iMac and triple boot the Macbook. How will this change the settings, if at all?

iMac dual boots - OS X & XP SP2
Macbook triple boots - OS X, Ubuntu & XP SP2

Is there a better file format for the NAS?
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a big fan of the Ministack NAS models. Some of the notes cause some concern:
Quote:
Simultaneous Write access for up to 20 PCs is possible, Write access for Macs is limited to a single user at a time. Best performance in PC environment is obtained with fewest connections.

There's also some concerns that the Ximeta system that the Ministack uses is not truly a NAS, but an NDAS, which could limit its potential.
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ClunkClunk wrote:
I'm not a big fan of the Ministack NAS models. Some of the notes cause some concern:
Quote:
Simultaneous Write access for up to 20 PCs is possible, Write access for Macs is limited to a single user at a time. Best performance in PC environment is obtained with fewest connections.

There's also some concerns that the Ximeta system that the Ministack uses is not truly a NAS, but an NDAS, which could limit its potential.

What would you suggest? I need to be able to read/write from all the machines, including the "other" OS's installed. (i.e. XP and Linux)
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not used their products recently, but Buffalo's Linkstation designs have been fairly powerful and well reviewed. I personally own an Iomega NAS, and it will work with any OS and multiple machines simultaneously.
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ClunkClunk wrote:
I have not used their products recently, but Buffalo's Linkstation designs have been fairly powerful and well reviewed. I personally own an Iomega NAS, and it will work with any OS and multiple machines simultaneously.

Clunk, What about a TimeCapsule? Hey, then I can have 3 separate wireless networks, b,g and n! Just don't know about the Linux compatibility. . .
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure about Linux support for TC either, however if the TC can do smb/cifs for Windows, I would surmise that Linux could as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: