123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

stupid Mail question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac OS X
View previous topic :: View next topic  
twalker294

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:14 am    Post subject: stupid Mail question Reply with quote

I have what is probably a dumb question. If I am in Mail and I open a message, how can I go to the next message without closing the current email and "manually" opening the next one? I am looking for a keyboard shortcut to go to the next message. Surely Mail will do this...

Thanks
Todd
twalker294

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, 36 views and no replies -- are you guys trying to tell me this can't be done? Wink
kgregc

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm

There are 2 ways to view mail that I know of.

1. With the window split, normal view, when I click on a message it opens up in the lower window and I read it. If I want to see another message, I just click on it and it opens up where the other message was and I read it. Simple...no closing before seeing the next message.

2. With the window pulled down all the way, so all you see is just the from/title information, double clicking on a message will open it up in a seperate window. This way, you have to close it before you can go to another message.

I suggest you use method #1 and see if it solves your problem.

Does this answer your question?

Greg
20" Cinema Monitor
250Gb LaCie Mini HD
60Gb Black iPod
2.0Ghz Dual G5 Tower (it rocks!)
3Gb Ram, 2 x 160Gb HD
17" 2.0GHz Core 2 Duo iMac
Wireless Keyboard/mouse
twalker294

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Told you it was a stupid question Wink

I have been using Outlook and Outlook Express in the manner you describe in #2 for years because of all the potential viruses that can come through email and simply viewing the message in a preview pane can get you into trouble. When I set up Mail on my mini I naturally set it up the same way. Your #1 method solved my problem -- thanks!

Todd
homerjatmoes

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

twalker294 wrote:
Told you it was a stupid question Wink

I have been using Outlook and Outlook Express in the manner you describe in #2 for years because of all the potential viruses that can come through email and simply viewing the message in a preview pane can get you into trouble. When I set up Mail on my mini I naturally set it up the same way. Your #1 method solved my problem -- thanks!

Todd
You should block images from displaying when using the preview pane in order to prevent SPAM from proliferating.

SPAM usually has a 1x1 pixel or any other sized remotely located image that is associated with your email address, when the image is accesed on the server it puts your email address in the known good list and you wil get more SPAM and your address will be sold as known god to other SPAMMERS.

Instructions here
80GB HDD
External DVD burner
45.23 Xbench 1.2 average
FireWire Boot Guide
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

homerjatmoes wrote:

SPAM usually has a 1x1 pixel or any other sized remotely located image that is associated with your email address, when the image is accesed on the server it puts your email address in the known good list and you wil get more SPAM and your address will be sold as known god to other SPAMMERS.

The 1X1 pixel is the biggest "little" security threat ever. I hate spam so bad! Mad
aristobrat

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if you turn off the HTML rendering, you can't easily turn it back on for an email you know is good, can you?

I've been making myself use the Mail.app to get some experience using it, but if that's the case, I may end up switching back to Thunderbird. Sad
homerjatmoes

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aristobrat wrote:
So if you turn off the HTML rendering, you can't easily turn it back on for an email you know is good, can you?

I've been making myself use the Mail.app to get some experience using it, but if that's the case, I may end up switching back to Thunderbird. Sad

There is a load images button just like Thunderbird. Personally I use Thunderbird because I work on Windows, Linux, and OS X platforms and that way Ii only need to know one app.
80GB HDD
External DVD burner
45.23 Xbench 1.2 average
FireWire Boot Guide
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
aristobrat

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was using Thunderbird at work/home, but decided to give Mail.app a spin to get some experience and because it integrates w/ Spotlight.

If it has the "Load Images" button like Thunderbird, then I guess my only gripe w/ Mail.app is that when I delete a message from my Inbox (which is sorted by date to show the newest emails on top), it automatically moves UP and highlights that message instead of moving down and highlighting that message (like Outlook / Thunderbird). This can suck when hit the DELETE key 5x expecting the email you've highlighted and the four UNDER it to get deleted, but the four ABOVE it get nuked instead. Ugh. Very Happy
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aristobrat wrote:
I was using Thunderbird at work/home, but decided to give Mail.app a spin to get some experience and because it integrates w/ Spotlight.

I really like Mail 2. The integration with Spotlight is a huge plus. I just wish Mail had Thunderbirds RSS reader.
aristobrat

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, neither Mail or Quicken was love at first sight, but I'm beginning to really like both. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac OS X All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: