123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Problems getting Harmony Remote working with Mini

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iRob

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:10 am    Post subject: Problems getting Harmony Remote working with Mini Reply with quote

hackersmovie wrote:
From your sig. What's the issue? I've had my 880 working great for over a year. . . .

Hurray, a fellow 880 user! Sorry, hackersmovie, you may be in for a ride helping me (if you're willing). Smile

Well, I've read and re-read the "Logitech Harmony remote (setup guide to replicate the Apple)" thread. In fact, I have a few posts on that thread. My main problem -- the one that makes the remote completely unusable in fact -- is that I've not been able to get the Harmony's button repeat to send Apple Remote type repeat codes.

For instance, when you press and hold the Right button on the Apple Remote, I understand that this type of key press is unique from the single-press Right button on the Apple Remote. On that thread, someone recommended that I use the "Learn Raw format".

But every time I've tried that the Logitech software says that it couldn't learn the codes and recommends I press the original remote button for shorter duration. But that's precisely what I'm trying not to do. I want it to learn the press-and-hold codes!
  • Roku 2 XS
  • Samsung Blu Ray
  • Samsung TV
  • Logitech Squeezebox
  • iPad 2 - DVP Remote app, RedEye app, Plex app, Remote Buddy app, Apple Remote app, iPeng app
iRob

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, looks like there is another good thread for me to study.
  • Roku 2 XS
  • Samsung Blu Ray
  • Samsung TV
  • Logitech Squeezebox
  • iPad 2 - DVP Remote app, RedEye app, Plex app, Remote Buddy app, Apple Remote app, iPeng app
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a while since I set up my Harmony, but I found that I couldn't ever get it to learn the long presses, but I was able to use Logitech's device database to get it to work, by adding an iMac (in my case, my iMac is my HTmac), and the remote codes, both long and press were already filled out, I just had to customize what positions they went it.
iRob

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the insight. I'll try changing my Mac from the Mini to iMac and see if I can find those codes too.
  • Roku 2 XS
  • Samsung Blu Ray
  • Samsung TV
  • Logitech Squeezebox
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha! I made mine a Digital Music Server (Apple iPod).

I also recall that these seemed to work well:
Quote:
1. add a device and specify it as a music player, then digital music server
2. Specify Apple, then iPod as the model
3. When asked if you have a remote for this click yes
4. This will then lead you to a screen where it will ask you to have your original remote (the Apple Remote) and put it line with the Harmony while attached to your USB port.
5. Skip the Power button, next button will be Play, and hit the middle play button on the remote. It will then recognize the remote and go to the next screen. Skip the number setting.
6. Then you will be taken to your device screen. Click the Settings button. Then cllick the Change Behavior of Buttons
7. on the next screen you need to map the Apple Remote controls to the Harmony's circular navigation buttons, since the default is to use the volume buttons which is not good. So just set Volume Up to the UP Button, Volume Down to the Down button, Fast Forward to the Right Button, and Rewind to the Left button, and Play to the OK button. Menu can stay as Menu. This will mimic the Apple Remote on the Harmony, and allow you to use the Volume controls for an AV receiver etc.

Good luck!
Rolie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iRob,

Try my instructions http://www.123macmini.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17765&highlight=harmony+remote. They're quite simple.

The key is choosing "No" when the setup guide asks if you have a remote for the Mini. When you choose "no", you bypass the step of Mini remote to Harmony in-line communication, which is unnecessary because the current codes in their database work fine (you just have to re-map them to your liking).

The only change I did outside of the instructions was drop the delays down to 100. As a result my harmony has the same "feel " as the apple remote and yes even the press-and-hold keys work.

FYI - I'm using their 7.4.3.0 software version.
iRob

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolie wrote:
iRob,
Try my instructions. They're quite simple.

Thanks, Rolie. You're right, I re-setup my Mini today with your guide, and the Logitech database values now work for me. Pretty much like magic, the press-n-hold is now working too. I haven't found (yet) the need to change the delay times either.

Have you found a way to sleep the Mini with the Harmony when you press the power off button? That would be nifty.
  • Roku 2 XS
  • Samsung Blu Ray
  • Samsung TV
  • Logitech Squeezebox
jimbohc

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iRob wrote:

Have you found a way to sleep the Mini with the Harmony when you press the power off button? That would be nifty.

This is the problem I have too. The Harmony works beautifully with all the other kit when switching Acvitity - kit no longer in use powers off as it should. The Mini, however, resolutely refuses to go to sleep.

The Harmony wakes the Mini without a problem and (being old skool as I am) works with FR perfectly - haven't managed to get Plex to work properly yet.

Also, as an aside, does anyone know if the Harmony (525 in my case) can work with EyeTV and the Hauppuage HD PVR?
kciR

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what's the least expensive Harmony remote that will let me control Front Row, Plex, EyeTV (if possible) and the Hulu desktop? Is there anything else decent below the 550, or is that the one I should go with?
tales
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

550 Universal Remote Control - Refurbished is $49, new case, no scratches, factory warranty.

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Harmony-550-Universal-Control/dp/B001NLZ17W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1244031771&sr=8-1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: