123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LaCie Intros New Triple Interface Hard Drive

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject: LaCie Intros New Triple Interface Hard Drive Reply with quote

LaCie Intros New Triple Interface Hard Drive
Thursday, April 3, 2008
Posted by: Glenn

LaCie has announced the latest model of its Hard Disk, Design by Neil Poulton - a new triple interface version consisting of USB 2.0, eSATA, and Firewire 400 in capacities of 500 GB, 750GB and 1TB. Created exclusively for LaCie by designer Neil Poulton, the sleek and compact device has a black-mirrored finish and includes a unique blue LED strip that LaCie says enhances the storage experience. It also features natural heat dissipation thanks to a sturdy casing with bottom plate holes for natural airflow. The 500GB model is priced at $169.99, 750GB at $229.99 and 1TB at $339.99. A USB-only version is also available at the starting price of $119.99.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/927.html
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sure would be nice to see Apple jump on the eSATA and Blu-ray bandwagon soon. Some of these new drives are looking pretty sweet. Sad
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"My God! It's full of stars!"

Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyBoy wrote:
"My God! It's full of stars!"

Are those apes in the background? Wink

I'm not crazy about glossy black equipment, but I sort of like the minimalist design of these drives. That being said, I'd probably go with one of those new WD MyBooks that came out the other day if I was in the market for a 1TB drive.

I also have to agree with Devo. Apple needs to get moving on those fronts.
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: LaCie Intros New Triple Interface Hard Drive Reply with quote

admin wrote:
...and includes a unique blue LED strip that LaCie says enhances the storage experience.

"Enhances the storage experience"? Who the hell comes up with this garbage? Laughing
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what's going on with LaCie these days, but I think their product line has become very boring from a design standpoint. It seems like every drive they come out with is a designer drive by Sam Hecht or Neil Poulton. And everything they design looks a square box. I wouldn't mind having one of those Little Big Disk Quadra drives, but even that traditional LaCie look is starting to get played out.
iLife's a Bitch!
trustory
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:
I don't know what's going on with LaCie these days, but I think their product line has become very boring from a design standpoint. It seems like every drive they come out with is a designer drive by Sam Hecht or Neil Poulton. And everything they design looks a square box. I wouldn't mind having one of those Little Big Disk Quadra drives, but even that traditional LaCie look is starting to get played out.

Sorry g5g5 I have to disagree with you there. Even though I think all the drives look quite similar I really like there simple classy styling.
iPhone 4 Black 16GB
stevenz

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good grief. Designer drive enclosures? It's a black box with a piano-black finish and annoying blue LEDs. How 2005.

And why no FW800!?
zen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think having style in hardware is fine as long as it doesn't affect function or make the price much higher.

These have great style in my mind and are very reasonably priced. Think I may just buy the triple interface 500GB model.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trustory wrote:
Sorry g5g5 I have to disagree with you there. Even though I think all the drives look quite similar I really like there simple classy styling.

I just think they could/should be doing better. That being said, there is so much that you can do with an external drive enclosure. Maybe it's the designer thing irking me. Laughing
iLife's a Bitch!
trustory
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:
Maybe it's the designer thing irking me. Laughing

If your saying that the "Designed by xxxxx" is annoying you then I agree. Most of the people who have designed for LaCie I have never heard of and I guess I'm not alone in that. Putting a designers name on it for the sake of it is unnecessary. Can you imagine Jonathan Ive slapping his name on the iMac when it was first released? Now that would have been tacky.
iPhone 4 Black 16GB
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a coupon code in the mail for $30 off the 750GB USB model. That brings the price down to $150. The code is "POULTON" if anyone wants to use it. It's good until the 18th.
Cheffy Dave

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

curt wrote:
I got a coupon code in the mail for $30 off the 750GB USB model. That brings the price down to $150. The code is "POULTON" if anyone wants to use it. It's good until the 18th.

Sweet! Thanks for the code! Ordering today Mr. Green
usarcher

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone picked one of these drives up? I am really interested as they would go great with my entertainment setup. Just curious about the noise level and heat that comes from them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: