123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac Mini Rumors Come Around Full Circle

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:30 am    Post subject: Mac Mini Rumors Come Around Full Circle Reply with quote

Mac Mini Rumors Come Around Full Circle
Saturday, March 22, 2008
Posted by: Brian

Well, in case you haven't heard, AppleInsider now believes that Apple will indeed carry on with the Mac mini. This comes from the same AppleInsider that brought you, "Closing the book on Apple's Mac mini" and "Mac mini nears End-of-Life" over the last year. You know, the two articles that seem to be mentioned in every story written about the Mac mini. But don't break out the bubbly or stick out your tongues just yet. I'm not saying they are right this time around either. God only knows where Apple will take the Mac mini from here. It's also possible that Apple had a change of heart when it comes to the Mac mini and decided to keep it around. According to my sources, the Mac mini continues to be a strong seller. I just found it a little amusing to see the AppleInsider rumors come around full circle. Am I the only one?

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/914.html

Last edited by admin on Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:57 am; edited 6 times in total
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it amusing as well.

I personally do not put any merit in rumors, I think rumors are destructive to both business and consumers. All too often people end up disappointed by having faith in rumors that don't come true. I would guess that for every 100 rumors that I read only about 1% are actually true and that is likely due to luck.

What's funny about AppleInsider is they are considered "reputable".
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only get excited when rumors sites start mentioning part numbers. The rest of the time, it just sounds like babble and speculation. I never thought Apple would get rid of the Mac mini anyways. I think it's an important product in their lineup.
Aquafire
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
I find it amusing as well.
What's funny about AppleInsider is they are considered "reputable".

I used to be a member there.

Sadly, the site has seen better days.

Not wanting to get into a bunfight, but I can't help but notice things haven'tr been the same ever since the powers that be, decided to dump Brad.... Rolling Eyes

Oh well...so it goes..

One has to be philosophical about these things I suppose... Cool

Aquafire

Which would you choose?

OS X : LinuX : UniX or MS-BolloX.
castaway

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
I would guess that for every 100 rumors that I read only about 1% are actually true and that is likely due to luck.

I see that number going higher. Knowing the Intel roadmap has made predicting Apple updates as easy as shooting fish in barrel. Once one of the systems gets updated to the latest family of chips, it's easy to guess how everything else will fall into place.

I just hope Apple updates the bloody thing soon. I know like three people that are waiting.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still wating for the Asteroid to hit. Razz
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Admittedly, I used to get enthusiastic about these rumour sites and the stories they had. Now I think of them as the net equivalent of the National Enquirer.
Bobaloo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
I'm still wating for the Asteroid to hit. Razz

and the big hurricane that they say is going to hit Long Island every year.

(causing my home owner's insurance to skyrocket.)

If and when the new mini upgrade comes out, it'll come out. Until them, I am not even looking at the rumors.
AppleTVII
16GB iPod Touch 32Gb iPhone
32GB Wi-Fi iPad
Zaty

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was always skeptical about AppleInsider's clamis Apple would dump the mini. I have been thinking that if Apple were to phase out the mini, they would replace it with a new Mac that has a similar concept.

In my opinion it would be a big mistake if Apple took the mini off the market without offering a similar design. Although the iMac is a great computer (I have one myself) there are people who simply don't want AIO computers.
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst I ended up buying an iMac as my first Mac it was the mini which got me interested in switching. Without the mini I would never have looked.

I switched in Aug 07 and since buying that iMac, I have also bought a Macbook and a Macbook Pro. So without the mini, Apple would have lost 3 sales at least.

I still haven't ruled out adding a couple of mini's to my collection as I kill off the remaining PCs in the house Razz

Long live the Mini I say Cool

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
Zuma

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zaty wrote:
In my opinion it would be a big mistake if Apple took the mini off the market without offering a similar design. Although the iMac is a great computer (I have one myself) there are people who simply don't want AIO computers.

I agree. It would be a huge mistake for Apple to take the Mac mini off the market. If they do eliminate the Mac mini, it needs to be replaced immediately with another headless system in the same price range. I really hope that Apple realizes this because I can't see myself ever buying an AIO desktop.
MaDDuck

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could see the Mini getting revised, and updates, but not cancelled.

Either internally DVI, better video, etc or maybe even an external smoothing out. The mini is sharp and more than keeps up with the rest of the Apple product lines in design.

It's a great platform, and if Apple cans it, they had better have something better in the wings!!
Tuishimi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can say is if they beef up the mini significantly come next September, I will be sad. I just picked up a 24" iMac 2.4. Stuck 4 GB of ram in it. One thing about this iMac - gaming is significantly improved (tho' I am not a huge gamer). Smile

My beefed up mini is in my son's capable hands now. It has plenty enough power for anything he does, including playing Lego: Star Wars games. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doupt that apple will stop the mac mini.

Apple Knows that without the mini there sales would start to fall.

A lot of people enjoy the mac mini especially user's who cannot for out $2200 for a pro setup.

I hope apple will soon update the mini to a new graphics chipset.

But until then are mini's do the job just fine.
West76

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree about the mini filling an important niche of Apple's lineup. The first Mac I ever bought was an Intel core solo 1.5 Ghz. Since then I have purchased an Imac 2.0 Ghz and a Macbook 2.0 Ghz. I also have family that have made the switch since I did. That makes 3 extra sales due to the mac mini I bought.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: