123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Toshiba DVI and VGA Dynadocks - Multimonitor on your Mini!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Classifieds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdduncan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:03 pm    Post subject: Toshiba DVI and VGA Dynadocks - Multimonitor on your Mini! Reply with quote

Now that DisplayLink has released beta drivers for their USB Video chipsets, I have been testing Toshiba Dynadocks on my Intel Mini and have been very happy with the results. The docks are working great! I have tested both the DVI and VGA versions of the Dynadock with both types of monitors and am getting good performance. There are some limitations, but I'm very happy to be using Multimon again after having it in the PC world. Youtube videos look great on the 2nd monitor. Make sure to check out the readme for the Mac OS driver at DisplayLink.

http://www.displaylink.com/mac_beta_drivers.html

Here is a list of the devices in the Dynadock and what I have been able to test:

Video - DVI Model works with both DVI and VGA connections
VGA Model works only with VGA connection (Duh!)

6 Port USB Hub - all ports work

USB Sound - Headphone Jack - Speakers work
S/PDIF - I am unable to test
Mic Jack - Untested

USB Ethernet - Works in both 100mb and 10mb modes

Serial Port - Untested

I am going to use one of the DVI models permanently. I have another DVI model and a VGA model and I would like to sell them. They both include cables and A/C adapters.

The DVI version is $165 new. I would take $100 for it.
The VGA version is $139 new. I would take $75 for it.

Leopard w/XP under Parallels
Toshiba DVI Dynadock
Apple thin keyboard and mouse
fishera

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so exactly how does this dock work?

and another overall question I have about the multimonitor thing is this: Does it share from the 64MB integrated graphics or does it suck ram? Basically, how does it power those pixels?

thanks! I might be interested actually.
jdduncan

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 9:20 am    Post subject: Dynadock Reply with quote

The Dynadock has a video chip and memory in the unit so your system memory is not affected except for normal driver install.

I have tested all of the ports except the digital sound and the microphone and all are working, including the serial port.

The drivers are definitely beta and there are a few bugs, but overall the dock is working great.
Leopard w/XP under Parallels
Toshiba DVI Dynadock
Apple thin keyboard and mouse
gheorghev

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:20 pm    Post subject: G4 & dynadock? Reply with quote

I have two G4 mac minis and would like to use them with a second monitor. they run 10.4.11 and leopard (this one is also overclocked at 1.58 Ghz).
would these function with dynadocks?
thanks!
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to recommend that you googled "USB to DVI adapter" -- but a G4 CPU isn't powerful enough to act as a GPU for a second screen.

Perhaps if you could find another Mac with it's own display, you could connect it to your Mini using an ethernet cable and use ScreenRecycler to "borrow" its screen... http://www.screenrecycler.com/home.html
gheorghev

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:57 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Well, looks good. I even have an Imac lamp that would do just fine, but then the reason Im not using it is the noisier attitude. "Borrowing" the screen would be just fine if I could cut the noise down: I mostly do word processing and I need peace. I have a nice 20" eizo pivot oldie screen with my mini, and would like to get an identical second one.
Also, Im intending to use the two mini setup via a Belkin KVM switch I just bought: So the idea was: belkin one monitor, keyboard and mouse, with the main mini getting another monitor. Will see.
Dynadock is readily available on the market here, but then it specifically says G4 is a no go. Not sure why...
And yes, my other lane was heading towards a newertech usb-vga adapter... but I find it somewhat expensive. I could buy a 27" that would probably solve all these without hassles, if I only could Smile
Thanks a lot and please tell me if you think a g4 mini is a dead end as far as the two monitors scenario is concerned.
A happy new year!
gheorghev

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:06 pm    Post subject: screen recycler Reply with quote

Hmm...

What if I install screen recycler on both minis, that is when I use one the other is a screen, and then when I switch, the other is served? It could work, I guess, and I could ask a friend to write me a quick software switch between the two screen recycler sessions running. Just a thought...

? Smile
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you can do that.... on the main Mini, you install ScreenRecycler and on the secondary Mini, you install "JollysFastVNC". You can see the effect in the video here: http://www.screenrecycler.com/video.html

This way, you'll only have to spend money on the ScreenRecycler software and that extra screen for your second Mini. And you'll finish with a very quiet word processor over two screens! Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Classifieds All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: