123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

trouble burning a slideshow

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alf

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:29 pm    Post subject: trouble burning a slideshow Reply with quote

I have tried to get a slideshow burned to either a cd-r or a dvd-r and just cannot seem to get it done. I have burned slideshows to a cd often on a pc with no trouble, but I just cannot get it done on the Mini. Any ideas or tutorials?
homerjatmoes

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: trouble burning a slideshow Reply with quote

alf wrote:
I have tried to get a slideshow burned to either a cd-r or a dvd-r and just cannot seem to get it done. I have burned slideshows to a cd often on a pc with no trouble, but I just cannot get it done on the Mini. Any ideas or tutorials?

Here is a guide using iPhoto:
http://www.wellesley.mec.edu/whs/pages/WHS%20Library/How%20To/handouts/iPhoto%20Burn%20CD.pdf

Have you ever used Picasa 2 from Google on the PC? I hope Google ports it soon.
80GB HDD
External DVD burner
45.23 Xbench 1.2 average
FireWire Boot Guide
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
twalker294

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Picasa 2 on the PC and it's a great program -- especially for free. I don't know if I like it better than iPhoto though. What do you like about it more than iPhoto?

Todd
homerjatmoes

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

twalker294 wrote:
I have Picasa 2 on the PC and it's a great program -- especially for free. I don't know if I like it better than iPhoto though. What do you like about it more than iPhoto?

Todd

For one it does make slideshows faster, I felt the interface to iPhoto not as nice or as comfortable as Picasa 2. Of course my first experience with iPhoto was horrible so I no longer use it. The only iLife app I like and use is iTunes.
80GB HDD
External DVD burner
45.23 Xbench 1.2 average
FireWire Boot Guide
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
alf

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

homerjatmoes wrote:
twalker294 wrote:

Todd

For one it does make slideshows faster, I felt the interface to iPhoto not as nice or as comfortable as Picasa 2. Of course my first experience with iPhoto was horrible so I no longer use it. The only iLife app I like and use is iTunes.

I still cannot get a slide show using iPhoto. Even following the directions to the first response to my post I can get to #4 which says click "organize" button and I cannot find any "organize" button.
I have spent frustrating hours trying to do this, something I could have finished in 10 minutes on the pc except that all the pictures are on the Mini.
homerjatmoes

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alf wrote:
homerjatmoes wrote:
twalker294 wrote:

Todd

I still cannot get a slide show using iPhoto. Even following the directions to the first response to my post I can get to #4 which says click "organize" button and I cannot find any "organize" button.
I have spent frustrating hours trying to do this, something I could have finished in 10 minutes on the pc except that all the pictures are on the Mini.

Try here:
http://www.cap.nsw.edu.au/techtalk/iphoto.htm#slides
80GB HDD
External DVD burner
45.23 Xbench 1.2 average
FireWire Boot Guide
alf

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

homerjatmoes wrote:
alf wrote:
homerjatmoes wrote:
twalker294 wrote:

Todd

Try here:
http://www.cap.nsw.edu.au/techtalk/iphoto.htm#slides

I can get the slideshow made on iPhoto, but i just cannot get it burned to a cd,
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to iPhoto > Share > Export. It will save the Slideshow as a Quicktime .mov in the folder of your choice. You can then burn the file to disk. This way you can share it with Windoze users that have Quicktime. Very Happy
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
alf

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blazer wrote:
Go to iPhoto > Share > Export. It will save the Slideshow as a Quicktime .mov in the folder of your choice. You can then burn the file to disk. This way you can share it with Windoze users that have Quicktime. Very Happy

I wanted to get the slideshow burned to a cd that would play on a dvd player, not necessarily just for the computer.
greg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alf wrote:
I wanted to get the slideshow burned to a cd that would play on a dvd player, not necessarily just for the computer.

Sounds like you are talking about a VCD. You can make very nice DVD picture slideshows using iDVD. It integrates well with your existing iPhoto library. I don't believe iDVD supports the VCD format (if that is what you really want) but I would have to check. You would need something like Toast to produce VCDs. Its not a matter of PC vs. Mac. Its a matter of what software tools you are using.
Dell 1905FP
Logitech Wave Cordless Desktop
philpro68

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: trouble burning a slideshow Reply with quote

alf wrote:

Alf, I have burned a DVD pretty easily in IDVD. I am at work now, but I will come back later and walk you through it step by step. But from recollection, if you open IPhoto, on the left side of the screen you should see the photos that you want to use. click on the photo album that you want to use, then their is a button at the bottom that say's slide show. Click that and it will open the photos within that album. at the top you should see small thumbnails of the other photos. you can click on each photo and assign the different transitions like fade, flip etc. click the preview anytime to see whats going on, click again and it brings you back to the edit screen I believe. As far as organizing the order of the photos, I think you can just grab the thumbnails and pull them to a different order what ever you want. when you're done, go to the share> export to IDVD like someone else suggested. Open IDVD, the post cards theme will begin playing and you will see the album you created in the titles. Turn off the motion by clicking the motion button, double clickin the window should bring up the pictures in thumbnails. I will have to get home and have it open to get through the rest, but that should get you going somewhat.
Once you get used to the interface, it is simple. I burned a DVD for my wife's Photography studio of a wedding she did, and it's amazing. I will check back to see how far you get tonight. Hope this helps a little. Wink
alf

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 2:07 pm    Post subject: I found the answer Reply with quote

I had succeeded to a point and I did not know it. I had created a photo cd with the mini, but I could not get it to play as a slideshow on the mini. It would open up on iPhoto as a series of pictures. Since my pc was not set for autorun I opened it on My Computer and there it also was a series of pictures and not a slideshow. But when I tried it on a friend's pc that was on autorun it gave me the choice to play as a slideshow and it did, although the cd would not play in my dvd player. I did succeed in burning the slideshow to a dvd using iDvd and it would play on my dvd player.

Thanks to all for their help and suggestions. Two questions: is there a way to get the mini to play a slideshow, and how may a cd slideshow be burned on the mini that will play on a dvd player? Actually the second question is not that big of a deal anymore with dvd-rs going for less than 50 cents, but I would like to know if it could be done.

TIA,
Alf
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: