123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Save this planet!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shorafix

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:21 am    Post subject: Save this planet! Reply with quote

Anyone else beeing concerned about the energy consumption of AppleTV? We don't use our AppleTV everyday. However, touching it after about two days of being idle, it seems still be hot enough to prepare a full breakfast on it's surface. Rolling Eyes
trustory
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apple TV has a 48 watt power adapter which compares to the 60 watt one on my MacBook so it doesn't seem to bad.
iPhone 4 Black 16GB
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear you loud and clear. Mine runs just as hot in standby mode.

Solution: I just unplug the thing when it's not in use now. I don't use the autosync feature anyways.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trustory wrote:
Apple TV has a 48 watt power adapter which compares to the 60 watt one on my MacBook so it doesn't seem to bad.

While 48 watts if great if the device is in use. It is unacceptable if the device is not in use.

I personally do not own Apple TV so I can not comment on what the power consumption should be in sleep mode, or whether all ATV's run hot when not in use. However the Mac mini is only using 2-3 watts of power in sleep mode. This has been measured and it is equivalent to the minis power consumption when off (but plugged in). This is how devices should operate.
shorafix

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Bandit Bill"]
trustory wrote:
...the Mac mini is only using 2-3 watts of power in sleep mode. This has been measured and it is equivalent to the minis power consumption when off (but plugged in). This is how devices should operate.
That's it! It seems that AppleTV doesn't feature a "sleep mode" at all. I just wonder why those guys from GreenPeace have not yet screwed Steve Jobs for that reason. While Apple concentrates on biodecradable cardboard packages for their hardware, they fail to implement an effective sleep mode for AppleTV2. Please correct me if I am wrong! Please! Twisted Evil

By the way: 48 Watts x 24 hours/day x 365 days x 235.000 devices sold (http://blogs.business2.com/apple/2007/07/steve-jobs-forg.html) = 99 Gigawatthours per year worldwide isn't it?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: