123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

*another* security update?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac OS X
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thekonuskid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 3:42 pm    Post subject: *another* security update? Reply with quote

is it me, or is there another security update? i didn't check the tech specs on it, but it looks like an 18mb+ update.
greg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the previous security update broke 64-bit application support in Tiger. The follow-on update resolves the issue.

http://www.macnn.com/articles/05/08/18/64.bit.computing.glitch/
Dell 1905FP
Logitech Wave Cordless Desktop
thekonuskid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i hadn't noticed a thing. but at least they were (relatively) on top of things to get a fix out quickly. good good good.
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thekonuskid wrote:
i hadn't noticed a thing. but at least they were (relatively) on top of things to get a fix out quickly. good good good.

Do you think Microsoft would have owned up to the mistake that fast? Razz
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you actually hear Apple own up to the fact? They just threw out another patch, they never said "oops, our bad." Apple is notoriously bad about fixing problems with their computers, be it hardware or software, though its much more on a hardware side.

I just hope someone got fired for this. It was a really dumb mistake, they just didn't include a library or API or something as 64bit, just the 32bit version.
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
thekonuskid

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah... that's why i said they were "relatively" on top of things... if they were truly on top of things it wouldn't have been left out. but i'll forgive 'em, dagnabbit, because that's the kind of guy i am. quite honestly, i'm just so happy to be free from windows that any mistake apple makes is easily forgivable. my mini (which i got on april 14th... a date i'll always remember because it was my first bite of an apple) was my first mac and it's nice to only have to downlad security updates every once and a while instead of three times a day.
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thekonuskid wrote:
quite honestly, i'm just so happy to be free from windows that any mistake apple makes is easily forgivable.

I guess anything is better than having to run Windows Update and Norton LiveUpdate for daily protection. Very Happy
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
philpro68

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to know if anyone here that has downloaded the update has had problems printing wirelessly? I have a powerbook that I have been printing wirelessly through my mac mini hooked up to my 2wire router, and have been printing flawlessly until I downloaded the security update (both of them) Now, it don't show my printer, it just say's you need to add a printer, or there is no printer to share. While messing with the settings, like a flash it will show up, then within seconds, it is gone. Now, I can't get it to show at all no matter what I do. I have gone through setting the share preferences and firewall settings to no avail. I have posted this in the apple forum and have had no response, any suggestions?
bsnoel

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susurrus wrote:
Did you actually hear Apple own up to the fact? They just threw out another patch, they never said "oops, our bad." Apple is notoriously bad about fixing problems with their computers, be it hardware or software, though its much more on a hardware side.

I just hope someone got fired for this. It was a really dumb mistake, they just didn't include a library or API or something as 64-bit, just the 32bit version.

Maybe they are turning over a new leaf? They just announced today that they are extending the warranty on all 1st generation iMac G5s to two years. (For specific issues only.) They even state if needed they will extend the program further than that. In other words they finally have owned up to all the problems the iMac G5 owners have been struggling with.

http://www.apple.com/support/imac/repairextensionprogram/
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bsnoel wrote:
Maybe they are turning over a new leaf? They just announced today that they are extending the warranty on all 1st generation iMac G5s to two years. (For specific issues only.) They even state if needed they will extend the program further than that. In other words they finally have owned up to all the problems the iMac G5 owners have been struggling with.

http://www.apple.com/support/imac/repairextensionprogram/

Enough class actions will get a company's attention. Thank God some part of the legal system sort of works.
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac OS X All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: