123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airport Express vs. Airport Extreme

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AJagor92

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:33 pm    Post subject: Airport Express vs. Airport Extreme Reply with quote

I have a Macbook, Mac Mini, and 2 iBooks. I'm in DESPERATE need for a new wireless router, and I'm having trouble deciding between Airport Express & Airport Extreme.

The big question here is between 802.11g & 802.11n. I'm stuck on 802.11b here, so either one is going to be an improvement. Is there a big difference?
2Gb Ipod Mini
Jbl Speaker/Ipod Dock
BT Keyboard/Mouse
60 Gb iPod Video (stolen)
30 Gb iPod Video U2 Edition

Dell Inspiron 5100 Laptop
Windows XP

Dell Dimension 4300 Used as Media Center. (rarely used)
Mookie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't own either one (here's mine), but I would go with the Airport Extreme for the 802.11n spec and better range. Even though it sounds like you only have one Mac that supports the higher speed. And that's if you don't need the AirTunes functionality. The Airport Extreme also supports Air Disk and Gigabit Ethernet if that is important to you.
mdgm

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Airport Express vs. Airport Extreme Reply with quote

AJagor92 wrote:
I have a Macbook, Mac Mini, and 2 iBooks. I'm in DESPERATE need for a new wireless router, and I'm having trouble deciding between Airport Express & Airport Extreme.

The big question here is between 802.11g & 802.11n. I'm stuck on 802.11b here, so either one is going to be an improvement. Is there a big difference?

Speed is no longer an issue as the Airport Express has just been updated to 802.11n

Get the Airport Extreme if you want to connect an external usb hdd or connect computers via ethernet. Otherwise get an airport express.
trustory
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Airport Express vs. Airport Extreme Reply with quote

mdgm wrote:

Speed is no longer an issue as the Airport Express has just been updated to 802.11n

Get the Airport Extreme if you want to connect an external usb hdd or connect computers via ethernet. Otherwise get an airport express.

No new Airport Express on the UK store Sad. I'll probably have to get an Airport Express as nothing on my network uses wires and its much cheaper than the Extreme.
iPhone 4 Black 16GB
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is anyone using AirPort Express as their main wireless router in a house? How is the range. Also, I'm not sure that its speed is the same as the Extreme just because it now has n standard. I don't think it has gigabit ethernet.
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
Is anyone using AirPort Express as their main wireless router in a house?

I am. I have been using an Airport Express for almost 2yrs now. I print wirelessly from a minimum of 5 machines but, normally have 7-8 connected at any one time. Works flawlessly. (a mix of b & g machines BTW, all print perfectly)

Fox wrote:
How is the range. Also, I'm not sure that its speed is the same as the Extreme just because it now has n standard. I don't think it has gigabit ethernet.

The range is great, no issues in my home. You may be correct about the "N" thing, I too noticed it shows a 10/100 WAN so, it will be faster than "G" but, not quite "N" specs. Now, that being said, we all know you'll never really reach those specs anyway, I'm sure it'll be a huge improvement in any light.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
UpNorth

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have DSL (768K/300K I think...) going into a NetGear "G" wireless router. My Mini is wired to the router, so the only thing I'm looking to do w/ Airport Express is to send my Music from the Mini (bedroom) to my receiver (living room).

I can get a prior-model refurb Airport Express on Apple Store for $69.99, whereas a new Airport Express (N) is $30 more. It doesn't really get me anything more though right? I realize it's 'N' and not just 'G', but do I care? The only things that use the WiFi are my TiVo (G) and a ThinkPad (G or B).

So in my case, it would be pointless to get the "newest" Airport Express (N) right?
Taos

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two Airport Express stations creating one g network with three macs. The base stations are hooked up to speakers in different rooms. One is on the DSL modem and is soon to have a printer on it, the other is in the roof with a speaker cable running to it.

I have used Airport Express since the end of 2004, prior to that I had a graphite base station, which I got in 2000, it died from the faulty capacitor issue.

I love the Airport Express, Airtunes is one of my favourite features and still manages to impress 4 years after it was released. The network is extensive and reliable.
- Pioneer VSX-LX50
- Bose AM 10 Series IV, Bose AM5, Bose 101, Bose 151
- G4 Al PB 12", G4 Al PB 17" and MBP 13"
- Airport Express x 2, Airport Extreme
UpNorth

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taos wrote:
...I love the Airport Express, Airtunes is one of my favourite features and still manages to impress 4 years after it was released. The network is extensive and reliable.

Thanks for the info!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: