123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Releases DVD or CD Sharing Setup

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:53 am    Post subject: Apple Releases DVD or CD Sharing Setup Reply with quote

Apple Releases DVD or CD Sharing Setup
Thursday, March 6, 2008
Posted by: Brian

Apple has released its DVD or CD Sharing Setup software on the Web today. According to the company, this update installs software that enables remote disc sharing, system software restoration, and wireless migration with MacBook Air. The DVD or CD Sharing Setup software weighs in at 61.4MB. It requires Mac OS X 10.4.11 or Mac OS X 10.5.1 or later.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/899.html
mojofrojo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are we able to use this software on other macs? Would love to be able to use the disk drive on my upstairs mac when I'm on my Ibook in the living room.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mojofrojo wrote:
Are we able to use this software on other macs? Would love to be able to use the disk drive on my upstairs mac when I'm on my Ibook in the living room.

According to the description:
"About DVD or CD Sharing Setup
This update installs software that enables remote disc sharing, system software restoration, and wireless migration with MacBook Air."

However, the software does exist, so we can guess that it will probably be available for all Macs in the near future.

It could even mean the next version of the Mac mini (new form factor or not) could very well be without an optical drive (in order to reduce it's price tag even more). I hope it uses the Time Capsule form factor, allowing it to use a 3.5" drive (which has more capacity, is faster and also costs less).
2nd gen. iPod shuffle (1 GiB)
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yvan256 wrote:
It could even mean the next version of the Mac mini (new form factor or not) could very well be without an optical drive (in order to reduce it's price tag even more). I hope it uses the Time Capsule form factor, allowing it to use a 3.5" drive (which has more capacity, is faster and also costs less).

I like the 3.5" hard drive idea, but not so much the dumping of the optical drive. I think that would be a mistake for a desktop computer. Plus, it only takes like 1/2" tops.
CaliforniaMini
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben_tex wrote:
Yvan256 wrote:

I like the 3.5" hard drive idea, but not so much the dumping of the optical drive. I think that would be a mistake for a desktop computer. Plus, it only takes like 1/2" tops.

2x

Don't think size reduction is as important or thought to be as important in a desktop as in a portable. Although, in the near future, I'm sure we'll see all optical drives go away as the newest 'thing' comes into place . . . possibly all ota.
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't saying "no optical drive" for the sake of a smaller computer, but for the sake of a lower price tag.

And with this software, you could use the optical drive from another computer or even buy the Macbook Air drive (if Apple makes the new Mac mini USB ports compatible with it of course, which they can).
2nd gen. iPod shuffle (1 GiB)
stupkid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't this included in the Leopard 10.5.2 update?
mojofrojo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yvan256 wrote:
I wasn't saying "no optical drive" for the sake of a smaller computer, but for the sake of a lower price tag.

And with this software, you could use the optical drive from another computer or even buy the Macbook Air drive (if Apple makes the new Mac mini USB ports compatible with it of course, which they can).

Seems to me to be the next logical choice. When I saw the external drive for the Air all I could think about was " Thats a quick way to upgrade my combo drive." Still think they are shooting themselves in the foot with that. A good looking, cheap external drive for the older mac's in circulation. And a decent choice to upgrade when you don't want to crack open your mini.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stupkid wrote:
Wasn't this included in the Leopard 10.5.2 update?

Yes it is. I think this is just for Tiger 10.4.11 and Leopard users that haven't made the leap to 10.5.2.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: