123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Updates MacBook and MacBook Pro
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think Apple needs to or should compete in the $599 laptop space, but it would be nice to see them come out with a new (not refurbished) $799-$899 MacBook. I don't see a product like that detracting anything from the Apple product line or experience. All that I see that doing is bringing more new Mac users into the fold. I think that is a good thing. And let's be honest here, the new MacBooks are priced a premium even though they are well dressed out. There are a lot of nice Dell and HP laptops out there with comparable specs for less money. I'm just afraid that Apple is losing some sales when the average person goes into Best Buy and makes the price comparison.
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben_tex wrote:
There are a lot of nice Dell and HP laptops out there with comparable specs for less money. I'm just afraid that Apple is losing some sales when the average person goes into Best Buy and makes the price comparison.

I'm not too familiar with HP's lineup, but in terms of Dell's, the MacBook is pretty damn competitive. If you configure an XPS M1330, which is Dell's 13.3" Core 2 Duo notebook, with similar specs to the base model MacBook it comes out to about $75 more, though the Dell would have a DVD burner, while the MacBook only has a combo. If you configure an XPS M1330 with similar specs to the midrange MacBook, it comes to $1399 - $100 more than the MacBook with nearly identical specs.

Frankly, in my experience when it comes to consumers considering a Mac or a Windows machine, the major hurdle is the OS difference, not a 10% to 15% price difference.
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if customers want a smaller notebook? Sony is already unsettled by the prospect of customers demanding machines like the Eee PC.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyBoy wrote:
What if customers want a smaller notebook? Sony is already unsettled by the prospect of customers demanding machines like the Eee PC.

I think that little Eee PC is turning out to be an industry changer. Asus could really build on that thing going forward. So, I think you could add Apple, Dell and HP to the worried list too. I think it would be cool if Apple had a multi-touch device between the iPhone and the MacBook. I'm talking like a little tablet for $799 with an 8" to 12" screen.
iLife's a Bitch!
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:
I think it would be cool if Apple had a multi-touch device between the iPhone and the MacBook. I'm talking like a little tablet for $799 with an 8" to 12" screen.

Yes! Something about the size of a DVD case, maybe slightly larger... Cool
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cypher wrote:
I'm currently waiting on a pay increase (and back pay) which should have been in Februarys wages. Thankfully it missed so I now have to wait for March's pay, otherwise I would probably have order one of the old models two weeks ago. Now I can get the updated version. Sweet Very Happy

Hold on a sec, Cypher! Before you place your order, it seems that the new 2.1GHz MacBook benchmarks slower than the 2.0GHz model. Would you believe it?
http://www.primatelabs.ca/blog/2008/03/macbook-performance-march-2008/
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad that doesn't look to clever does it.

My pay rise doesn't appear to be going to plan either, so even the macbook is now looking very unlikely Embarassed

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cypher wrote:
Sad that doesn't look to clever does it.

Well the good news is that the 2.0 and 2.2 GHz machines are selling with a price cut. I saw a 2.2GHz BlackBook going for £789 inc. VAT.

Cypher wrote:
My pay rise doesn't appear to be going to plan either, so even the macbook is now looking very unlikely Embarassed

Argh Cypher, I'm sorry to hear that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: