123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Updates MacBook and MacBook Pro
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:36 am    Post subject: Apple Updates MacBook and MacBook Pro Reply with quote

Apple Updates MacBook and MacBook Pro
Tuesday, February 26, 2007
Posted by: Glenn

Apple today updated its MacBook and MacBook Pro notebook lines with the latest Intel Core 2 Duo processors, larger hard drives and 2GB of memory standard in most models. In addition, MacBook Pro includes the latest NVIDIA graphics processors, now with up to 512MB of video memory, and Appleā€™s Multi-Touch trackpad, first introduced in MacBook Air. All Mac notebooks include a built-in iSight video camera, MagSafe Power Adapter, and built-in 802.11n wireless networking.

Read more...

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/892.html
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was really hoping for the multi-touch trackpad to be included on the MacBook. I've been thinking about picking up the entry-level model lately.
iLife's a Bitch!
trustory
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:
I was really hoping for the multi-touch trackpad to be included on the MacBook. I've been thinking about picking up the entry-level model lately.

It is a shame i imagine it will be included in the next revision.
iPhone 4 Black 16GB
kyle

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am half tempted to pick up a 'black-book' to use as a desktop. I am tired of Apple not releasing a headless computer that is not 3 g's...

Maybe I can hold out for a mini update if there is going to be one. Confused
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apple giveth and then taketh away. It's pretty sad when you can't throw in a $5 dollar remote with a $2500 computer. I see this feature coming to the iMac and Mac mini next. Sad
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kyle wrote:
I am half tempted to pick up a 'black-book' to use as a desktop. I am tired of Apple not releasing a headless computer that is not 3 g's...

I think that the MacBook's potential as a desktop "Turbo Mini" is really under-rated. I know it's almost twice the price, but it's got the upgraded graphics card, the 4GB memory capacity and the quicker CPU that everyone hankers after. You've just got to order a display adapter, and you're away... Cool
aquaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally ordered a MacBook Pro this morning. I really wanted it to have the new MacBook Air type keyboard, but what are you going to do? At least it has the Multi-Touch touchpad and a bigger hard drive than before. The faster processor and video card aren't shabby either.
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is it just me or did the L2 Cache get reduced from 4Mb to 3Mb? What's that all about? I noticed the MPB is now 6Mb so that's a small bump but, to go backwards on the rest doesn't make sense. . .
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
CaliforniaMini
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I'm tempted to order a black 2.2. I've been eyeing these for a couple of weeks now as a replacement for my TiBook 400 which is finally dying after seven years. But for mainly taking notes in class, this still makes for an expensive paperless notebook. Confused
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hackersmovie wrote:
is it just me or did the L2 Cache get reduced from 4Mb to 3Mb?

That is correct. It might have something to do with the move from 65nm to 45nm architecture. That being said, I thought the Penryns were all going to be 6MB. Confused
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben_tex wrote:
That is correct. It might have something to do with the move from 65nm to 45nm architecture. That being said, I thought the Penryns were all going to be 6MB. Confused

I believe the cache on the Penryn (45nm) is "up to" 6MB. As with many Intel mobile processors, the lowest end models seem to get the cache halved.

Looks like Apple is using the "Penryn 3M" for the MacBooks and lowest end MacBook Pro, and the standard Penryn with 6MB of cache for the MacBook Pro 2.5GHz and 2.6GHz models.
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ClunkClunk wrote:
I believe the cache on the Penryn (45nm) is "up to" 6MB. As with many Intel mobile processors, the lowest end models seem to get the cache halved.

That seems to be the way. I wonder if they got maxed at 6MB for some reason and just decided to half it there. Like Hacker said, going backwards with 4MB doesn't make sense. To be honest, I'm not sure it really matters. The benchmarks between chips with 2MB and 4MB in the same family were never mind blowing.
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice.

I'm currently waiting on a pay increase (and back pay) which should have been in Februarys wages. Thankfully it missed so I now have to wait for March's pay, otherwise I would probably have order one of the old models two weeks ago. Now I can get the updated version. Sweet Very Happy

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The combo drive must die! Mad

Honestly, who would buy a laptop for over a thousand smackers with just CD burner? Even a majority of the $500-$800 laptops at Best Buy come with a DVD burner. It's time to drop the combo drive like a bad habit and stop using it as a way to up-sale computers Apple. This includes using it in the Mac mini as well.
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scooper wrote:
The combo drive must die! Mad

Agreed. Set it as standard equipment across the board, and leave a CTO option to get it with a combo drive for something about $35 less.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: