123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AirPort Extreme base station questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TMZNUT

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:42 am    Post subject: AirPort Extreme base station questions Reply with quote

Nice site you guys have here! I'm about to order an AirPort Extreme base station and I have two quick questions.

1. Does anyone know where the actual antennas are located in the base station? Should I be worried about blocking it from the sides?

2. I plan on connecting two of my Macs with Ethernet. Does it really matter if I use Cat 5e or 6 cabling for Gigabit performance? Will there be lesser performance with Cat 5e?
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: AirPort Extreme base station questions Reply with quote

TMZNUT wrote:
1. Does anyone know where the actual antennas are located in the base station? Should I be worried about blocking it from the sides?

I wouldn't "block" any part of it. The antenna's are on top, I believe. For best wireless reception leave it out in the open. It's pretty anyway, let everyone see it! Laughing

TMZNUT wrote:
2. I plan on connecting two of my Macs with Ethernet. Does it really matter if I use Cat 5e or 6 cabling for Gigabit performance? Will there be lesser performance with Cat 5e?

I don't think it will matter. I could be wrong but, all that is required for gigabit ethernet is Cat5e. . . Good luck! Post some pics if you can.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
TMZNUT

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: AirPort Extreme base station questions Reply with quote

I would love to keep it out in the open, but I'm not sure the setting will allow it with all the wiring. It would be boxed in, but the front and top of the base station would be completely open.

Thanks for addressing the cable question! I just wanted to make sure.
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you already have the Cat5e cables in place, I would stay put. But I would recommend going with Cat6 if you're going with all new cables. This article covers all the differences between the two. It's a pretty good read. There are definitely a few advantages with going with Cat6. They are also priced about the same from someone like Monoprice, so that isn't an issue either.
TMZNUT

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link Ben_tex.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: AirPort Extreme base station questions Reply with quote

hackersmovie wrote:
I wouldn't "block" any part of it. The antenna's are on top, I believe. For best wireless reception leave it out in the open. It's pretty anyway, let everyone see it! Laughing

Actually, there are three antennas. One on each side (near the back), and one on the very front.

Here is a disassembly guide.

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac/Airport-Extreme-802-11n/Disassembly/200/1/

I really wouldn't worry about blocking them. I have mine underneath a desk and the signal is crazy strong throughout our two-story house. It's the best router that I've ever owned.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: