123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airport Signal Fluctuating?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aargh-a-Knot
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:22 am    Post subject: Airport Signal Fluctuating? Reply with quote

I was having some problems with my mini, but somehow fixed them. I thought I would share my experiences in case anyone else was having the same issues.

The problem: I bought my mini on ebay, and everything seem ok. However, I noticed that the signal strength on my airport connection to my Linksys Router would fluctuate between full bars to no bars. I had had my iBook hooked up in the same spot for months with no problems. Then I upgraded my ram on my mini, and the airport reception seemed to get worse. It would be full connection for a couple minutes, then go down to nothing. I could hold my iBook right next to it, and it would have full bars, while the mini had none.
WTF?

The solution: I changed the name of my network from the default "linksys" to something else, and while I was at it, I changed which channel it was connecting at, from 6 to channel 2. For some reason, this completely fixed my problem. I have full connection all the time now. I don't understand WHY this worked, only that it did. So I f you are having problems, try these steps and see if it works. BTW, I made these changes in the Linksys Administrator page, or whatever that is called. Type in 192.168.1.1 to your browser and it'll pull it up. This is only true for Linksys, tho.
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there other wireless networks in your area? If so, it is entirely possible many of them operate also on channel 6, causing the problems you saw. If not, it may be other electronic devices causing interference.

Good catch on that, I think far too many people blame the computer for signal quality issues, when wireless networking requires both pieces of equipment to be functioning normally.
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished reading another wireless thread on the ehmac website where a person having trouble with their wireless connection following a 10.5.2 upgrade changed the SSID number with good success. This seems consistent with what opensky42 did.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: