123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Unveils Mighty Mouse
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
idave

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xforce11 wrote:

I think the squeze buttons need to be moved back a hair and the scroll ball is too sensitive on the Foward & Back in Firefox. But I love the Expose & Dashboard features.

I agree with your comments about the buttons. The squeeze buttons are a total nightmare and the scroll ball is way to sensitive. The software is good, but not enough to overcome the bad buttons. I've already gone back to using my Wireless Microsoft Intellimouse.
2.0GHz Core 2 Duo Mac mini '09 (sold)
2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 Mac mini
bsnoel

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

idave wrote:
xforce11 wrote:

I think the squeze buttons need to be moved back a hair and the scroll ball is too sensitive on the Foward & Back in Firefox. But I love the Expose & Dashboard features.

I agree with your comments about the buttons. The squeeze buttons are a total nightmare and the scroll ball is way to sensitive. The software is good, but not enough to overcome the bad buttons. I've already gone back to using my Wireless Microsoft Intellimouse.

I guess that I am the lucky one. I started reading bad reviews on the ergonomic shortcomings of the Mighty Mouse shortly after I ordered one from the Apple Store. I promptly canceled my order and received a refund from the Apple Store. Reading some of the comments here in the 123MacMini forums confirms that I made the right decision.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bsnoel wrote:

I guess that I am the lucky one. I started reading bad reviews on the ergonomic shortcomings of the Mighty Mouse shortly after I ordered one from the Apple Store. I promptly canceled my order and received a refund from the Apple Store. Reading some of the comments here in the 123MacMini forums confirms that I made the right decision.

Are you using an Apple mouse? You should re-think about getting one if you're using the wired Apple mouse. I had the chance to see one in person over the weekend and came away impressed. First off - I really liked the shape and feel of the mouse. The sensors in the front do a great job of determining what finger is being used and the scroll ball is very smooth. I don't know why people are saying it takes time learning how to position your fingers. It felt totally natural in like two minutes. There are few bad things; like the side buttons are positioned a little wrong and the scroll ball depresses a little too easily. That being said, the Mighty is still 1000 times better than the one button mouse. I would've bought one in a heartbeat if they were wireless.
iLife's a Bitch!
diulei

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got to try out a Mighty Mouse today and i have to say, it's not very mighty. It looks nice, the scroll ball works, but the clicking just didn't cut it for me.

All my right clicks turned out to be left - unless I actually lifted up my left finger, just as many of the reviews said. I've also seen some posts about how to position my hands, and believe me, I tried. There was no way to right click without first moving my index finger, which, needless to say is very annoying.

Perhaps if someone I know gets one I can actually use it for a longer period of time to see if I like it. Not at a store using a display model.
resuna

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:
Are you using an Apple mouse? You should re-think about getting one if you're using the wired Apple mouse.

I don't get it. If you don't like the Apple mouse there's about umpty-zillion alternatives. I like the Microsoft Basic Optical Mouse myself, and that costs about $15.00. There's no reason to limit your mouse options to just the ones from Apple.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

resuna wrote:
g5g5 wrote:
Are you using an Apple mouse? You should re-think about getting one if you're using the wired Apple mouse.

I don't get it. If you don't like the Apple mouse there's about umpty-zillion alternatives. I like the Microsoft Basic Optical Mouse myself, and that costs about $15.00. There's no reason to limit your mouse options to just the ones from Apple.

I understand what you're saying, but some people out there like the one button mouse. At the least, Mighty Mouse gives one button lovers a scroll wheel without totally giving up on the one button concept. Other people just want to keep all their Apple stuff matching. I'm not that way, my setups are a big multi-brand mess.
iLife's a Bitch!
resuna

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:
I understand what you're saying, but some people out there like the one button mouse.

I got that, which is why I'm asking why people who don't like it would be re-thinking it just because of this one... why they didn't get a third-party mouse already.
Quote:
Other people just want to keep all their Apple stuff matching.

There's even some Mac-styled mice that are available, including at least one with two buttons and a scroll wheel. It's not like the Apple name is magic.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

resuna wrote:

There's even some Mac-styled mice that are available, including at least one with two buttons and a scroll wheel. It's not like the Apple name is magic.

Try telling that to the Mac Zealots! Wink

I'm using two different Logitech mice right now. I like the feel of the scroll wheel on Logitech mice. There's a small clicking noise when you scroll. Microsoft mice don't do this. They just roll without any feedback. The Mighty Mouse's scroll ball has the same feedback as the Logitech scroll wheel. I'm telling you the wireless Mighty Mouse WILL be my next mouse. Good lord maybe I'm turning into a Zealot! Laughing
iLife's a Bitch!
resuna

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:
I'm using two different Logitech mice right now. I like the feel of the scroll wheel on Logitech mice. There's a small clicking noise when you scroll. Microsoft mice don't do this.

I'm using a Microsoft mouse. I don't like the feel of the scroll wheel on the Logitech mice. The Microsoft mouse has just a little bit of feedback that lets me know I'm rolling it, when I'm rolling slowly, without making it stiff to move.

I'd still rather have proper third button drag instead of any wheels.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IBM use to have a scrollpoint mouse that was good for scrolling. I don't know if they make it anymore. Confused
iLife's a Bitch!
resuna

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:
IBM use to have a scrollpoint mouse that was good for scrolling. I don't know if they make it anymore. Confused

I have two of them. Unfortunately the "scrollpoint" nub only goes forward and back, and is far too sensitive in any case.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought you could scroll up/down and left/right. Does your trackpoint or scrollpoint looks like one found on Thinkpad keyboards?
iLife's a Bitch!
resuna

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:
I thought you could scroll up/down and left/right. Does your trackpoint or scrollpoint looks like one found on Thinkpad keyboards?

No, these ones have a wider nub and an abbreviated third button in front of them. I got them for UNIX because they were the closest thing to real 3-button optical mice I could find.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

resuna wrote:
g5g5 wrote:

No, these ones have a wider nub and an abbreviated third button in front of them. I got them for UNIX because they were the closest thing to real 3-button optical mice I could find.

Here's a picture of one.
http://www.almaden.ibm.com/cs/user/tp/tpmouse.html
iLife's a Bitch!
resuna

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:
http://www.almaden.ibm.com/cs/user/tp/tpmouse.html

Damn, that's *three* different versions of the scrollpoint mouse. Some of the guys here have ones that look like 3 button mice with the "nub", but the middle section isn't a button.

They don't scroll sideways either.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: