123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Streaming from MediaSmart server

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wyzard

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:03 pm    Post subject: Streaming from MediaSmart server Reply with quote

Good morning.

I'm interested in setting up my Apple TV to stream to video from my MediaSmart server if possible.

I'd really like to use my ATV without needing to have iTunes running, however, if I have to then I'll live with it.

If anyone know how to do this, and can provide detailed instructions, I would appreciate it.

On a side note... is it possible to have my music, etc. store on the MediaSmart server and have iTunes "see" it without having to have all my videos, music, etc directly on my iMac?

Thanks for the help.
kes601

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do have to have iTunes running for the AppleTV to stream and/or sync your media.

I'm not really sure what a MediaSmart server is, but if it can be mounted as a drive in OS X, then you just need to go into iTunes, go to prefs/advanced, and make sure to uncheck the option for having iTunes copy the music.

Then you would just need to drag the media into iTunes. It will be added to the iTunes library, but will not be copied to the iMac.

That being said, the AppleTV will only play mp4/h.264 video files that meet certain specifications. So, if your media is not in that format then all of the above is a moot point.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: