123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Releases Mac OS X 10.5.2
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Halfbuiltrobot

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hackersmovie wrote:
Halfbuiltrobot wrote:
woohoo, about time too

I hope this fixes the memory leaking issues
I've noticed a drastic DECREASE in RAM usage, don't know if it's related to what your asking but, my machine seems a lot peppier. . . .

This was one of my major issues with leopard, the fact that over the course of a day the memory would just seep away and warrant a re-start when operating large images and layouts.

I came across quite a few rumors that this was down to memory leaking, or poor handling of the memory...... seems to be a lot better on my machine now though;)

http://www.wildimaging.com/
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been pretty vocal in my criticism of Leopard. But I've updated the MacBook with 10.5.2 and the graphic update and from the limited time I've had so far to play with it, I'd have to say that it's much better. More responsive, faster graphics, more memory efficient, seems less buggy and I can finally switch off that awful translucent menu bar.

Time will tell, but this now appears to be up to the standard that we've come to expect from a Mac OS.
garty

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OGN wrote:
aquaman wrote:
I take back my earlier comment. After another restart, it has gone back to the same old, same old. Is anyone else here having trouble with other networked computers showing up under Shared on the Finder Sidebar? I have it checked in the Finder preferences and all. They just don't show up all the time. I'm at a loss here. Sad

You are not alone Aquaman. I have had the same issue with "Shared" computers showing up correctly in Leopard since it first came out. I even tried creating another user account again tonight, but it does the same thing. It's pretty darn frustrating.

I used to have that problem, turned out that when I upgraded the Leopard the workgroup setting in the network settings wasn't copied over, once I set that up again I've never had problems.

Still have problems with iTunes and my library on a network share, iTunes won't see the music files until I connect to the share with finder. Damn annoying.
talltodd

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I updated and things work fine. However, it still did not fix my main problem of copying files to a windows share.
herbg

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

talltodd wrote:
I updated and things work fine. However, it still did not fix my main problem of copying files to a windows share.

That's strange, it's always worked for me, even before the update.

Herb
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just installing it on my daughters..... fingers crossed.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
aquaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garty wrote:
I used to have that problem, turned out that when I upgraded the Leopard the workgroup setting in the network settings wasn't copied over, once I set that up again I've never had problems..

I'm not 100% sure where that workgroup setting is. I'll have to take a look at my network settings again. Confused
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just installed the upgrade on the two G4 macs in my home, a mini and a Cube. Again, I used the Combo updater, repaired permissions after the installation and then downloaded the graphics updater. No problems on either install, so that makes four I've installed with no problems. I did see my first "variant" on the Cube. Unlike the other macs, the video card doesn't do core graphics and I was not given the option of menubar transparency. The menubar has always been grayish on my Cube, so I never had a funny-coloured menubar to begin with.
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody troubles with iSync?
Other people have problems with Linotype Font Explorer<http://forums.macnn.com/90/mac-os-x/361615/10-5-2-update-problems-linoty
pe/>
<http://www.fontexplorerx-board.com/viewtopic.php?p=1364>
There is a update on Linotype though...
Zalez

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like having the new Time Machine icon up in the menubar and being able to run backups at any time. I think those were nice additions in 10.5.2. It's also cool how the hour and minute hands go backwards while you're backing up. Just another cool touch to the UI from Apple. I also like that you can now change the icon for Stacks.
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
A solid menu bar and hierarchical menus. I feel complete again! Sometimes change isn't for the better Apple. Wink

Did'n you install Tiger by accident? I don't see those options you mentioned?
Zalez

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James T Kirk wrote:
devo wrote:
A solid menu bar and hierarchical menus. I feel complete again! Sometimes change isn't for the better Apple. Wink

Did'n you install Tiger by accident? I don't see those options you mentioned?

You can turn the translucent menbar on or off in Desktop & Screen Saver in System Preferences. The new menu options are available for your folders next to the Trash. They added List view, display as a Folder, and a couple of Sort by options. These are mostly the options you had in Tiger.
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zalez wrote:

You can turn the translucent menbar on or off in Desktop & Screen Saver in System Preferences. The new menu options are available for your folders next to the Trash. They added List view, display as a Folder, and a couple of Sort by options. These are mostly the options you had in Tiger.

Boy, that single possiblity in Desktop and screensavers I totally missed! Razz

The added list view I already found out. Still no official way to change the background of the dock though...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: