123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stylish Stand for Mac mini

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:15 am    Post subject: Stylish Stand for Mac mini Reply with quote

Stylish Stand for Mac mini
Thursday August 11

Princeton of Japan has introduced the Stylish Stand for Mac mini. The Stylish Stand is an acrylic enclosure designed to protect and hold the Mac mini either vertically or horizontally. The stand is made out of 3/8" thick flame polished acrylic and stands (W) 7 3/8" x (H) 8 11/16" x (D) 2 15/16". Open slots on the front of the Stylish Stand provide ventilation and access to the Mac mini's optical drive whichever side it is turned on. The back of the stand is open for access to the ports and power button. An included thumb screw can be inserted into the back of the stand to lock the Mac mini in place. The kit also includes 8 rubber feet to prevent the stand from sliding around on your desktop. At this time, there is no information on pricing or availability.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/342.html
diulei

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought "Stylish" was an adjective not part of the name. I should have guessed since it's Japanese eh?

Maybe I can go to Akiba one of these days and see if I can find it.
piggyhack

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's Akiba?
krez

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:37 pm    Post subject: very nice Reply with quote

I think it's gorgeous. Might have to pick one up.
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

piggyhack wrote:
What's Akiba?

I think it's a city. I found some references to products being released locally there or some such. I was originally going to say he meant Ikea. And then I was going to Akihabara. And then I googled. Mmmm, google...
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
poisonfist

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susurrus wrote:
piggyhack wrote:
What's Akiba?

I think it's a city. I found some references to products being released locally there or some such. I was originally going to say he meant Ikea. And then I was going to Akihabara. And then I googled. Mmmm, google...

Akiba is not a city, it is a pocket, or a neighborhood in Tokyo where there's block after block of hundreds of electronics stores. Tokyo is so vast it is mind boggling. After a visit to Tokyo (my home actually, I grew up there till I was 19) you will find any major city in the states "tiny".

Amazon Japan is already taking orders for these, it is listed as 6130 Yen, close to US$60. Usually, shipping something of that size from Japan would cost around $30, so with tax, it would probably end up being about $100.

328i sport package
E Pluribus Unum

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:37 am    Post subject: New Stylish Stands.... Reply with quote

Forget it!
Can you feel how much heat is coming of the processor and motherboard from the fan slots?
The weakest link in the chain of our mini´s is the fan, vents and heat buildup - Apple has made the base too close to the unit mount pads.
G5 Dual 2.3GHz ordered
andp

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: New Stylish Stands.... Reply with quote

E Pluribus Unum wrote:
Forget it!
Can you feel how much heat is coming of the processor and motherboard from the fan slots?
The weakest link in the chain of our mini´s is the fan, vents and heat buildup - Apple has made the base too close to the unit mount pads.

I agree. I'd be more concerned with blocking the bottom vents on the Mac mini. Those little vents aren't there for looks.
E Pluribus Unum

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: New Stylish Stands.... Reply with quote

andp wrote:
E Pluribus Unum wrote:
Forget it!

I agree. I'd be more concerned with blocking the bottom vents on the Mac mini. Those little vents aren't there for looks.

I am waiting for Stylish Cheese Covers for the mini and ASD Power Adapter.

Last edited by E Pluribus Unum on Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poisonfist wrote:
Akiba is not a city, it is a pocket, or a neighborhood in Tokyo where there's block after block of hundreds of electronics stores. Tokyo is so vast it is mind boggling. After a visit to Tokyo (my home actually, I grew up there till I was 19) you will find any major city in the states "tiny".

That's pretty much what I meant to say. I figured it was similar to Akihabara*, that place has everything. I've been to Tokyo and I really liked it as I'm a Technophile. A tad too crowded for me, but yes, HUGE city.

All I have to say is that, even as Stylish as that stand is, it's not really worth $100.
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
poisonfist

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, it is definitely not worth paying $100 to get it here. I would also be concerned with the heat issues like many others have mentioned here.

Akiba is Akihabara, Japanese like to shorten, sometimes flip the order around with names. Like "Gurasan" is a term Japanese use for sunglasses. The way we would pronounce it, it would be SAN (sun) GURASU (glass), flipping the order and shortening it makes GURASAN. Cool

328i sport package
castufari

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susurrus wrote:
All I have to say is that, even as Stylish as that stand is, it's not really worth $100.

If you were an Apple fanboi you'd already have one. Very Happy If it came in a selection of colors and patterns (including Hello Kitty) then you'd have one of those, too.
diulei

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes, Akiba = Akihabara. Geek heaven I'd say.

I actually feel more depressed when I go there because there are too many things I want but can't afford.

And yes, with maybe the exception of NYC, Tokyo dwarfs all of America's "major" cities. There are TOO many people here. Looking forward to sunny California in 3 days. Very Happy
poisonfist

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diulei wrote:
Ah yes, Akiba = Akihabara. Geek heaven I'd say.

I actually feel more depressed when I go there because there are too many things I want but can't afford.

And yes, with maybe the exception of NYC, Tokyo dwarfs all of America's "major" cities. There are TOO many people here. Looking forward to sunny California in 3 days. Very Happy

NYC is still a midget compared to Tokyo dude. To me, it feels like NYC, Chicago, Boston, SanFransisco, L.A., Phillies, etc. all adjacent to each other. A little train ride takes you in between these places.

328i sport package
diulei

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never actually been to NYC so I just assumed that. I'm from the SF area, been to LA (lots), Chicago, DC, Hong Kong and yes...Tokyo absolutely makes them ALL look puny.

HK, NY, Chicago, all have taller skyscrapers but Tokyo just does NOT stop. The first time I went to the top of a high rise in Tokyo and looked out I was amazed. I literally could NOT see the end in 360degrees. This city is GREAT but its a little overwhelming at times.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: