123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac Netwroking

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rando1968

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:33 am    Post subject: Mac Netwroking Reply with quote

Is anyone having trouble getting a Mac to talk to a VISTA machine? I have 3 machines on my network 2 windows 1 mac. The Mac sees the XP machine fine, it used to see the other machine when it was running XP but now doesnt after I upgraded to VISTA. I was wondering if anyone has any info on this.
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does your XP machine "see" the Vista machine?

If so, have you tried conecting via IP? (Finder -> Go -> Connect to Server..., smb://<ip address of Vista machine> )
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
rando1968

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmm...good quesion i'll have to check. I tried connecting via ip and I could get the Mac to connect. I also need to make sure I have the drive shared right VISTA has a bunch more options I think I need to have on.
Dragonfly

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My home network consists of a Mac Mini, two Vista boxes, two XP boxes and a Windows R2 Server. Once I got the mini on the same workgroup, there was no problem accessing back and forth between all computers.
rando1968

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume your Mini is running OSX? My I-mac can be seen by the VISTA machine but only when I run XP on it. How do you change a workgroup on a Mac?
lee_macca

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had to change a value of something in the vista registry to get it to see the mac, cant remember what i changed though now.
ebuddy555

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 1:19 am    Post subject: Setting Mac's Workgroup for Windows Reply with quote

To change your Windows workgroup in Mac OSX 10.4:

Open Applications>Utilities Folder>Directory Access

Click the pad lock and authenticate as administrator of the Mac.

Click SMB/CIFS and Click the Configure button.

Change the Workgroup Name to desired name (case sensitive)

Match the same workgroup name for all PCs on your network and your Mac will be included in the same workgroup as the PCs.

done.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: