123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple TV VS Mac Mini

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rando1968

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:01 pm    Post subject: Apple TV VS Mac Mini Reply with quote

Can you do everything on a Mac Mini that you can do on Apple TV? I cant find HD rentals under I-tunes and Front Row doesnt seem to let me rent anything.
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iTunes rentals should work on everything, however only the AppleTV can do HD rentals.
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't let HD rentals be the determining factor. Especially since we haven't seen them in person yet. Don't forget, we're talking 1280 x 720 max with some compression. Is that really HD anyways? Wink
stupkid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get HD content with things like Miro or Bit Torrent on the mini too. I'm thinking (like others I'm sure) that the mini is going to be stepping on the Apple TV as it begins to increase in robustness, perhaps even replacing the mini line with Apple TV. I wouldn't like that, but I could see it happen.
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stupkid wrote:
You can get HD content with things like Miro or Bit Torrent on the mini too. I'm thinking (like others I'm sure) that the mini is going to be stepping on the Apple TV as it begins to increase in robustness, perhaps even replacing the mini line with Apple TV. I wouldn't like that, but I could see it happen.

A lot of people say that, but I don't see it happening. They really are two separate products. One is a home entertainment device, the other is a SSF desktop computer (which happens to make a nice HTPC because if its size). If they dumb down the Mac mini spec wise, who would buy it? People are already complaining about the Mac mini being underpowered. I guess they could boost the specs, but could they really keep selling it for $229? They also need to keep the price of such a device down to compete with the likes of the Xbox, PS3, VUDU and SlingCatcher. Like I said before, I just don't see it happening.
rando1968

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Mini already which I was going to put into my entertainment center. I like front row but I cant understand why Front row shows me movies that are avalible for rental but doesnt let me rent them. plus it only shows me 10.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: