123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

File transfer / streaming rates
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doug Eldred
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:40 pm    Post subject: File transfer / streaming rates Reply with quote

Currently, I have an AirPort Express which gives 802.11/b/g access to my cable modem, and a MacBook that has 802.11/n. If I add an Apple TV, which does 802.11/n, what speed will it transfer/stream from the MacBook at, the "n" speed they both have, or the "g" speed of the AirPort Express? There's no Internet involved, so I'd guess "n", but am I right?

Put another way, if I add an Apple TV, do I also need to upgrade to an AirPort Extreme base station to give the MacBook/Apple TV "n" speed?

Doug
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually I would have guessed at the "g" speed. The content will only be able to be transferred at the Macbooks fastest speed. I think of it like this, The macbook sends the info to the express at "G" speed so the Airport Express can only send it to the ATV at "g" speeds. . .

I may be wrong but, that theory makes a lot of sense to me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Doug Eldred
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the AirPort Express is in the loop, I'd agree. I was thinking that perhaps the MacBook and Apple TV talked directly to each other, since both have AirPort Extreme (n) built-in.

Doug
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahh... I'm not sure if that's how it routes the media or not. Good thought though, I'll be watching this thread myself for more info.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Grover Time

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug Eldred wrote:
Currently, I have an AirPort Express which gives 802.11/b/g access to my cable modem, and a MacBook that has 802.11/n. If I add an Apple TV, which does 802.11/n, what speed will it transfer/stream from the MacBook at, the "n" speed they both have, or the "g" speed of the AirPort Express? There's no Internet involved, so I'd guess "n", but am I right?

The Airport Express doesn't support 802.11n. Plus, if you have one 802.11g device connected to your 802.11n network, the rest of the 802.11n devices will slow down. Am I missing something here?
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grover Time wrote:
Doug Eldred wrote:

The Airport Express doesn't support 802.11n. Plus, if you have one 802.11g device connected to your 802.11n network, the rest of the 802.11n devices will slow down. Am I missing something here?

Yes. Does the machine stream directly to the Apple TV or does it go through the Airport Express?

My thought is the Express negotiates the connection but I could be wrong.
Grover Time

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your router is always going to handle everything. I mean unless you set up Internet Sharing or something.
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grover is correct. Unless you create a "Computer-to-Computer" (Apple's term for adhoc) network, your router will be handling all traffic, therefore operating at whatever speed it operates at.

Even if you upgrade the router to an 802.11n capable Airport Extreme, if an 802.11g device joins that network (like an Airport Express), the overall network speed will slow to 802.11g speeds. You can avoid this by running an ethernet cable from the Airport Extreme to the Airport Express, and disabling the Express' wireless system (or have it create it's own separate network). USB printer sharing and AirTunes will continue to work. Of course, this assumes you actually can run a cable between the two.
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can bypass your wireless 802.11b/g router with Internet Sharing. This will let you take full advantage of 802.11n between a Mac with 802.11n and the Apple TV. You just need to go into System Preferences -> Sharing. Highlight Internet Sharing and select share from Ethernet (you'll still need this connection) to computers using Airport. Once you turn it on, go to your Apple TV and select the network in settings. There is a drawback though. AirPort cards typically have a weaker outgoing signal than a your average router. Things could get sketchy the further you get away from your Apple TV.
Doug Eldred
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. It sounds like I need to upgrade to AirPort Extreme to get full "n" speeds for MacBook - Apple TV transfers/streaming.

Doug
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes! Excellent! I've wondered this for a while now!
Doug Eldred
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, it seems to run at the broadband speed, which is usually much slower than either 802.11/g or /n nominal rates! Sad

But, it seems to be faster than my Mini was transferring from my MacBook, which may or may not be "real" or instead related to overall traffic.

So at this point I don't think upgrading to an Extreme will help me much.

Doug
Doug Eldred
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or maybe not... The transfer rate shown on my Mac is in excess of the cable provider's nominal speed, and also in excess of its "turbo" speed, though not by much, and VERY consistent. So, maybe it IS doing Mac to AirPort Express to Apple TV internally, so a faster AirPort would help. Ah, decisions, decisions...

Doug
sandor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grover Time wrote:
Doug Eldred wrote:

.... Plus, if you have one 802.11g device connected to your 802.11n network, the rest of the 802.11n devices will slow down. Am I missing something here?

this is not correct. one of the major improvements of "N" is that "G" devices will *not* slow down "N" devices when used on the same network.
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sandor wrote:
this is not correct. one of the major improvements of "N" is that "G" devices will *not* slow down "N" devices when used on the same network.

Apple says otherwise.
Apple wrote:
Speed and range will be less if an 802.11a/b/g product joins the network.

From what I've read, if an 802.11g client joins the network, the 802.11n clients drop down to about 108mbps, while the 802.11g clients connect at 54mbps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: