123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

quake 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Gaming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JAKE DW

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:22 am    Post subject: quake 3 Reply with quote

i was wondering if you could play quake 3 on a mac mini...if so i heard something about quake 3 being free now or something...can anyone fill me in?
1s gen iPod Touch 16g HDD Jailbroken
32g iPad wifi
8g iPhone 3GS black
stupkid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if it has been Open Sourced yet, but that is usually what Id does with their games after a few years (like 10 years or so). I know that if you have any copy of the game you can download the installer for your particular platform. For example if you bought the Windows version, but want to run it on a Linux system you just have to download the Linux installer and provide your Windows CD. Quake 3 runs Mac, Windows, and Linux; Id is cool like that. I wish more gaming companies had that kind of flexibility.
redmelons

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: quake 3 Reply with quote

JAKE DW wrote:
i was wondering if you could play quake 3 on a mac mini

The OS X installer is available from ioquake3

Quote:
The Quake 3 engine is open source, this does not mean that Quake III: Arena the game is free. You must purchase the game to use the data, or make your own game!

you can use a Quake 3: Arena CD-ROM from any version of Quake 3 (Windows, Linux, Gold, etc) to get the needed pak0.pk3
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand why you need a mac os x installer for quake 3 when quake 3 is mac os x compatible??
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

macmanmacman wrote:
I don't understand why you need a mac os x installer for quake 3 when quake 3 is mac os x compatible??

Quake III Arena came out in late 1999, two years before OS X was on the scene. It's entirely possible someone purchased Q3A while it still only had an OS 9 installer.
redmelons

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

macmanmacman wrote:

I bought the Windows version of Quake III to get the data files to install on my Amiga One (933MHz G4 PPC). When I got an Intel Mac mini I was able to use the same data files with the ioquake3 installer.
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weird i didn't know this. The version i have is mac os x complient.
hkiphone

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:51 am    Post subject: ioQuake3 works brilliantly on PPC G4 Mac Mini! Reply with quote

Just wanted to report that this ioQuake3 works wonderfully on my PowerPC G4 1.25Ghz Mac Mini.
I got 1GB ram installed and ugraded 160GB 5400rpm HDD.
I increased all display configs to max, except for resolution to 1024x768 (the max a 15" LCD will take) and runs superbly. Even with 8 bots against me on an mid-sized map, "Bring it on" difficulty, it runs so smooth.

I've been wishing for this for so long, I practically gave up searching for any way to play this again, aside from maybe installing VMware/WinXP just to play it!!! I used play this and Unreal Tournament almost non-stop, and online too. A good thing I still kept my original Quake3 CD!!!
Now, my hands are not as quick as before, but its still a great laugh.
Thanks to all for resurrecting this game to me!

BTW, I dont know about others, but when I downloaded the .DMG file, it took me quite a long time to mount the image and unpack the files to my Leopard Download folder. It slowed down my machine quite abit. But just let it run for about 5-8mins, and all will be ok.
Maybe even see some of you guys online!!!
Mad Mini 2.0

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ioquake 3 is not working so good for me, Im running intel version,

The game gets choppy briefly and the sound skips badly here and there.
I tried complieing it from source, still the same thing. I hope they iron this out. Im running leopard.
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would just go and purchase a new copy of quake 3 from amazon at least you will have the mac os x installer then and you won't be dealing with the problems.
stupkid

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The install I have is working really well on my mini at 1024x768 with all the eye candy turned on. I downloaded my build from from icculus.org a month or two ago, but I thought that icculus and ioquake were the same projects.
emax4

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it is free, sort of. It's open source, but the people who tinkered with the code came out with a new product; OpenArena. Here's the link:

http://www.openarena.ws/

It runs very well, although right now I'm using a 1.2 GHz G4 with a Radeon 9000 64MB card. I just purchased a Mac Mini but haven't received it yet.
Morg

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey uhhh there is a free version of this game called Open Arena, just google open arena mac download and check it out, its pretty much the EXACT same as quake 3 arena, and runs fine on my 1.83 ghz mac mini, and youy can use quake 3 arena mods, maps, and player models if you download them. fun game so download it. after i did, im into quake now so im thinkin of getting enemy territory: Quake Wars but im not sure if my mini could run it smooth enough to be playable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Gaming All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: