123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tiger install disc specific to Mini?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac OS X
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtruett1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:32 pm    Post subject: Tiger install disc specific to Mini? Reply with quote

Let me state at the outset that I am not trying to scr*w Apple, having purchased 8 Macs and every operating system since OS 6.
What I would like to do is use the Tiger install DVDs that came with my new Mini on my G5 using an internal disk I use to back up all of my data. I want to go through the whole, hours-long procedure with all of my current data and re-install all of the drivers, preference panes, etc. Then I want to clone (using Carbon Copy Cloner after updating to 10.4.2 so it will authenticate) the whole sheebang to a partitioned disc on the mini.
My question is this: I read on a forum somewhere that the Tiger install disc may or may not be specific to the Mini's hardware setup - no one really knew the answer.
Is this the case, or is it a Tiger installation that will work on any hardware that can run Tiger?
If I did the whole install on the Mini instead, using the Transfer program and firewire from my G5, then clone that to the G5 disk as a backup, will it run without problems on the G5. If all is well, I'll buy multiple licenses or the family pack. I just want to set it up this way for my own reasons. Thank you for any help you can provide. I'll wait for answers before proceeding.
Don Truett
coletstaats

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

me my sister and my dad all have macs, I was the only one with tiger, my sister has a mac mini as well and was able to download tiger but my dad wasn't being as he has someother kind of older mac. So to answer what I think is your question, the download discs only work on other mac minis.
Toastman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does the mini come pre loaded with something higher than 10.3.7? i think i may have accidently loaded the OS disk it came with (10.3.7) but i think it was something higher.. can i just DL an upgrade to 10.4 or have I messed up and cant get it back? what have i done???
poisonfist

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems that the disc is Mac Mini specific. I tried booting from the OSX (10.4) disc supplied with the Mini on my Tibook (Onyx) but I got a message stating that I could not install on this hardware. I got the same message with my wife's iBook G3,PowerMac G4 (Sawtooth) and my iBook Clamshell. The only way I got the Tiger loaded on my Tibook was cloning (using Carbon Copy Cloner) from my Mini with the target disc mode on my Tibook (all my other obsolete macs are still running Panther.). I will eventually purchase Tiger for all our macs but I wanted to do some experiments with my portables since I heard through the grapevine that Tiger is more processor hogging (battery hogging) than Panther.

328i sport package
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac OS X All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: