123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Loss of TCP/IP settings when mini wakes from sleep

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IKEAboy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:29 am    Post subject: Loss of TCP/IP settings when mini wakes from sleep Reply with quote

Guys,

I've searched through the threads and can't seem to find anything relating specifically to my problem, so I decided to post a thread and seeketh thy help. Ok, problem is as follows...

1. My mac mini has been working perfectly since I got it about a month ago. It's connected directly to my home LAN via ethernert cable. All internet and network functions were fine up until about 2 weeks ago.
2. Now, whenever my mini goes to sleep, when I wake it, the TCP/IP settings are gone and it takes the mini about 1 minute to re-establish the router setting (which is always 192.168.0.1).
3. It seems to get the IP address and Subnet Mask address quickly, but the Router address is slow in appearing in the network settings.
4. Once the router address appears, Safari will load whatever page it is sitting at no problem.
5. Internet and network functions will then work perfectly until the mini goes to sleep again.
6. This was not happening prior to two weeks ago, and I haven't changed any setting anywhere on either my mini, or my WinXP gateway machine (which I use to share out the internet connection to my LAN).

Any Ideas?

I Googled my problem and found someone that has the same problem, and that they reckon it started after installing the 10.4.2 upgrade. When I seen this, I came to the conclusion that it was about the time I done the upgrade too that my TCP/IP settings started to vanish after sleeping.

Does anyone else have this problem? It doesn't crippple the mini, it's just annoying that I have to wait while the settings appear (especially when it wasn't doing this before).

Thanks Guys... Any help mucho appreciated.
iPod Mini - 4G
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you manually assigning the Mac mini an IP address or using DHCP? Simple things first: Have you tried restarting your router or broadband modem? You should also try going into System Preferences > Network and Renew the DHCP Lease.
IKEAboy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
Are you manually assigning the Mac mini an IP address or using DHCP? Simple things first: Have you tried restarting your router or broadband modem? You should also try going into System Preferences > Network and Renew the DHCP Lease.

Hi Devo, Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

Ok, I'm just using the "Automatic" setting for assigning the TCP/IP settings. Regarding DHCP, there is nothing entered in the DHCP box. I have tried each of the combinations of "Using DHCP", "Manually" and "Manually with DHCP". When I set the IP maunally the mini does not pull back the router address at all and I can't connect to the internet at all as a result. The same happens if I try "Maunally with DHCP". When this happens, the network Status tells me that "My mac mini has an IP address set but may not be able to connect to the internet"... and it can't. I have to set it back to Automatic before the router address gets assigned.

Clicking the Renew DHCP Lease button does nothing at all.

I have tried rebooting the gateway machine (and hence the broadband modem) but I still get the same delay when waking from sleep on the mini.

I've tried switching off the firewall completely on the gateway machine too. Makes no difference! I had thought the firewall on the WinXP machine was maybe blocking the mini's access, but it's not that either.

btw... I am just using the standard "Automatic" location for the mini. I tried creating a new location and manually setting the IP, Subnet Mask and Router address, but as mentioned above, when I do this, the network status just tells me that the mini has an IP allocated and "may not" be able to connect to the internet (thats because there is no Router address assigned).
iPod Mini - 4G
IKEAboy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahaaha....

I've fixed it Very Happy

It was the TCP/IP settings on the WinXP gateway machine. I started to play around with the settings in there and was testing the mini's ability to wake from sleep and obtain the Router address quickly.

So, for the benefit of anyone else who might stumble on this thread looking for answers to the same problem, here is what I done to resolve my problem....

1. Open "Network Connections" from Control Panel on the WinXp machine.
2. Right click on the "Local Area Connection" entry and select "Properties". This opens up the Properties dialog box for the connection.
3. Select TCP/IP entry and click "Properties".
4. Click the "Advanced..." button to see the advanced settings for TCP/IP.
5. Select the "DNS" tab and ensure that both checkboxes down at the bottom are checked, i.e. "Register this connection's addresses in DNS" and "Use this connection's DNS suffix in DNS registration" (Both these boxes need to be checked).
6. Once this is done, click "Ok" and close the Advance TCP/IP dialog box and "Ok again on the other two dialog boxes behind.
7. I can now set the mini to sleep... then wake it and the TCP/IP settings are populated within 2-3 seconds (which is probably the norm).

Hope this might help anyone else in the same situation.

Oh Happy, Happy Mac mini days again Laughing

Thanks again for your help Devo... Much appreciated.

iPod Mini - 4G
        devo
        Veteran Member
        Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear you're up and running without the delay. I thought you might have either a DNS or DHCP conflict. I recently had to change my DNS settings.
        Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
        Page 1 of 1

Jump to: