123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Writing a new Java program

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:45 pm    Post subject: Writing a new Java program Reply with quote

Well, yesterday at work I had nothing to do because I've been waiting on this guy to get back to me on work I'm supposed to do for his website, but I'm done with all the work I can do because I have questions on the rest and I can't start my next project because I need to finish this because the next one is going to take forever and require the rest of my time down at my internship. Okay, I'm done ranting.

I've written a program that runs in the command line. It's written in Java, so it'll run on whatever you've got, probably even a cellphone, though I'm not sure J2ME supports the javax library, though I haven't looked into that. I won't ask how you'd use the command line on a Symbian, anyways.

So far what the program does is strip trailing white space from the end of lines of plain text files. We're talking .java, .html, .txt, anything you can open in Notepad or in Plain Text format in TextEdit. It also has the option of replacing any text in the document so long as it doesn't span lines, though I don't know why you'd cut something in half and then search for it later with any other text. It can do multiple files at once, though they need to be listed individually. I'm working on adding regular expression support to declaring files you wish to include so you could type *.doc and it'd do this to everything that ends in .doc.

My goal with this program is to make it into that oddball text editor that would be nice to have to do those one or two things that really bug you (like deleting trailing whitespace) so I'm wondering if anyone has any features they'd want for automatically analyzing and modifying sintax or content of plain text files. I could add rich text support, though I find that unneeded as this is mostly for programming or those small text files one could use for notes.

I'm thinking of maybe adding a GUI if this would be worth it. Right now it has white space removal and it can replace, though I added the latter just because I wanted to play around some more with regular expressions and file I/O.

If anyone wants this, I can post it up somewhere and link to it. I'll add a GPL license to it before I do this, though.
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:04 am    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

Okay, I've decided to turn this program into something a lot more complicated. I want to turn it into an automatic formatter for programing source files. Right now I'm working on getting my program to read formatting instructions from an XML file that has a DTD associated with it. The DTD will allow XML formatting files to be created for other programming languages. I have a DTD up for ML programming languages, so HTML and XML variants should be easy to format once I get my program supporting the formatting files.

What I'm planning on doing is having all of the formatting being stored in the XML files so that one could write some source code, tell my program to load it the associated formatting file, and then it can format whatever file you want using that XML file.

Hopefully I can add a GUI later to allow the development of XML formatting files for the non-programming types or the lazy.

I don't know how Sourceforge works, but eventually I plan to have it up on there so that whoever wants to contribute, can.
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: