123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Intros MacBook Air
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iMav wrote:
Bandit Bill wrote:
I bought my G4 mini more that 2.5 years ago. Now that I have a C2D mini I was thinking of selling my G4. My best friend wants to buy it for $325 (1/2 of a new C2D) and so does my girlfriend. Problem is I don't want to get rid of it.

You should buy your girlfriend a new one!! Where has the romance gone?? Wink

If I didn't still have a use for it I would give it to her so I wouldn't t have to fix her PC anymore. That would be like a gift to both of us Smile

I haven't had much experience networking Macs, sharing itunes, iPhoto, VNC etc. so besides the G4 acting as a media server for my living room its a lot of fun doing the techie networking stuff.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for not getting back. The Giants were on! Smile

Bandit Bill wrote:

Yah, I was pretty quiet about getting the new mini. It didn't seem so special being I was a little late to the party Smile

Better late than never! Smile

Bandit Bill wrote:
To be honest the G4 is and was a fine machine. The C2D is faster but NOT notably faster in day to day activities (internet, email etc.) to the point were is is worth the $ to upgrade.

Rip something with HandBrake and then come see me. Wink

Just kidding. The real truth be told, the speed of most of these systems are closer than most people would lead the masses to believe. It makes me laugh when people make the Macs with Core Duos sound like dinosaurs.

Bandit Bill wrote:
Leopard is hardly worth the upgrade either do to the fact that there is so much good freeware already available (superduper etc.) for Tiger. The only thing that I have found compelling in Leopard is screen sharing via finder and I had to hack it so that I don't need to type in the remotes IP adress each time I access it.

That is one of the better features. I'm really big on Spaces, Quick Look and TM as well. By the way, check this out for screen sharing if you haven't already.

Bandit Bill wrote:
Bottom line any mini with Tiger on it is still a great machine, just get RAM and external storage

I would assume that you have 2GB in your new mini? Did you get the 1.83GHz or the 2.0GHz model?

Bandit Bill wrote:
I couldn't get over the iMacs new screen. It's not that glass that is the killer for me. It's the blurry looking text. I've looked at 6 or more different iMacs and they all look like crap to me. For the average user they are great machines. If however you already have a ACD and you're picky like me the new screens are tough to swallow.

I can't get past the glare, but I hear you. The panels in the 20" models aren't even close to being in the same league as the ACDs. I also thought the viewing angles were extremely poor. I wonder if some of that blur you are talking about could be toned down by changing the font smoothing style in System Preferences > Appearance? I noticed the same thing.

Bandit Bill wrote:
If Apple would ever release a model between the mini and Mac pro without a display they could get a few more of my $'s but I'm not going to buck up for a huge, overkill Mac Pro as home user.

I'll be right in line behind you if it can drive dual displays. Although, I feel like I have multiple displays with Spaces. Smile
Peter Mount

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct me if I'm wrong but it looks to me like with the MacBook Air Wireless networking is supposed to take over from the extra USB 2.0 ports and even Firewire. How would that fair in real life situations for most people? Wouldn't that slow things down or create compatibility problems?

I suppose I can see the attraction in being able to use an external optical drive. That way when it breaks down you just buy another one, rather than having to send the whole laptop back in for repairs.

I'm thinking if I bought a laptop the Macbook would be better value. Can somebody "show me the light"?

I've got a web development business and a Mac Mini would suit my needs for that anyway, unless I found I needed a laptop to take to meetings with clients.

Thanks

EDIT: I think I'll stick with buying either the Mac Mini or just maybe the MacBook (if I go for a laptop). The MacBook Air probably wouldn't suit me I think. I'm worried about the non replaceable battery and the lack of USB and Firewire ports.
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter Mount wrote:
I'm worried about the non replaceable battery and the lack of USB and Firewire ports.

The Macbook Air does have a single USB port which you could plug a USB hub into get more.

I don't think an Air would be suitable for you. I think its aimed at people who already have another computer and want something as an occasional use portable. (Its think its a a lot of cash for that use though)

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
Peter Mount

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cypher wrote:
Peter Mount wrote:
I'm worried about the non replaceable battery and the lack of USB and Firewire ports.

The Macbook Air does have a single USB port which you could plug a USB hub into get more.

Sorry, that was a bit of a typo. I should have said "only one usb port..." I guess I'm a bit tired Smile

Cypher wrote:

I don't think an Air would be suitable for you. I think its aimed at people who already have another computer and want something as an occasional use portable. (Its think its a a lot of cash for that use though)

Yes, I see what you mean. I think if I was to spend that much on a laptop I'd be better off to spend a bit extra and buy the MacBook Pro.

Have fun.
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter Mount wrote:
I think if I was to spend that much on a laptop I'd be better off to spend a bit extra and buy the MacBook Pro.

Thats what I would do if I had that sort of money. The Air with the external Superdrive is the same price as a 15"Mac BookPro

The other alternative is to save a load of money and buy the Macbook Razz

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
I'll be right in line behind you if it can drive dual displays. Although, I feel like I have multiple displays with Spaces. Smile

Spaces with 2 screens is that much better! Trust me! (imac with 42" plasma connected Shocked )
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter Mount wrote:
I've got a web development business and a Mac Mini would suit my needs for that anyway, unless I found I needed a laptop to take to meetings with clients.

I used to develop web sites for clients (many moons ago) and there was nothing like whipping out the old PowerBook Pismo to show them the work - it was much better than relying on paper printouts or sheepishly asking if you could show them the work on their PC. It really impresses people if you come properly prepared.

The only downside was having to hand the PB back to the colleague I'd borrowed it from... Crying or Very sad
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hackersmovie wrote:

Well put! Also keep in mind, it's got a new, slimmer battery, new type of DVI port w/ accessories, new wireless access to optical drives both Mac and PC, and Bluetooth 2.1 EDR which is on NO other Macs...

Bluetooth 2.1 isn't really special, it's just 2.0 with some power saving advancements, it'll be more important in headsets, mice, keyboards, etc. but not really in a computer.

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dungeon92 wrote:
hackersmovie wrote:

Well put! Also keep in mind, it's got a new, slimmer battery, new type of DVI port w/ accessories, new wireless access to optical drives both Mac and PC, and Bluetooth 2.1 EDR which is on NO other Macs...

Bluetooth 2.1 isn't really special, it's just 2.0 with some power saving advancements, it'll be more important in headsets, mice, keyboards, etc. but not really in a computer.

**ahem** two thirds of your example require a computer so, I would say it's equally important. Not to mention as more devices are released with 2.1 EDR you'll be ready, already.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hackersmovie wrote:
dungeon92 wrote:
hackersmovie wrote:

**ahem** two thirds of your example require a computer so, I would say it's equally important. Not to mention as more devices are released with 2.1 EDR you'll be ready, already.

2.1 is compatible with 2.0.

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: