123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Intros MacBook Air
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iMav wrote:
I thought for sure the new MacBook Air would have at least a marginally smaller footprint than the MacBook. Instead, it is BIGGER!! (MacBook: 12.78" x 8.92" - MacBook Air: 12.8" x 8.94")

That is strange. I also hear you about the thinness factor. I'm not in the market for a laptop, but I would rather have something with a smaller footprint at the same weight. I'm beginning to think more and more that Apple completely missed the boat on this one. I think they should have released what everyone really wanted. A 3/4" thick 12" MacBook Pro with all the bells and whistles.
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyBoy wrote:
After the excitement and good sales figures created by the Asus Eee PC

I'd never heard of this so I checked it out last night and I watch this video
Episode 60 of IT Idiots

Awesome. and only £200 I wish it ran OS X I'd have one tomorrow, or today if I could. Razz

That would be exacty what I am after. The small keyboard and screen doesn't worry me, I've grown with the Psion Organiser and had almost every model of them since they came out so I've typed on some really small keyboards and used some miniscule screens. I currently have an IPAQ 4150 and I manage ok with the on screen keyboard, which is actually pretty awful.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cypher wrote:
Awesome. and only £200 I wish it ran OS X I'd have one tomorrow, or today if I could. Razz

Very Happy

Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that yours Shocked

Running OS X Cool How ?

I can see my wallet running and hiding here. Razz

JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it's not mine. Here's a video that shows the Eee running OS X. Well, I say 'running' - perhaps that should be 'walking'...
http://www.youtube.com/v/9P778PXGDCg
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does seem very slow doesn't it Sad

scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cypher wrote:
It does seem very slow doesn't it Sad

Did you see the Dock come up at the beginning? I never saw that process go so slow. Shocked

I think the Eee PC is a cool little machine though. I might buy one down the road when they come with a bigger screen.
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scooper wrote:
I might buy one down the road when they come with a bigger screen.

Bigger screen Shocked The beauty of it is is small size. I wouldn't want one if it were the same size as a normal laptop, I'm only interested because is more portable.

Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just by coincidence I just saw someone at my photography group with one of those. It's pretty cool looking, but it did make me wish Apple had made one.
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cypher wrote:
Bigger screen Shocked The beauty of it is is small size. I wouldn't want one if it were the same size as a normal laptop, I'm only interested because is more portable.

No, no, no. I mean in the same case. There are rumors of a model coming out with an 8" or 10" screen. Everything else would be the same. I think Asus is going to bump the capacity up at that time as well. I would want one with at least 8GB for Ubuntu.

Bandit Bill wrote:
Just by coincidence I just saw someone at my photography group with one of those. It's pretty cool looking, but it did make me wish Apple had made one.

That would be neat. But I'm afraid if Apple sold one, it would cost three times as much. Sad
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That would be neat. But I'm afraid if Apple sold one, it would cost three times as much. Sad

Apple computers may be more expensive but you get more. I think they are much better value. Whatever extra cost you pay up front you recover through longevity and resale value.

I bought my G4 mini more that 2.5 years ago. Now that I have a C2D mini I was thinking of selling my G4. My best friend wants to buy it for $325 (1/2 of a new C2D) and so does my girlfriend. Problem is I don't want to get rid of it. Right now I have it networked and feeding my television.

I sold my XP laptop for $150 with no regrets and I paid $1400 for it.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
I bought my G4 mini more that 2.5 years ago. Now that I have a C2D mini I was thinking of selling my G4.

Wow, I didn't realize that you had C2D mini. Surprised

I kinda thought that you were going to go with an iMac. How do you like it?
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scooper wrote:
No, no, no. I mean in the same case. There are rumors of a model coming out with an 8" or 10" screen. Everything else would be the same. I think Asus is going to bump the capacity up at that time as well. I would want one with at least 8GB for Ubuntu.

Yes sorry, bigger screen in the same footprint would be nice. But it would also eat the batteries more.

I really wish Apple made one of those, that would complement my iMac much better than a Macbook would.

Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
Bandit Bill wrote:
I bought my G4 mini more that 2.5 years ago. Now that I have a C2D mini I was thinking of selling my G4.

Wow, I didn't realize that you had C2D mini. Surprised

I kinda thought that you were going to go with an iMac. How do you like it?

Yah, I was pretty quiet about getting the new mini. It didn't seem so special being I was a little late to the party Smile

To be honest the G4 is and was a fine machine. The C2D is faster but NOT notably faster in day to day activities (internet, email etc.) to the point were is is worth the $ to upgrade.

Leopard is hardly worth the upgrade either do to the fact that there is so much good freeware already available (superduper etc.) for Tiger. The only thing that I have found compelling in Leopard is screen sharing via finder and I had to hack it so that I don't need to type in the remotes IP adress each time I access it.

Bottom line any mini with Tiger on it is still a great machine, just get RAM and external storage.

Re: iMac
I couldn't get over the iMacs new screen. It's not that glass that is the killer for me. It's the blurry looking text. I've looked at 6 or more different iMacs and they all look like crap to me. For the average user they are great machines. If however you already have a ACD and you're picky like me the new screens are tough to swallow.

The minis still fit the bill perfectly for me. I already have 3 external hard drives, a great Apple Cinema Display and a premium sound system. Even if I bought an iMac I would still have external hard drives, DVD burner and sound, so I don't really see much space saving.

If Apple would ever release a model between the mini and Mac pro without a display they could get a few more of my $'s but I'm not going to buck up for a huge, overkill Mac Pro as home user.
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
I bought my G4 mini more that 2.5 years ago. Now that I have a C2D mini I was thinking of selling my G4. My best friend wants to buy it for $325 (1/2 of a new C2D) and so does my girlfriend. Problem is I don't want to get rid of it.

You should buy your girlfriend a new one!! Where has the romance gone?? Wink

Bandit Bill wrote:
If Apple would ever release a model between the mini and Mac pro without a display they could get a few more of my $'s but I'm not going to buck up for a huge, overkill Mac Pro as home user.

I'd settle for an iMac with dual-link DVI out so I could span to a 30" display. Had something like that been available, I may very well have gone with an iMac over my MacBook Pro. (although I may have supplemented with a MacBook as well). Smile

I absolutely LOVE my 30" HP LP3065 LCD!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: