123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Movie Rentals

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:28 pm    Post subject: Movie Rentals Reply with quote

I get the 30 day thing, but once you start watching you have to watch within 24hrs now that would put me off renting.

I also think they should have gone a sort of Netflix root.

$30/month rent up to 10 films a month etc ($40 for HD)
$60/month for up to 20 etc
Keep them as long as you like but you can only have x rentals at a time.
No lock in for how long you have them or how many times you can watch them.

now that would be cool.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be kind of a cool plan. I'll probably try renting a few movies from the Apple TV, but I can't see myself leaving Netflix. I'm actually more excited about the new podcast section. It will be nice having all that HD stuff in one place. And while we are on the subject of plans, I think it would be cool if Apple offered a Rhapsody type music service through the Apple TV and iTunes. I would sign up for that instantly.
iLife's a Bitch!
WheelSpinners
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a nice idea, but I don't think Apple would do that well with plans priced that high. I think they would have to be more inline with Netflix and Blockbuster plans.
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that was my idea, compete with Netflix Blockbuster etc.

I'm in the UK so I've no idea how many dollars it is to rent a film from Netflix. In fact I've no idea how much it is to rent a film in the UK. I just based my figures on the Apple Rental costs. It was the idea more than the cost I was trying to get across.

WheelSpinners
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can basically get the best Netflix or Blockbuster plan for around $20. That gets you like three DVDs at a time of unlimited rentals per month. In the case of Netflix, that also gets you unlimited streaming of movies. Currency converter puts that at just over £10. I have no idea how that relates to the price of things in the UK. Laughing
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, for now I'll stick with Netflix. If Apple ever decided to offer a similar or better plan, then I would switch. I'll probably try 1 rental just to see how it is but, other than that, I'll stick with my permanent copies. Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see one major flaw in all this and thats the ISPs.

My ISP caps me during peak periods. although they still advertise they offer an unlimited download service. Twisted Evil I can download for only 20 minutes after which time my speed drops to 1mbps for the next 5 hours Sad As I only tend to use the computer during peak periods I would be wary of downloading a lot of movies.

hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YIKES! Shocked No caps here! That really sucks a big one!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hackersmovie wrote:
YIKES! Shocked No caps here! That really sucks a big one!

No, but there may be a new price model coming. Have you heard about what Time Warner is going to start testing in Texas? Mad

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,2250259,00.asp
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think thats where we are going... Metered services which will kill all these movie download services, TV streaming etc before they even start.

Sad Sad

My ISPs get out is they throttle your download not cut it, so you can continue to download so it must therefore be unlimited Sad However I pay for a 4mB service and only have it for 20 minutes a night. Then I drop to 1mB service. Its been like this since May07.

prdamrican

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the biggest problem with rentals will be this... while 24hours to view once started might be OK for AppleTV users (XBOX is 48hours), I don't think it will work for iPod users. I for one, seldom watch an entire movie in one sitting on my iPod. I typically only do so when I am sitting in a waiting room, giving blood, etc. I may stretch a movie out over weeks this way. I mean, if it is something new that I want to see that bad, I will view it at home on the big screen. Also, I have one of the 5th generation iPods... one of the last that will play video out to a TV as I understand it.. so it seems to me that once folks realize they have to rent and watch their movies that quickly on their iPods, that the rental thing may not work out so well... but we will see I guess...
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

prdamrican wrote:
I think the biggest problem with rentals will be this... while 24hours to view once started might be OK for AppleTV users (XBOX is 48hours), I don't think it will work for iPod users. I for one, seldom watch an entire movie in one sitting on my iPod. I typically only do so when I am sitting in a waiting room, giving blood, etc. I may stretch a movie out over weeks this way. I mean, if it is something new that I want to see that bad, I will view it at home on the big screen. Also, I have one of the 5th generation iPods... one of the last that will play video out to a TV as I understand it.. so it seems to me that once folks realize they have to rent and watch their movies that quickly on their iPods, that the rental thing may not work out so well... but we will see I guess...

Apple's target here is to increase ATV sales, not really iPods. Considering in the last quarter they sold 22 million alone! so the time frame while short, should serve to help move some ATV's. . .

(I have an 80 iPod Classic and while they have changed the pin out of the dock connector, I assure you I can still get video out, just have to buy the "new" cables. Crying or Very sad )
TonyMontana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is going to enforce the 30 day limit or 24 hr. limit on an iPod? Software?
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TonyMontana wrote:
What is going to enforce the 30 day limit or 24 hr. limit on an iPod? Software?

Shortly after the release of rentals there was an iPod software update as well. I assume without it you can't view them and with it, it's able to calculate time etc. . .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: