123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

itouch

View previous topic :: View next topic  
expectingrain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:17 pm    Post subject: itouch Reply with quote

Does anyone think Apple will offer an itouch with bluetooth? What improvements do you see coming with subsequent versions? The 8gb looks awesome, but I don't want to get one then have them come out with huge improvements. I was thinking either a remote control or bluetooth on the next version. Thoughts?
LouieMacGoo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got an iPod Touch (8gb) for Christmas from my wife, she bought it at Costco so I have 90 days from date of purchase to return it for any reason. So if there is a significant upgrade to the Touch I can return it and get the "New and Improved" version without a hassle. But I really don't think there will be any hardware updates to the touch other then maybe larger capacity. I believe that the major updates will come by way of software to increase functions and features that have yet to be tapped into other then by jailbreaking it. I guess time will tell though!!!
G3 iMac DV 400mhz 512mg RAM 40gb HD, SuperDrive
Follow me http://twitter.com/louiemacgoo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
expectingrain

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you like the itouch? Is it cool to watch movies on? How is the wifi browser?
UpTheIrons

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very unlikely to see new iPods of any sort at MacWorld, iPods get their own event these days.

As far as the Touch goes, screen is great and movie playback is smooth. The browser is so-so as there is currently no Flash support (yet) so many pages don't display properly. This is supposed to be fixed somewhat soon from what I have read, and will surely be resolved as the SDK picks up steam.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LouieMacGoo wrote:
I got an iPod Touch (8gb) for Christmas from my wife, she bought it at Costco so I have 90 days from date of purchase to return it for any reason. So if there is a significant upgrade to the Touch I can return it and get the "New and Improved" version without a hassle. But I really don't think there will be any hardware updates to the touch other then maybe larger capacity. I believe that the major updates will come by way of software to increase functions and features that have yet to be tapped into other then by jailbreaking it. I guess time will tell though!!!

Damn! Did I get it right or what! Being married with 3 daughter, I don't get to be right to often So I think I'll go celebrate! Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
LouieMacGoo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

expectingrain wrote:
How do you like the itouch? Is it cool to watch movies on? How is the wifi browser?

I really love this thing! I have loaded a couple of movies onto it and they are very watchable. I think the problems that they had with the display early on really made people shy away from the Touch but it looks really good to me and infact compared to my co-workers iPhone it has just as good a display! I can't see a difference between them.

The WiFi Browser in my opinion is great! I have used the Wifi browsers on both Palm and Pocket PCs and the experience on those is just dismal by comparison. Being able to push, pull, and pinch to move through a website is far easier then on the other handheld devices.

Now with the added functions of Mail, Maps, Notes and the other apps this is so much more then you would ever get from a Palm or Pocket PC!

I think the iPod Touch has been over shadowed by the iPhone and suffered from the early display problems and it's early on lack of functionality, but it is a lot better then the critics and media have made it out to be and I think it's the best $300 that my wife could have spent for me!
herbg

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my iPod Touch. I've had it for a few months now and it's become my main iPod. I only use my 5G when I need the larger library. To me, the Touch is both an iPod and PDA. Now that the new apps are out, it's even more of a PDA. The Mail and Notes apps alone are worth $20 to me.

Herb
LouieMacGoo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

herbg wrote:
I love my iPod Touch. I've had it for a few months now and it's become my main iPod. I only use my 5G when I need the larger library. To me, the Touch is both an iPod and PDA. Now that the new apps are out, it's even more of a PDA. The Mail and Notes apps alone are worth $20 to me.

Herb

That how I feel too! The Mail and Notes apps are awesome and I really like being able to create web widgets to put on the home pages. With the traveling that I do even the weather widget is nice to have! Worth the $20 to me!
Doug Eldred
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, and bought the upgrade last night. I do have to admit at being a little surprised that the iPod touch upgrade was $20 while all the other upgrades were free. The iPod touch upgrade really just brings the touch up to parity with the iPhone, which is what a lot of people expected/wanted originally. Maybe it's a trial balloon to see if people are willing to upgrade for a fee versus having to buy the next gen iPod.

Doug
herbg

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Doug, it could be a trial. I know a lot of people have been complaining about it. But think of it like the iLife suite. When a new one comes out, you have to pay for an upgrade but the newly bought Macs have it already.

Herb
Weee
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was also disappointed with the $20 price tag, but I'm totally loving Mail and Maps. Stocks, Weather and Notes are just kind of there for me. I do have a question though. What do you guys think will happen if they come out with new versions of the same apps? Will we have to pay again?
Bobaloo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As soon as I got home on Tuesday, I downloaded the new apps. I'm not complaining about the $20. I am happy that mail is now available. I also like the maps, too. I'm loving my iPod touch. I ripped a Doctor Who DVD and it plays great. I haven't downloaded any rentals, probably won't, since I have Netflix, but if you have a touch, video plays great on it.
AppleTVII
16GB iPod Touch 32Gb iPhone
32GB Wi-Fi iPad
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the Touch allow you to record audio ?

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> iPods All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: