123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Intros MacBook Air
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

curt wrote:
mojofrojo wrote:
I just want to know if the USB superdrive can be used on Mac minis. A fat buck to put DVD burning on my rev a mini? Sold american.

I would bet my life that it works like any other external DVD burner.

Only more expensive and no Firewire!
heulenwolf

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:38 pm    Post subject: Memory not upgradeable Reply with quote

zuzu wrote:
DCGuy wrote:

For me, the dealbreaker on this subnotebook that I was anticipating like mad is the 2GB memory limit!!! At least it could have been upgradable (at time of purchase) to 4GB!

If you look at the motherboard Steve showed during the keynote in the cut-away view of the Air, you can see that the memory is soldered directly onto the board. There are no SODIMM slots like in larger notebooks. There just isn't room. Even making it upgradeable only at the time of purchase means a whole new motherboard design. Since its stuck at one memory size, I'm glad they went with at least 2 GB. It wasn't that long ago that their systems only came with 512 MB by default.

So there's one compromise he didn't list - memory upgradeability. Of course, most "competing" ultraportables aren't memory upgradeable, either.
zuzu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Memory not upgradeable Reply with quote

heulenwolf wrote:
zuzu wrote:
DCGuy wrote:

For me, the dealbreaker on this subnotebook that I was anticipating like mad is the 2GB memory limit!!! At least it could have been upgradable (at time of purchase) to 4GB!

If you look at the motherboard Steve showed during the keynote in the cut-away view of the Air, you can see that the memory is soldered directly onto the board. There are no SODIMM slots like in larger notebooks. There just isn't room. Even making it upgradeable only at the time of purchase means a whole new motherboard design. Since its stuck at one memory size, I'm glad they went with at least 2 GB. It wasn't that long ago that their systems only came with 512 MB by default.

So there's one compromise he didn't list - memory upgradeability. Of course, most "competing" ultraportables aren't memory upgradeable, either.

Yeah, I figured there wouldn't be SODIMM slots, which is also why I figured 2GB or 4GB (or more, since it's a custom motherboard) would have to be configured at time of purchase.

The "512MB default" days were miserable though; everyone immediately upgraded to at least 1GB. There seems to be a serious disconnect between the way people write and use software, and the people making the choices about how much default memory to include. The years of a 2GB ceiling were even worse... so we're back where we started with that. Mad

The lack of higher density memory chips is the direct result of lack of demand by the OEMs; Apple, Lenovo, Sony, et. al. ones dropping the ball here.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

curt wrote:
mojofrojo wrote:
I just want to know if the USB superdrive can be used on Mac minis. A fat buck to put DVD burning on my rev a mini? Sold american.

Super drive does not work with any other mac.

http://macenstein.com/default/archives/1052

You owe me one life there slappy.

Wink
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Memory not upgradeable Reply with quote

heulenwolf wrote:
It wasn't that long ago that their systems only came with 512 MB by default.]

It wasn't that long ago that the Mac mini shipped with 256MB of RAM.

My G4 (which I purchased with Tiger pre-installed) shipped with 256MB RAM, no airport or Bluetooth.

That was just slightly over 2.5 years ago.
gigaguy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it'll follow the iphone model and drop price 30% in 2-3 months.
zuzu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mojofrojo wrote:
curt wrote:

Super drive does not work with any other mac.

http://macenstein.com/default/archives/1052

Actually, it seems to me that the issue referred to in in that article is that Apple laptops from the aluminum Powerbooks to the MacBook Pros have had underpowered USB ports that couldn't drive external slimline optical drives. This has even been a problem for some 2.5" external hard drives, and there are all kinds of workarounds such as power-merging USB cables that combine two ports worth of power into one, etc.

However, Apple does deserve some blame for designing and manufacturing laptops with underpowered USB ports in the first place. The Titanium Powerbooks (although only USB 1.1) do not have this problem.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zuzu wrote:
Actually, it seems to me that the issue referred to in in that article is that Apple laptops from the aluminum Powerbooks to the MacBook Pros have had underpowered USB ports that couldn't drive external slimline optical drives.

If that were the case wouldn't connecting the optical drive via a power USB hub get around it Question

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
zuzu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cypher wrote:
zuzu wrote:
Actually, it seems to me that the issue referred to in in that article is that Apple laptops from the aluminum Powerbooks to the MacBook Pros have had underpowered USB ports that couldn't drive external slimline optical drives.

If that were the case wouldn't connecting the optical drive via a power USB hub get around it Question

Yes, it would. Has this been tested with the Apple external "SuperDrive"?
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought for sure the new MacBook Air would have at least a marginally smaller footprint than the MacBook. Instead, it is BIGGER!! (MacBook: 12.78" x 8.92" - MacBook Air: 12.8" x 8.94")

Sure, it's thinner...but the MBA is going to take up (marginally) MORE space in your briefcase, more space on your airplane tray table, etc than the more powerful and vastly cheaper MacBook.

I think the MacBook Air looks cool...but a laptop's "thinness" really doesn't have any real-world benefit for me. However, its footprint certainly does.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iMav wrote:
I think the MacBook Air looks cool...but a laptop's "thinness" really doesn't have any real-world benefit for me. However, its footprint certainly does.

Exactly, iMav. After the excitement and good sales figures created by the Asus Eee PC, I was really expecting (hoping for) a sub-notebook, and by that I mean a machine with a 10 or 11 inch screen. Ah well. I'm just glad that I bought my MacBook at the beginning of December - I would have been disappointed if I'd waited with the expectation of a UMPC and then been offered the "skinny mini". Smile
Paul W

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the design, color scheme and size, but here are the factors that turn me off.

1.) The glossy screen.
2.) The slow 4200-RPM 1.8" HDD. The 80GB capacity isn't helping either.
3.) The battery situation.
4.) The lack of FW
5.) The sticker price.

I might be able to look past the glossy screen and it not having Firewire, but the rest of those factors will prevent me from buying.
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with all 5 of Paul W

but I would also add the optical drive should have been included in the price. It being an external doesn't worry me too much but it should have been in the package.

and the £9 for the optional remote is just taking the mick. Razz

When you add the cost of the Ext drive and the remote. The air is more expensive than the basic Macbook Pro Shocked
If I had that kind of money to splash around on a notebook, I would go for the 15" Mac Book Pro any day of the week.

Had the macbook air been smaller and cheaper I would have considered it, but as iMav says the footprint means I may as well buy a macbook. An extra couple of pounds in weight I can live with.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Engadget has posted a whole bunch of photos of the MBA:
http://www.engadget.com/photos/apple-macbook-air-first-hands-on/587573/ (Scroll down for the thumbnails)
zuzu

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyBoy wrote:
Engadget has posted a whole bunch of photos of the MBA:
http://www.engadget.com/photos/apple-macbook-air-first-hands-on/587573/ (Scroll down for the thumbnails)

Anyone know if this is the same pin interface as the other MagSafe connectors? ...just with an L-shaped head to fit underneath? Could you use someone else's MacBook or MBP power adapter if you were stuck in a jam without one?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: