123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Intros Time Capsule
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kbulava
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so can u actually use this as a nas drive in addition to a time machine backup device or no?

LaCie 500GB Gigabit Ethernet Disk mini
Apple BT Keyboard/Mighty Mouse, iSight
Vizio 42" 1080p LCD HDTV
CaliforniaMini
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So after spending a bit of time tonight learning more about this, I'm starting to like it more. But my question is how best to use it as secure and adequate storage as well as to back up multiple Macs. Should I get this, or something similar, I would use it to store the most space intensive data, such as video and audio as well as a back up to the Macs.
That concept is simple enough, but then what serves as the back-up to the back-up??? Now, I don't currently have that much data to store (200gigs at the moment) nor is any of it super critical, but I don't want to lose any of it either. The best thing I could come up is to use a 500gb Time Machine to back up each of my Macs and then a 1tb Time Machine to back up the other Time Machines. But then it starts to sound a bit too redundant, especially for my limited needs.
So, my question would be how best to use this, either alone, or with other devices to attempt to achieve simple and secure data storage across the network? I do realize there are many ways to build a raid that would suffice this purpose, but then it takes away from the simpleness of a product like Time Machine.

Thanks!!!
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaliforniaMini, have you thought about using hard drive(s) connected to one of your Macs as a destination for Time Machine backups of your others? Time Machine may require hacks to use an Airport Extreme or NAS drive for backups, but it doesn't require any at all to use a fileshared drive from another Mac.

Here's what I have in my place for backups:
• MacBook Pro (about 80GB internal and 140GB external to be backed up)
• Mac Mini (about 20GB to be backed up)
• iMac (about 15GB to be backed up)
• 500GB FW hard drive hooked to MacBook Pro (destination for TM backups)

All machines are networked (gigabit, though it worked fine over 100mbit before) and have file sharing turned on. The MacBook Pro just uses the 500GB drive as a normal Time Machine drive. For the Mini and the iMac, I just mount the drive, being sure to save the login and password in my keychain, then open Time Machine preferences and set the network drive as the destination. Each machine then creates a sparseimage which it backs up to.

My setup works fairly well, though eventually I'm going to move the TM destination drive to the iMac, since it's the only one that's present and on 24/7 (the Mini gets shut off when not in use, and I take the MBP with me sometimes).

So far it's been reliable, and it's nice that it worked perfectly with equipment I already own.
CaliforniaMini
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more I think about it, the more I think I may have to re-think how I store my stuff. The things that take up the most space - video and audio right now - I store on my external hd. This is to limit the amount of spce used on the internal drive to things that need to be there. But, this presents the probleem or how to back this up. Maybe I'd be better off throwing in a huge hd into one of my Minis and storing all my media files there and then backing that up to an external.
Taos

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the device I am most likely to purchase. Couple of questions though.

Background info.
I need 1TB as content storage for my Mini HTPC.

I have;
- Mac Mini CD 1.83 (OSX 10.4.11)
- 17" Al PB G4 1.67 (OSX 10.4.11)
- 12" Al PB G4 1.5 (OSX 10.4.11)
- Airport Express (I don't know if this is important purchased in 2004 or '03)

Questions
- Since my current network is 802.11g and no option to upgrade to n, apart from the mini, will the Time Capsule drop speed to match the 802.11g network?
- Can you stream video content on a 802.11g network?
- Would the time capsule integrate with the Express?

Off with the fairies?
I'm imagining a network where the Time Capsule streams video and audio content to my mini and PBs and audio to the Express to be played through the stereo, plus backs-up of all 'puters (after a system upgrade). Obviously, not something I imagined until today but it seems reasonable. Doesn't it?[/b]
- Pioneer VSX-LX50
- Bose AM 10 Series IV, Bose AM5, Bose 101, Bose 151
- G4 Al PB 12", G4 Al PB 17" and MBP 13"
- Airport Express x 2, Airport Extreme
kyle

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excuse my ignorance but Vanilla AE is what? Confused
WheelSpinners
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kyle wrote:
Excuse my ignorance but Vanilla AE is what? Confused

He means the plain AirPort Extreme.

http://www.apple.com/airportextreme/
maccanuck

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

non-geek newb query:

We currently have a PPC G4 Mac mini running Tiger and will be adding a new iMac running Leopard. There are also a couple PC's on the same home network. No back-up process currently (I know, I know...we've been lucky so far) I've been looking at external HD's and NAS lately, but the Time Capsule announcement really caught my eye.

At first blush, the Time Capsule seems to be the perfect item. It could serve as router for all, and auto backup for the iMac. Will the PC's and the Tiger mini be able to use it as a backup also, just not automatically? Does anyone know?
Weee
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Will the PC's and the Tiger mini be able to use it as a backup also, just not automatically? Does anyone know?

Yes. It will be just like a hard drive on the network. I'm sure you'll be able to automate things with an app like SuperDuper. You just won't be able to use Time Machine. I ordered the 500GB model this morning. It will be my first Apple router. Not to mention the first with 802.11n, Gigabit and NAS. I can't wait to get it! Smile
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just been looking more closely at this.

I wish they had announced it prior to Christmas. I just bought a 500GB Firewire drive at Christmas, had this been out at the time I think I would have grabbed one.

and also have a built in usb port allowing a network printer would definitely have swung it.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
Texark

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't wait to see one ripped apart. I want to see how the drive is installed in there.
CaliforniaMini
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cypher wrote:

and also have a built in usb port allowing a network printer would definitely have swung it.

It does. But need to use a hub to plug in more than one usb device.

Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just having the one USB port would have done for me. It would have allowed my printer to be truely on the network.

Having that network printer feature and a 500GB drive I would have grabbed one, too bad I just bought the WD 500GB My Studio Sad

My old US robotics router had the printer server feature but when I switched to a wireless router I lost the option of a network printer and just had to have it as a shared printer. I do have a lot of problems with the printer attached to my iMac. It frequently locks and needs power cycling to get it to start printing again. It never did this when it was on the PC.

Does anyone know if the drive can be used for regular storage as well or is it locked to just being a TimeMachine backup drive ?

Crazibri

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with you guys here. I tend to store my data external HD via FW. With Time machine it makes me want to by 1 internal drive. That or since I'm still using a 17" Viewsonic CRT w/ my Mini, I should consider an iMac and get the new monitor, hard drive, and computer in 1 shot.

As for time capsule, I really want to know what kind of drive is in there. I understand the whole server grade drives, but seriously I need specifics so I know that drive wont blow up when I really need it.
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm considering a Drobo, just wish they weren't so darn expensive. Razz

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: