123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Intros Time Capsule
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:45 pm    Post subject: Apple Intros Time Capsule Reply with quote

Apple Intros Time Capsule
Tuesday, January 15, 2008
Posted by: Glenn

Apple today introduced Time Capsule, a backup appliance that automatically and wirelessly backs up everything on one or more Macs running Leopard, the latest release of Apple's Mac OS X operating system including the amazing Time Machine automatic backup software. Time Capsule combines an 802.11n base station with a server grade hard disk in one small package. Simply plug it in, then easily set up automatic wireless backup for every Mac in your house to a single Time Capsule with just a few clicks. Time Capsule offers the benefits of a full-featured 802.11n Wi-Fi base station, and comes in two models: a 500 gigabyte model for $299 and a 1 terabyte model for $499.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/857.html

Last edited by admin on Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
kbulava
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess this would have to be a 3.5" drive in there considering the biggest 2.5" drive is only 320gb then. I wish someone knew for sure...

LaCie 500GB Gigabit Ethernet Disk mini
Apple BT Keyboard/Mighty Mouse, iSight
Vizio 42" 1080p LCD HDTV
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is 7.7" x 7.7". No doubt that helps with the larger drive. I wonder if they will eventually pump up the Mac mini to that size?
CaliforniaMini
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this was the best thing released today. Of course the MBA takes the prize for the best best, but the Mini lover in me likes this the best. Definitely getting one soon. Glad I didn't jump on the new Airport Extreme when they came out.
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this, too. I have three Macs in the house, and it's a pain to look after backing them all up. Buying this would upgrade my router and save time. I'm seriously considering it, but will wait to hear the reviews once it is in use.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this product as well. What a great product if you need a router. Of course non Apple types will opt for a cheap router and a cheap external hard drive.
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on board as well. Come on Feb.!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
idave

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This announcement really was a pleasant surprise. But I wonder what this means for them bringing Time Machine backups to the regular AE? I was really hoping for that going forward.
2.0GHz Core 2 Duo Mac mini '09 (sold)
2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 Mac mini
myminirocks

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah this is the most exciting product for me today, damn i wish i hadn't rushed out and got the vanilla AE!!

They must be expecting 802.11n to hang around for a while then huh? This would be a pretty useless item once 802.11n is obsolete?

Or can anyone confirm yet that it can be used simply as an external HDD?

early days I guess... Sad
Elgato EyeTV Diversity
16G iPhone 3G
Grover Time

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This ain't easy to say with Apple stuff all the time, but I'm actually impressed with the price of these. Most 1TB drives on Newegg are selling for around three bills. Throw that on top of one of the best routers on the market and you have yourself a decent deal. I might buy one if the reviews are decent.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scooper wrote:
It is 7.7" x 7.7". No doubt that helps with the larger drive. I wonder if they will eventually pump up the Mac mini to that size?

It's funny how this is the same size as the ATV and the AE is the same size as Mac mini. I know that really doesn't mean much, but it might mean something down the road. At least we know that Apple still knows how to work with 3.5" drives. Laughing
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
I like this product as well. What a great product if you need a router. Of course non Apple types will opt for a cheap router and a cheap external hard drive.

The pricing of the 1TB is pretty decent at $500, the price of an AirPort Extreme, 1TB HDD, and external case comes to a similar tune, plus this way it's all in one case, same on the 500GB as well.

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I think the pricing is pretty fair. I bet there will be a lot of AE base stations on eBay tomorrow. I'm thinking about putting mine up. Laughing
myminirocks

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit more info over at Appleinsider:
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/01/15/high_quality_photos_and_notes_on_apples_time_capsule.html
Elgato EyeTV Diversity
16G iPhone 3G
zuzu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:

The real trick is the current lack of 802.11n routers that will run DD-WRT so far. Throwing this on the LAN as a gigabit switch and 802.11n wireless access point, while something like the WRT54GL still handles the NAT/Firewall/DHCP, offers an adequate compromise.

I too wonder if this means Apple will correct AirDisk on the Airport Extreme to support these backup features. Most people are terrible about backups, and even with Time Machine, really it was something like this as an NAS to get people to actually use it.

Apple previously had something similar with iDisk for their .Mac service using the Backup.app, but .Mac is expensive and slow and provides miniscule space. If anything .Mac should have become a dynamic DNS service to coordinate with Bonjour through NAT-PMP. Anyway, hackers figured out how to emulate an iDisk -- which is really just WebDAV -- on a local server so that you could trick Backup.app into seeing an iDisk that provided heaps of space and could transfer quickly (i.e. network attached storage). Well, now Apple offers such a product officially and in a turn-key "it just works" fashion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: