123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

iCal icon to current date

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:38 pm    Post subject: iCal icon to current date Reply with quote

I've noticed with iCal the date on the icon changes to todays date when I open the application, but when I close the application the date on the icon always changes back to July 17.

Is it possible to have the icon display the current date when the application is inactive/closed?

I'm running ver 2.0.2, which is the most up to date version.

I'll try having the application open at midnight and see if that does it. Silly to have to do so, but it could just be a bug.
e3mw

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed this as well, and even while I watched the Macworld keynote when Jobs was showing off OSX 10.4 it said the exact same "July 17" date.

I just think that's the icon, but strange that they'd just use some random date like that, even after the program (while open) will show the correct date.
30GB 5th Gen iPod | 512MB Shuffle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Random, no. iCal was originally released July 17th, 2002.

To update the date, you must run iCal. One can do this pretty easily using an AppleScript and running it at startup. Information for this script is at MacOSXHints here.
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susurrus wrote:
Random, no. iCal was originally released July 17th, 2002.

To update the date, you must run iCal. One can do this pretty easily using an AppleScript and running it at startup. Information for this script is at MacOSXHints here.

Thanks, I had looked at those hints. It appears that if running Tiger, no matter what you do as soon as you close the application the date reverts back to July 17. This wasn't the case with older versions of OSX.

I only have 256MB RAM so I'm not going to leave it open all the time. Seeing there are enough people annoyed by it. I'm sure someone will find a way to change it without having to have the program open.
xforce11

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
I'm sure someone will find a way to change it without having to have the program open.

I hope so too!

Mac Mini, Ministack (160 gig), LG Flatron 17"
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need to have the program open. The icon updates once the app opens. Once it closes, it should stay the same until you shutdown or standby I believe.
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
wasted

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:48 pm    Post subject: Unfortunately not correct. Reply with quote

[quote="Susurrus"]You don't need to have the program open. The icon updates once the app opens. Once it closes, it should stay the same until you shutdown or standby I believe.[/quote]

As soon as you close the program it goes back to July 17. I just got into using iCal for the first time since I bought my Mac Mini in January during my vacation a couple weeks ago to create To Do lists for projects to accomplish during vacation and that is when I noticed this.

As long as you close out the program with the X in the upper left corner of the window and don't actually fully Quit the program (Command Q), the date will be correct in the Dock (because it's still open with the triangle below it). Completely quit the program and you'll see what I mean.
nightstriker424

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just quit Ical and the date still is the same i think when you shut down it resets

Ill reply at 12:01 and see if it changes
4gig Nano
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odd. I could've sworn that in Panther iCal left the date correct. I guess this changed in Tiger. I think it's dumb that it does it at all. A startup script built into iCal should run and update the icon if you have it in the dock. It wouldnt' be too hard for Apple to do. Of course, it's bloat, but it's perfectionist bloat.
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: